Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel fuel filter change, what a PITA

16K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  MOTO13 
#1 ·
First off, I changed it out when I first got the car back in 2015 at 13,500 miles. Car now has 46k and the fuel OLM is down to 30%. Yes I know I have a ways to go but since my last UOA shows high moisture, I figure just change it out and go forward. Didn't want to deal with draining it either. Not sure if I got a bad batch of diesel this last tank. It has regened now twice in just under 400 miles. Seems every time I crank the car the STM goes up a point. Just driving 25 miles on open 4 lane to the gym it goes up 4 points. Never did that before so I'm thinking a bad batch of diesel, or at least not a good one.

Well, not sure who the genius is that designed this filter and mount but they need to be taken out side and smacked around. I didn't over tighten the filter when I installed it the last time and now I can't get it off. The entire housing pops out of the mount on the side of the tank. What a stupid design.

I tired putting a strap wrench on the housing and holding it that way and turning the cap off but it wouldn't budge. So it looks the a trip to the dealer.

#3 ·
Do you know the spec for torque? I am at 7 or 8% on Fuel filter and about 38.6k miles, prolly change at 40k or so.

#10 ·
When needed to change my fuel filter the first time, my independent mechanic refused (after trying a couple of ties) cuz it was too tight and he was afraid to brake the housing. Had to take it to a dealer. Soon will be doing myself and really need a good way to loosen it in case dealer has over tighten it.

#11 ·
Can't really say. I changed it out the first time myself and I know I didn't over tighten it. I didn't use a torque wrench but once the housing seated I just put a light snug force on the ratchet, nothing major. Started up checked for leaks and all is well.

The mounting bracket is a very poor design if you ask me. Good thing it isn't changed often because I can see that mount cracking over time.

#13 ·
I've had a similar experience when I changed the fuel filter last year, which very well could have been the same one from the factory. I had to take off the entire housing and have a friend pin it to the ground while I cranked on it with a wrench. Just an overall bad design from GM. I miss the days of doing the fuel filter on a Duramax.

#14 ·
Changed my fuel filter today with my neighbor, took about 20 min, had a big six point socket and a big breaker over bar, was really pretty easy. I was at 40,379 miles and I was at 2%. No water in fuel either. Took maybe 10 times cycling fuel pump to fill filter. Good for another 40k miles.

Reactions: Rivergoer
#15 ·
Mine is due soon. Unfortunately during each of the free dealer oil changes for mine the goons reset the fuel filter indicator for some reason. So I have to guesstimate when mine is due. I have put on about 26,000 miles sine the first filter was changed. Going to change it out around 35,000 miles.

Sounds like the issue people are concerned with is twisting the mount right off the body if the cap is too tight?

#17 ·
I was concerned about doing this change, it is quite easy or at least mine was. 1 7/16 six point socket, nice long bar and it came right off, good luck

#18 ·
I never had the proper size wrench, so I've been using vice grips. Filter housing popped out of the mount on my first change. On my 2nd change, it was a fight to keep it in place so I could remove the cap.

Speaking of torquing plastic assemblies together, I just threaded it back until the ends met. No torque measurement required. It's not a difficult item, just a poor design. :D

#19 ·
Unfortunately during each of the free dealer oil changes for mine the goons reset the fuel filter indicator for some reason. (Quote)

They did the same thing to me. After I complained, they told me that they would install a new fuel filter when I came in for my next oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.