Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had my timing belt and water pump replaced by a local shop on my 2014 cruze diesel at 120000 miles and I got it back and the smell of diesel fuel was so bad inside the car it will make you nauseous. I immediately called the shop and they took it back and examined it and said that the high pressure fuel pump is leaking and although it's behind the timing cover where they've done all their work it wasn't their fault and I had to take it to a dealer cuz they didn't have the tools to do a high pressure pump. Needless to say I'm not accepting that explanation but does anybody have an idea what they could have done wrong to cause the fuel pump to leak? Any idea what he fuel pump replacement cost I'm sure it is Big dollars?

·
Registered
747 Posts
The fuel pump is driven by the timing belt, so they would have had to mess with it to get the new belt on. The timing does seem highly suspect. Before anyone touches it, I would have a third party examine it closely to see if there was any damage caused by replacing the belt.

I had mine (2014 also) replaced under warranty at the dealer at around 30,000 miles. The bill said it would have cost about $1,500 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The pump alone is a part that comes in around $1200. I looked that up when comparing to the crappy VW HPFP, that one costs about $600, but isn't even worth that. I find it very suspect that you suddenly have a failed pump following a timing belt replacement. The pump is driven off the timing belt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know this is long past the last post. I had the same problem where a fuel leak was caused at some time during the timing belt change. I'm wondering if it is caused when the seal on the High pressure fuel pump is inadvertently turned backwards a little while changing the timing belt... It could be worn in one direction and the backwards motion messes with it... remember this thing is under a lot of pressure and heat. anyways. Cheaper fix.. I just pulled the high pressure fuel pump and changed the shaft seal. From now on I will probably just change that seal preemptively as I hate doing the timing belt removal and install twice in a row. cheap insurance ... here is a link to the complete kit for replacing a bunch of parts in the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know this is long past the last post. I had the same problem where a fuel leak was caused at some time during the timing belt change. I'm wondering if it is caused when the seal on the High pressure fuel pump is inadvertently turned backwards a little while changing the timing belt... It could be worn in one direction and the backwards motion messes with it... remember this thing is under a lot of pressure and heat. anyways. Cheaper fix.. I just pulled the high pressure fuel pump and changed the shaft seal. From now on I will probably just change that seal preemptively as I hate doing the timing belt removal and install twice in a row. cheap insurance ... here is a link to the complete kit for replacing a bunch of parts in the fuel pump.
i was surprised at no one changing the cam/crank seals (incl me) other timing belt changes on other cars, these are changed at these intervals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts