Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is everyone pushing their oil change intervals to, and what oil are you running?

We're still sticking to having the oil changed when the oil life hits 0%, so roughly 7500 miles. However, I've been thinking: now (for a while) that even the GM Dexos 2 oil from the dealer is synthetic (and not a blend, like it was before), I'm wondering if that oil could be pushed out to 10k miles. We're at 1% now, and if I can push the change to spring, that'd be great, so I don't have to lay on the ground, haha.

That said, when I do the next oil change (myself, finally, as the dealer's price has doubled - it was $50, now it's $100), it will be with Pennzoil Euro L, which I've had in the basement for over a year. I was already planning to run that oil past the oil life to around 10k miles, but I wanted to see what everyone else was doing before I do either of these things (push the current "dealer" oil out to 10k, and push the upcoming Pennzoil out to/past 10k).

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
This doesn’t answer your question about how far to push the interval but I’ve always done Oil+Filter on my diesels every 5K miles.

Cruze (130K miles) gets Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Dexos 2 ($24/gal) and the Cummins (260K miles) gets Valvoline Premium Blue ($14/gal on sale)

I do my own oil changes. Cummins also gets a fuel filter every 5K.

To get under the Cruze I stack/screwed three 2x10’s with 45’s cut on the ends to make four cheap ramps. I drive it up on the ramps, car is still level so oil filter change drains through the bottom shield hole and there’s plenty of room underneath to get at the drain plug.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I was looking at walmart for oil as I'm due.

I noticed the euro L was also labeled as dexos1
Yeah, ya gotta be careful...Pennzoil has a couple of “Euro” oils, one is Dexos 1 and the other is Dexos 2.

The one you want for the Diesel is the Platinum Euro L Full Synthetic 5W-30.

Walmart has it online for under $23 bucks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm relatively new to diesels but no more than 5k for me on any car or no more than a year if not driven more than 5k. Cheap insurance IMHO.

I won't even mention the effects of EGR.....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Diesels are a different beast. They don't run as dirty as gas. They can go longer on oil changes.

Don't you guys have a higher cost? fuel filters for instance. How often do those get changed?

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Oil changes run me less than $50 every 5K miles. Fuel filter so far I’ve been doing about every 20-25K.

The Cummins is a different beast, it uses way more fuel so the fuel filter gets done every 5K.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
i got 3 dealer oil changes at the start,

since then im avg 15,000 km (9400 miles) intervals....have used only total ineo 5w30, its the easiest oil i can find where i live or to order and have shipped to me..... not dexos2, but acea c3 approved....not sure if its full syn or syn blend, dont know, dont care...pretty sure its pure syn, cuz its way easy to start at below -40 .....the engine will outlive the body of the car.

i wait til it hits zero % then go some more

its just oil....people put way too much value in it.

in my jeeps ive run the cheapest dino oil i could buy and the cheapest filters, mostly fram for the added shock value cuz the internet says using fram filters will make my teeth fall out, my daughter get kidnapped etc....

and change the oil once a year, regardless of miles....its just oil.

yet, i have 700,000 miles between the 3 jeeps and they still all run great

ive done 2 fuel filters in the cruze in 110,000 miles

·
Registered
45 Posts
these cars arent working hard

and yeah its apples and oranges, but....you realize the semi goin down the highway has 40,000 mile oil change intervals.???
True but they also hold 10 to 15 gallons and have multiple or centrifuge filters. When I drove for FedEx 25k was max between changes.

I agree oil is pretty much oil and other than specific manufacturer recommendations. Regular oil changes are the key and regular means different intervals to each person.

Filtration is the biggest problem.

Years ago oil and engines were simple. In today's world engines are more complicated so now we got all types of oil requirements.

BTW the fram comment had me rolling. I never understood the negative bias against fram, lol.

But wait, if the internet says it is true it has to be, right???

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
True but they also hold 10 to 15 gallons and have multiple or centrifuge filters. When I drove for FedEx 25k was max between changes.

I agree oil is pretty much oil and other than specific manufacturer recommendations. Regular oil changes are the key and regular means different intervals to each person.

Filtration is the biggest problem.

Years ago oil and engines were simple. In today's world engines are more complicated so now we got all types of oil requirements.

BTW the fram comment had me rolling. I never understood the negative bias against fram, lol.
yeah, but caveman math here....

