Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[h=2]What MPG Highway is your Diesel Cruze getting ?[/h]

List your varibles.... Speed, transmission type, terrain, etc.....​

·
Registered
191 Posts
There's a place for this in the Diesel section, might get more response there, a lot of us don't come out in the general population too often. :grin:

Just got got done with a road trip yesterday. Austin to Amarillo, going with a 10 to 15mph tailwind the 50 mile avg was between 45 and 50mpg. The return trip into a 15 to 20mph head wind was between 38 and 42mpg. That's seems pretty consistent with 42 to 43 it avg's when we get on the road long enough to use the majority of a tank. When I used to keep track of things by hand that gauge tends to be a little on the low side so I was probably fairly close to 45mpg.

There are 2 things that it doesn't like that I can't avoid, we have no flat terrain it is constantly rolling. The mileage goes up a good bit if it's flat or when the hills get much bigger. I also spend almost all highway time at 77 to 80mph, it does best between 60 and 65. It's still considerably better than what I would get with a gas car doing the same thing and has way more power to spare than anything that can get close mpg numbers.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is the land of hilly terrain. Even so, on highway commutes doing 70mph I normally see between 50-58

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Moved to the Chevy Cruze Diesel Fuel Economy forum.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is the land of hilly terrain. Even so, on highway commutes doing 70mph I normally see between 50-58

Sent from the sexy electrician
How hilly? Our hills are no more than 1/4 mile for the most part. When I took the car to Vegas in January it set every record on every screen and I haven't been within 10mpg of any of them since that trip. The extended coasting more than makes up for the long climbs, but for the trip I still ended up with roughly the same overall mpg.

I know the speed is not helping me any, but the slowest highway speed limit is 70 around here and I don't have to go too far west to hit the areas were it's 75 and occasionally 80. The extra MPH makes a considerable time difference on trips. My wife hasn't found that it makes much of a difference driving a little slower to work, she spends too much time taking short trips once she's there. It doesn't take much driving around town to knock 50 mpg down to 39 mpg. The good thing is we're now occasionally finding diesel that is cheaper than gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Average driving in town with an average speed of 29 MPH, I get approx. 29 MPG. My best score driving 55 MPH using cruise control on a 25 mile average on interstate driving, is 62.8 MPG. At 65 MPH interstate driving my best 25 mile average scores are between 55 to 58 MPG. I have 5000 miles on car. Terrain has moderate hills, no serious elevation. At 70 MPH interstate driving with cruise control, I get approx. 45 to 48 MPG. Fuel Mileage begins to drop quickly at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Florida to California, 58.4MPG, California to Virginia, 77.2MPG for the trip, Virginia to California, 77.1MPG. Lifetime MPG, 36.8, including over 270 hours of idling (I lived in the car for 2 months, roadie style)
Car's sweet spot is between 61 and 64MPH, and at 56MPH, on the highway, the car will drive forever on a tank.
AC takes 2MPG away.
Heat takes 1MPG away.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
On the highway at 72 MPH on reasonably level ground, I can easily see 50-53 MPG. Once speeds increase to 78ish, i am down in the lower mid 40's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
42-44 MPG consistent 500 mile avg. , avg speed 75-85 MPH. Only use the car for 200 mile round trip drive twice a week with only 4 stop lights total. Never any traffic or stop and go. Automatic on flat ground in the valley. Im sure I could bump it up 3-5 MPG if i just drove the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
at cruse control set to 60 mph 55mpg give or take 2-3 for up hills or over bumps. florida highway temps outside 98

·
Registered
72 Posts
42-44 MPG consistent 500 mile avg. , avg speed 75-85 MPH. Only use the car for 200 mile round trip drive twice a week with only 4 stop lights total. Never any traffic or stop and go. Automatic on flat ground in the valley. Im sure I could bump it up 3-5 MPG if i just drove the speed limit.
More like 8 - 10. At 70, you should average 50 - 52 mpg.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Logged over 12,000 miles since I got my CTD. I drive about 135 miles a day. Start at 6000 feet, go up to 11,500 and back down to 9000 feet, and then come back home. I usually run right at 65 MPH. A little running around in town, but not much. My lifetime average is 44.5 MPG.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Florida to California, 58.4MPG, California to Virginia, 77.2MPG for the trip, Virginia to California, 77.1MPG. Lifetime MPG, 36.8, including over 270 hours of idling (I lived in the car for 2 months, roadie style)
Car's sweet spot is between 61 and 64MPH, and at 56MPH, on the highway, the car will drive forever on a tank.
AC takes 2MPG away.
Heat takes 1MPG away.
You loose 2 MPG with AC? i haven't used mine consistently enough to tell. i had thought I had heard it didn't make much of a difference. Also, why are you loosing mileage with the heater (or are you talking with the aux. electric heat on)? Good information. Thanks for sharing!

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Logged over 12,000 miles since I got my CTD. I drive about 135 miles a day. Start at 6000 feet, go up to 11,500 and back down to 9000 feet, and then come back home. I usually run right at 65 MPH. A little running around in town, but not much. My lifetime average is 44.5 MPG.
Do you work in Summit County? How's that drive in the winter?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You loose 2 MPG with AC? i haven't used mine consistently enough to tell. i had thought I had heard it didn't make much of a difference. Also, why are you loosing mileage with the heater (or are you talking with the aux. electric heat on)? Good information. Thanks for sharing!
I just took a 300 mile each way trip this last weekend. Elevation difference between the two cities is 140 ft. Wind was less than 5mph both days, but the way down it was 75 outside, and the way back it was 95. On the way down I ran without AC, and got 51 mpg average for the entire trip. On the way back I got 43 mpg, but was running with the AC on. I made the same stops, and reset the trip odometer before leaving both places. It was also the same tank, didn't refuel until I got back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do you work in Summit County? How's that drive in the winter?
Yes I do.

Usually not too bad. A few days can be a little frustrating. Love the way the Cruze flattens out the hills, though! I got the CDT last December (2014). Even with the stock tires, it has done pretty good. Love the heater in it. I was worried about that, so I test drove the Cruze when it was 2 degrees out in Denver, and was pleasantly surprised with the heater - even without the aux heat on.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Can't say that I noticed any difference with the AC on or off. It seems that the biggest difference for me has been due to head winds. HWY MPG can be really great with a good tail wind (65-70 MPG) and no traffic. Some how in my area I have a 10-20 MPH headwind on my 60 mile trip to work (east) and the same on the return trip home(west)?? So... generally I see an avg of 42-45 MPG with rolling hills at 70 MPH and best all time high avg is 58.5 MPG. Generally my speed over the daily HWY route for best MPG is between 55 to 62 MPH (takes into consideration cold outside temperature start/warm up, hills, wind, traffic which is mostly highway (only 5 miles of local speeds) but some brief limited stop and go during rush hour).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts