Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I’ve owned my CTD I’ve noticed a slight rattle, metal, from the engine area. I’ve check the heat shields, exhaust, all tight.

Today I was changing my oil and noticed the lower mounting tab for the oil filter drip catch tray was broken. I bet this is the cause. Was going to remove it and run without it until my next oil change but didn’t feel like taking the lower alternator bolt out (holds the upper portion of the tray).

Just thought I’d share what I found if anyone else out there has the same noise.

Diesel on folks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Isn’t that what broke and fell down and destroyed the cv joint boot on someone else’s CTD?

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
@CTDNathan

Yep, here’s my thread that started out as a failed Gen 1 Diesel CV axle but goes on to document how it was caused by the very same oil “diverter” you have now noticed is broke on yours.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/236719-2014-diesel-cv-joint-failure.html

I figure there will be a LOT more of these down the road as the Gen 1 CTD fleet ages...it’s either a badly flawed design or poorly manufactured part.

Do NOT continue driving with it hanging by the alternator bolt. Engine harmonics will cause that alternator bracket to eventually shear and you’ll be looking at a $600+ CV Axle replacement.

As a result of my experience, I now check the oil diverter at every OCI (put a hand on it and check for tightness).

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
@CTDNathan

Yep, here’s my thread that started out as a failed Gen 1 Diesel CV axle but goes on to document how it was caused by the very same oil “diverter” you have now noticed is broke on yours.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/236719-2014-diesel-cv-joint-failure.html

I figure there will be a LOT more of these down the road as the Gen 1 CTD fleet ages...it’s either a badly flawed design or poorly manufactured part.

Do NOT continue driving with it hanging by the alternator bolt. Engine harmonics will cause that alternator bracket to eventually shear and you’ll be looking at a $600+ CV Axle replacement.

As a result of my experience, I now check the oil diverter at every OCI (put a hand on it and check for tightness).
It's a single weld, and given the vibration, it's going to break, like it has on ours. If it were to be isolated, then that would likely help.

If the bracket were a one piece, that would solve the issue, but it is not. And it's position, when it breaks, is very unfortunate.

I have no intention to replace ours - it's still sitting in a box in the garage somewhere. I'll just shove a funnel under there when I finally get around to changing the oil myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@CTDNathan

Jeez thanks for the heads up! Never even thought of that happening! The poor car has been to the dealer twice last month, first for a new tranny, secondly for the blind spot recall, all under warranty but last think I want to have to do is replace an axle for something stupid like this. It’ll be coming out next oil change, or even sooner.

I’m sure there’s a way to stiffen it up better.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
im doin my timing belt and have awesome access to it with the inner fender liner removed, so planned to remove the funnel as prevention (totally forgot aboot doing it sooner)

while it was still bolted to the engine, it felt SOLID

but as soon as i undid the lower bolt...the deflector was in two pieces

as you can see from the rust, the part has been cracked for a long time....was a ticking time bomb

if anybody is reading that still has one on.....not sure thats a good idea

17mm and 18mm needed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts