Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Part of the problem is that the removal of sulfur for transition to ultra lower sulfur diesel fuel has forever increased the cost of producing diesel fuel relative to gas.
See below.

the extra cost of complying with the mandate for 15ppm diesel fuel is less than 5 cents per gallon; there is an additional 6 cents per gallon federal tax on diesel relative to gasoline. In Florida, diesel has a 5 cent per gallon greater tax than gasoline. As pointed out diesel is cheaper to produce than gasoline. The reason for the outrageous diesel prices has to do with the fact that the oil industry exports 1 million barrels of diesel fuel daily to Europe because of the higher prices and greater demand there (over 50% of vehicles in Europe are diesel powered) Consequently, without the price pressure of extra diesel available to lower prices the refiners are gouging the public. Perhaps if enough persons contacted there Congressman about this situation changes may occur
What is your source that the cost increase is less than 5 cents per gallon?
Unfortunately I don't have access to the article I read YEARS ago that the industry said it would only add 5-7 cents/gallon to meet the ULSD requirements.

The exported diesel fuel was discussed over at GMI with links showing the export rate of refined ULSD daily, US government statistics.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The price of Diesel is staying high because of the 700K+ barrels of refined ULSD exported from the US daily.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
626 Posts
Paid $3.03 today for diesel fuel in So Cal! That was with a 20 cent discount though, so actual cash price was $3.18. Premium gas was $2.94 at the same station. I'm not complaining about paying a little extra, the MPG, the power band, and clean technology, yahoo.
How the **** is Diesel cheaper in CA than over here?
Today:
-87 octane $2.29
-Diesel $3.49
Don't want to hear the heating oil bs anymore since prices don't drop in the summer like they used to.

Reactions: Gator

·
Registered
626 Posts
Last night:
87 gas---2.29
Diesel---2.74

Price difference less than 20% now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.