14 l motor with 10 gallon oil....(2 pails)

ours is 2l with 1 gallon oil....

pretty close ratio....same with the filter, scaled in proportion

ive considered just changing filter and goin longer on the oil, but dunno how much would pour out, and havent gotten much past thinking aboot it for 30 secs

same with considered a bypass filter, but again, why???

yeah, i love all the pics of ferrari motors with the orange filters

full disclosure i did use the oversize filters on my miata when i had it...cost like 50 cents more and bit more oil

i just think ppl overthink it....

i think i have two more jugs of low saps oil left....dunno what ill do after that, cuz im deleted, i dont need to care aboot the dpf...but not sure if theres any savings by goin to non emissions oil, i havent looked into it yet

·
Registered
45 Posts
"ive considered just changing filter and goin longer on the oil, but dunno how much would pour out, and havent gotten much past thinking aboot it for 30 secs"

I was going to mention this. If I would ever go to 10k I would probably change the filter at 5k.

BTW caveman math is the best. Almost never has failed me, almost. Caveman math twice cut once had to buy more wood.;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I go about 10K on mine and I have had a bunch of Oil Analysis done over the last 150K miles and from what blackstone labs report. With my now post deleted Cruze I'm going to go 15K with filter at 7.5K as that is the week link in the extended range oil. I have been running total quartz MC3 and from the reports the oil would be good closer to 20K but I'm good with 15K and a little make up oil from the filter change.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but factually your just wasting money if your changing your oil before 7500 miles unless your in extreme conditions. For most samples the oil is just barely starting to show wear at 5k.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I go about 10K on mine and I have had a bunch of Oil Analysis done over the last 150K miles and from what blackstone labs report. With my now post deleted Cruze I'm going to go 15K with filter at 7.5K as that is the week link in the extended range oil. I have been running total quartz MC3 and from the reports the oil would be good closer to 20K but I'm good with 15K and a little make up oil from the filter change.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but factually your just wasting money if your changing your oil before 7500 miles unless your in extreme conditions. For most samples the oil is just barely starting to show wear at 5k.
The only real way to determine if any chosen oil change interval is good for the engine is a complete tear down and inspection of bearings and the presence of sludge. I have torn a part a few engines from junk yards to be rebuilt for racing and have seen it all from a to z. Granted this was years ago and engines and oil have changed dramatically.

Sadly, at the moment, a delete is not an option for me if/when that time comes.

Hopefully this schit will calm down some and deletes will become an option agIn.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The issue on the Cruze Diesel with factory emissions is oil dilution. When you are doing a DPF Regen some fuel is infected in the exhaust stroke. Some of that coats the cylinder wall, then is absorbed in the oil. It drastically lowers your oil viscosity. I never go much below 30% on oil life, which is generally about 7k miles, because of slightly increasing oil level that is a sign of fuel dilution. On my truck I fixed that issue, where it used to have steady or rising levels, now with no regens, it uses a small amount of oil.. telling me fuel dilution was real. I also had a sample done confirming some fuel dilution was happening, and that was the last draw on that vehicle. It's something to be concerned about. Now for the deleted guys, sure 10k or even more, no concerns, since there is no Regen and no fuel dilution of the oil.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm changing mine at 0%/7500 miles. Not because I think the oil itself is bad but because Diesel really beats up on the oil. I want to flush out the contaminants and get clean detergent in as frequently as economically possible. Thus $22 oil and a $7 filter is worth it to keep the oil fresh IMO. I just wish the oil filter was easier to get to.

I was looking at walmart for oil as I'm due.

I noticed the euro L was also labeled as dexos1
They have a Euro, Euro L, Euro LX, and Euro AV. The Euo L is the Dexos 2. You were probably looking at the Euro.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just ordered a new drain plug, just to have on hand in the event I round this one off trying to get it out. But I'm expecting to be changing this within a week or two. Think we're getting close-ish to 10k miles.

I also wonder if it's worth doing an oil analysis on this oil, or waiting for the next oil change, as I'll be analyzing the Euro L, not the Delco oil.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How long is everyone pushing their oil change intervals to, and what oil are you running?

We're still sticking to having the oil changed when the oil life hits 0%, so roughly 7500 miles. However, I've been thinking: now (for a while) that even the GM Dexos 2 oil from the dealer is synthetic (and not a blend, like it was before), I'm wondering if that oil could be pushed out to 10k miles. We're at 1% now, and if I can push the change to spring, that'd be great, so I don't have to lay on the ground, haha.

That said, when I do the next oil change (myself, finally, as the dealer's price has doubled - it was $50, now it's $100), it will be with Pennzoil Euro L, which I've had in the basement for over a year. I was already planning to run that oil past the oil life to around 10k miles, but I wanted to see what everyone else was doing before I do either of these things (push the current "dealer" oil out to 10k, and push the upcoming Pennzoil out to/past 10k).
I have been changing it around 6 months or 5000 miles, but according to used oil analysis I could go longer. Check out blackstone-Labs.com

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to confirm...4.5 quarts of oil is the recommendation, yes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts