Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,842 Posts
It's heating season! Lots of oil is used for heating in rural areas where there aren't natural gas lines. Refining process isn't too drastically different between kerosene/diesel/heating oil.

Truck activity is busier than ever as well.

Diesel prices tend to fluctuate a lot less than gas though. Gas prices took a 30 cent leap around Thanksgiving here.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,842 Posts
In SC just filled my CTD with $3.40 diesel at Sunoco. 87 E10 was $2.40. 93 E10 was $2.80 That is the largest % difference I can remember. I had a 1985 300DT Mercedes for 20 years. Great car but the lack of emissions controls and 500 ppm sulfur made the exhaust very unpleasant. The sulfur dioxide content was so high it would actually cause respiratory and eye irritation inside the car when stuck in traffic. CTD owners should remember that gas Cruze models really need 93 octane for optimal performance and E0 93 cost is similar to diesel. I dislike being forced to buy Monsanto GMO corn based E10 after it damaged $1000 worth of sensors in my 2001 BMW 740i and ruined 2 lawn mowers. I pay extra to use E0 in those. My CTD is still very inexpensive to own and I plan to check out the diesel Colorado pickup when it hits the market.
Never had a problem with E10 in any car from the 80s onwards. In fact, the Cruze loves ethanol, runs better. I can get away with running 89 E10 with fine performance with temps <70F outside.

Small engines are a different story, carb jets are tiny and clog easily when the gas sits around in a 5 gallon container forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.