Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife used to have a cummins turbo diesel 3/4 ton truck and had issues with fuel in the winer when it was really cold.

Is the new low sulfur diesel less likely to gell or should I add a bottle of winterizer to the tank if a cold snap is coming?

I'm in Mid-Mich so we the odd winter roller come through and you can wake up to negative F numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wife used to have a cummins turbo diesel 3/4 ton truck and had issues with fuel in the winer when it was really cold.

Is the new low sulfur diesel less likely to gell or should I add a bottle of winterizer to the tank if a cold snap is coming?

I'm in Mid-Mich so we the odd winter roller come through and you can wake up to negative F numbers.
i am near Indy and I never add anything and have had zero issues. With the emissions I am pretty careful not to add anything unless it is necessary. It doesn't get super cold here on a normal basis, maybe some that live in colder climates will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,892 Posts
Last January or February (2015), on a morning where it had dropped down to -16 ambient overnight (SE Michigan here), the car refused to start until later that day when we were able to get a ride to the store to get Diesel 911.

Above that it's usually fine, but it can get a little pissed off for the first few seconds of running, until it heats everything up. We just parked the car in the garage on cold nights after that. Don't quite have that ability this year, so let's hope it doesn't get that cold.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
At most stations, the Diesel is already treated for the average monthly temperature in that region. If it's a branded retail station that is doing decent volume, it should be ok. If it's going to be more than 10 degrees below average in the upcoming week after you fill, though, adding something wouldn't be a bad idea.

Some stations, though, will have blender pumps with #1 Diesel (rated to a much lower temp, but less fuel economy), #2 Diesel, or various blends of the 2. Others may note on the pump that it is untreated, may have both treated and untreated options (Kwik Trip in the IA/MN/WI region does this), or may have two separate pumps with #1 and untreated #2, and you blend them yourself. Basically, it comes down to knowing your fuel and choosing accordingly. It's not too hard to pick up on after a little bit.

When I was in Iowa, and I was buying untreated fuel or happened upon a station where I couldn't discern what I was getting, my preferred additive was Stanadyne Winter 1000. It's about the lowest cost per gallon treated I could find, and it only took a small amount per tank to treat, so 2 bottles got me through the winter with some to spare. White bottle Power Service is probably the most popular, but has additional additives beyond the anti-gel and isn't as efficient as the Stanadyne per gallon treated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I dunno for sure where I'll buy yet. The station down the road is Sunoco. Lots of country boys fill their trucks and UV's there. The other possible place is Cedar Springs which is Citgo. Citgo is right off the freeway and is setup to fuel semi trucks though I rarely see any in there. I'll see about getting some Stanadyne.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
to be fair my car is always garaged on a really cold night or morning and my garage doesn't get colder than 30 degrees hardly ever. Driving to work and starting the car back up might be colder than that, if it is below zero here I just prefer to stay at home if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
You should be able to start with straight #2 down to about -10F nights... Any more and you're definitely gambling (-10F is already a gamble). If it was an older vehicle, you would make it 2 miles down the road and the fuel filter would freeze up. Nowadays the engines can warm up much faster and that heat can be transferred via radiation and the fuel return line to make sure the fuel filter doesn't freeze up.

So if the vehicle starts, you are probably okay. But just because you can start at -10F doesn't mean you should. It's not exactly good to be forcing gelled fuel through the system.... Additives will make those -10F starts much easier on your injectors and fuel pumps.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
First winter I was doing PS every tank. Cheap insurance. Last winter I only did it when -10s or -20s F were expected, or days it wasn't going to get out of the -s or too far above 0. Not many of those at all last year though.

I do usually garage though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I live in New Jersey, we had some very cold days last year. I use DieselKleen in the summer and the Diesel Fuel Supplement in the winter time. I have never had an issue, but I don't think I would have either way. All we have here is #2 diesel.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Thanks guys. I dunno for sure where I'll buy yet. The station down the road is Sunoco. Lots of country boys fill their trucks and UV's there. The other possible place is Cedar Springs which is Citgo. Citgo is right off the freeway and is setup to fuel semi trucks though I rarely see any in there. I'll see about getting some Stanadyne.
Now that you mention Cedar Springs, I know you must be incredibly close to where I am at (I work about 8 miles from Cedar Springs). With a Sunoco, you must be near Pierson or Cannonsburg? The reliable candidates for buying Diesel here seem to be primarily AGO/Citgo, Meijer, and Mobil/J&H Family Stores. 90% of the time, Meijer is the best price, they advertise it as a "premium Diesel" (which could mean pretty much anything, but could be a good thing), they have the highest volume, and my fuel economy seems to be slightly higher with the Meijer Diesel than the others.

The AGO/Citgo stores tend to be too low-volume for my comfort, and some aren't pay-at-the-pump yet for their Diesel pumps. I do sometimes fuel at the M-37/7 Mile road store when I'm down that way, which is a newer location. The J&H stores seem to have decent fuel, but can be higher cost and a little out of the way for my usual routes.

If you want to let me know more closely what town you're in and what towns you travel to, I might be able to give you some tips on good stations. This will be my first winter here with the Diesel (my previous 3 were in Iowa with it), but I can keep you posted on any new data about the winter capability of the fuels and stations here as well if you want.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drive from Stanwood/Morely to the G.R. Airport everyday. Right down 131 and then over on 96.
I work just miles from the airport. I get off on 28th street and go past Meijer.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
I drive from Stanwood/Morely to the G.R. Airport everyday. Right down 131 and then over on 96.
I work just miles from the airport. I get off on 28th street and go past Meijer.
I just drove through that area of GR minutes ago.

Your best Diesel price will almost always be the Meijer at the 10 Mile-Rockford exit of 131. It usually is slightly more as you go north from there, such as the Meijer or Citgo at the M57-Cedar Springs exit, and it never pays to fill up down in Grand Rapids. Typically up to a quarter more per gallon down there.

Occasionally, the Citgo at Alpine/7mile will beat the price at the Rockford Meijer, but not often, and it's a couple miles out of the way for you. Both of those stations do a respectable volume to keep fresh, properly-treated fuel available.

Also, if you ever drive M91 or M57 through Greenville, there's a station over there with DEF at the pump, which saves you about half over bottled. Otherwise, there's no pump DEF around unless you're heading toward Lansing or Muskegon on 96.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup gasbuddy.com confirms that station is about 3 cents cheaper than anywhere else on my usual route.

Since I'm not filling up twice a week price of fuel is not as important as it once was.

So far it looks like I'll be filling up next Tuesday and if so I'll be filling up every 6 days instead. :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Thanks Reverend! I'm checking my gasbuddy.com right now but I never thought to look at the Meijer on 10 mile.
I shop meijer for groceries and pharmacy. I think they have a credit card or something that may be able to offer additional discounts, perhaps 10 cents a gallon. If you buy their fuel and like it it might be worth looking into if you don't have a card that provides additional discounts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts