Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveled from VA to MD then D.C. and it was around 92 deg F friday. When I was in DC the dash gave me the "turn your car off NOW" type warning. Once I found a parking garage 30 mins later with no power to car at all, ultra-gauge said my engine temp was 266 deg F. Oil temp gauge on the car was in the red.

Do you think I need to replace the oil? I use the European oil from amsoil. My radiator fluid levels are fine.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
The real question is why did your car overheat in the first place. That needs to be resolved ASAP.

·
Registered
692 Posts
how many miles on the Cruze? I am assuming you are under your powertrain warranty? I would have a dealer tow it, and then fix it. It could be a thermostat, or it could be something electronic, or something else...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,554 Posts
That isn't oil temp on the car; it's coolant temp.

Never drive a car that's overheating - it gives you that warning for a reason; you may seriously damage the engine or at a minimum the head gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I would be concerned that some damage was done to the engine running it that hot. Are you tuned or stock?

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Happened to me as well back in 2013, warning came up, temperatures sky rocketed and I immediately shut off the car..... turned out to be a faulty water pump and as I recall I wasn't beating the car at all that day so it was very shocking. Ever since I haven't had an issue with my cruze, small things but I saved the trip and fixed them myself. good luck to all!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
..... and wait a second, you drove 30 minutes after the warning came up??? !

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahahaha I was in the middle of DC with no place to just stop. I have 25K miles all stock cruze, never had an issue once with it so far. I will make a dealer trip when I have time I guess.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
If you ever begin to overheat: 1) turn off the A/C; and, 2) turn the HVAC fan to max and turn the temperature control to one click before max hot.

If it's summer, also drop all of your windows.

This action will often save an overheating engine from irreparable damage.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wasn't using the AC I had the windows down during it....I did make a trip the weekend before, was about 8 hour round trip, wonder if that stirred anything up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
wasn't using the AC I had the windows down during it....I did make a trip the weekend before, was about 8 hour round trip, wonder if that stirred anything up.
I regularly make 8 hour trips with no issues. Let us know what the dealer says and/or if it does it again. I think you are the first diesel owner to have this type of issue.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Did you check to see if the airflow was blocked by a newspaper or cardboard box at the time?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was just informed its a bad coolant sensor, so you can calm down keyboard warriors lol

added update: They gave me a rental, didn't have the right sensor in stock. So my rental is a 2015 1.4T garbage Cruze, I swear my diesel blows it out of the water.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Glad it was just a flaky sensor!

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Good to hear it's just the sensor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just informed its a bad coolant sensor, so you can calm down keyboard warriors lol

added update: They gave me a rental, didn't have the right sensor in stock. So my rental is a 2015 1.4T garbage Cruze, I swear my diesel blows it out of the water.
*cough* speak-for-your-self *cough*

Glad to hear it was just a sensor though. :)

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
The CTD has a lot more power than the LT, ECO, or LTZ.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts