Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a need for some information about the exhaust on my the 14 Cruze Diesel.

I am applying to a new apartment which has a garage (woohoo) but, they have a policy that says "no diesel engines" because the exhaust system in the building can't handle diesel exhaust. Like the honest person that I am I said that I have a diesel engine. :banghead: But I made my case that it has the exhaust fluid and everything else that makes it clean so it's not like the old diesel engines of years and years ago.

The property manager said that she would ask the mechanical engineers and get back to be... They said no...

So Cruzians, especially GM people, I need you help to make my case that it can actually go in the garage without problems. Just some quick googling the SCR and DEF make it so only nitrogen and water vapor expel from the exhaust (same as gas engines?). Is there anything else that anyone can think of?

Thanks everyone,
Zill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I would just find a new place to live. Any place with a rule like that your bound to find some other stupid rule down the road.
The diesel part was the only part of the whole contract that stood out (Yes, I actually read the whole thing). Yes it's stupid, hint why I want more ammo to see if I can prove that the rule isn't needed for newer diesels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
id be surprised if you were anywhere but California...

you shouldnt of even said anything, its not like they would of noticed that your car was diesel

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Why don't you simply get a letter from GM PR stating that the diesel is as clean as a petrol engine and cleaner than a V8 which is allowed?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Ask them 'which' they're really wanting to "ban," (a) diesel exhaust? or (b) diesel engines?

If it's (a) diesel exhaust, contact GM PR (as suggested above) for help. But, if it's (b) diesel engines (noise), you're SOL.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
The property manager said that she would ask the mechanical engineers and get back to be... They said no...
I would ask politely to speak to the Engineers and plead your case. If you ask them to look up emissions information for modern urea diesel vehicles and scale it to the 2.0L of the Cruze they may understand. Better yet, before going in you can arm yourself with some information; go to a dealership and get pictures of a Cruze diesel window sticker as well as the sticker for a V8 gas pickup truck and if they still refuse after looking into your case you could show them how much LESS pollutants a small diesel car emits compared to a large gas engine (which they will allow inside).

Unless there's some sort of advanced air scrubbing machines at work in their facility that are completely incompatible with the unique (?) elements of diesel exhaust I don't think they would have a case against you. Sounds to me they just want to avoid having some guy with a Powerstroke F350 "rolling coal" in their basement...

·
Registered
412 Posts
My only question is... Why would you put up with someone telling you that?

The first thing I would do, is just tell the manager or the complex.. "Fine, I'll take my good, hard earned money else where."

And if you're in a year lease, tell them, by not allowing you to have your choice of cars to drive, they have voided their own lease..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Show them your own window sticker? Doesn't it have the greenhouse gas scale on it? My RAM has a score of 1 on it. And you can really tell if you walk behind it and breathe in some exhaust on a cold winter day when it's warming up. I don't think our diesel Cruze puts out any soot. I wish it did. One day I will make this car roll coal. But alas, that dpf ruins the fun out the tailpipe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
If you need me to I can walk out on the lot and take pics of the window stickers for you.. Gas truck, diesel truck, gas car.. Just let me know and I can email them to you..

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
No matter how much "ammo" you throw at them you signed a contract, a contract that in your own words clearly stated no Diesel Engines in the garage. If they don't want to allow it you are 100% SOL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.