Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas has dropped below $3 here over the last few months but diesel is virtually unchanged still close to $4. This could spell disaster for the diesel car market. I don't ever remember a price disparity of this scale ever happening before, at least in my memory. Pretty weird or what?!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part of the problem is that the removal of sulfur for transition to ultra lower sulfur diesel fuel has forever increased the cost of producing diesel fuel relative to gas. During this process, the energy content of the fuel is also decreased slightly, reducing mileage and power by 1% according to an article I read.

I still prefer low sulfur fuels in my engines. Far lower acidity in the crankcase and exhaust system.

I don't know how the energy content was so dramatically affected by sulfur removal, SO2 is a combustion inhibitor, and sulfur has a much lower BTU value than hydrocarbon, so getting sulfur out of the fuel should improve combustion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.