Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel Race tune : Went to the Dyno!

51K views 89 replies 16 participants last post by  machusenpai 
#1 ·
Following this thread : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...cussion/196210-small-changes-reduce-heat.html

And after chatting with Corbin Murphy @ Fleece, i wanted to know how much power my car was making and if the 50hp tune was indeed stronger then the Race tune. (The tune you get when you delete)

So Corbin made a Tune that "should be the 50hp tune scripted over what you had." (The 50hp tune is one of the 3 tunes you get when you just tune a stock Diesel)

So here are the results : Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Motor vehicle
Line Text Pattern Design Architecture
Electronics Technology Font Electronic device Auto part
Technology Electronics Scoreboard Display device Electronic device

https://youtu.be/1_zbidBTdsQ

1st of all, if you look in the picture where you see my car, on the blue shield its writen Mustang Dyno, so these are good numbers. The guy there never did a Cruze, didnt know Diesel existed and was quite impressed.

I was right! The 50hp tune is indeed more powerfull then the Race tune, but the amount of BLACK SMOKE you get is ridiculus, lol. The guys at Fleece did an incredible job on the Race tune to make it this powerfull with almost no smoke. On the Graph you can see the difference between the two tunes.

181hp and 296lbs of torque at the wheels for the 50hp dirty tune. The torque punch earlier too, its quite violent and funny when you drive.

173hp and 286lbs of torque at the wheels for the Race tune. Smoother driveability and no smoke.

Conclusion : I will use the 50hp tune only when i go Drag racing or to do stupid things. Its not worth it on the street for the difference with the Race tune.

See less See more
Reactions: DslGate and KpaxFAQ
#2 ·
50 horse is fun but far to many regens, so been running 30 horse for almost 2 years constant.
still thinking of a full delete but the dam thing runs so good just the way it is with zero problems.

just bought a canyon diesel as well an going to give it a tune, also the transmission. Fleece guys are a pleasure to deal with!

#3 ·
If you didnt know, im already deleted. The 50hp tune that i have is an Hybrid between delete-race tune and the 50hp you get when stock.

And yes, 50hp tune is good for about 10min on a stock car b4 you get a Check engine light, lol.

#9 ·
Well, stock crank HP is 151 SAE certified, so i would say around 125-130hp at the wheels.

#14 ·
Yeah, that makes sense; the Mustangs always read a little bit lower. I was real happy with how it performed - certainly surpassing what the car is rated at.

#15 ·
Ya, GM are one of the only manufacturer to have SAE certified power, so its logical to expected decent numbers.

#19 ·
That stupid transmission can barely keep itself happy in stock form.

#24 · (Edited)
No other GM vehicle that was out when the CTD tune came out that had an Aisin to my knowledge.

@WOT-Tuning

#25 ·
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC take your pick.

Look, they got a tune to work for the diesel, I really respect that. Something not very many people can pull off.

What I don't respect is how they sell their stuff. They live under the guise of borderline fraudulent statements like "increased combustion cycle efficiency" and make 100% false promises like that "it also gets rid of torque management". They will say the engine will throw gold out of the exhaust just to sell a few tunes.

That's all I'm going to say. I just don't want anyone to get hurt by them because they are promising to fix these transmission problems when they don't even understand how their own tune works.

#26 ·
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC take your pick.

Look, they got a tune to work for the diesel, I really respect that. Something not very many people can pull off.

What I don't respect is how they sell their stuff. They live under the guise of borderline fraudulent statements like "increased combustion cycle efficiency" and make 100% false promises like that "it also gets rid of torque management". They will say the engine will throw gold out of the exhaust just to sell a few tunes.

That's all I'm going to say. I just don't want anyone to get hurt by them because they are promising to fix these transmission problems when they don't even understand how their own tune works.
Well, from both you guys say, i think im gonna stay with my Tranny stock tuned for now. Just gonna use Manual mode for Full throttle.

#40 ·
I've kinda put my tunes into generations. I know some of the Gen 2 and 3 files are easily sub 15 second. But they have problems which the what I call the 'Gen 4' set out to solve.

I haven't really had the time yet to make a super powerful Gen 4 version yet. The one I do am working with is relatively smokeless and is fairly mild. Definitely not as wild as the earlier ones but some people like it a lot better.

Hey if you want to try it let me know. Although there's the whole.. Autocal issue.

#41 ·
From what the guys at Fleece told me, unless you change the Turbo, you cant have more power w/o big risk of boom.

They said that the Turbo was the most feeble part of our setup and when you do around 200-210hp at the crank, you are at maximum safe lvls and im right there.

So sub 15s with stock everything like i have? No way.

#49 ·
Ok, add your car to your garage and make a signature detailing all the mods you did to you Cruze, then have pictures proving it. Then go on quarter with equal or less mods then i have and do a better time.

#47 ·
Alright alright.

So open offer. If you convince Fleece. I will send them my latest and greatest 'mild' tune to them for no cost. They can package it for your autocal and there ya go. I trust them enough not to blatantly steal everything in it.

And then. There can be honest comparison.

#48 ·
Didnt you say in another post that you stoped with the Tuning?

#52 ·
They do not test in Quebec and no, if you dont have the After treatment, you wont pass the test.

#57 ·
Ok, i sent an Email to Corbin at Fleece, i will tell you what he says.

#59 ·
This thread is exciting. I want to get to the track, we have 1/8 locally. My car launches great with a little bit of stall, bottom end is awesome, but just falls flat on top of the rpm range. I feel like it would be low 10s in 1/8.

I would personally like to see high 9s and I would be happy. Guess I need to go and get a baseline first.

I bought this car for strictly commuting fuel mileage, but 1 emission hiccup and delete/tune later and I wanna go fast.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Thats why a 1/4 mile is better, because even if you dont have the greatest start, the power of your car can still compensate for it.

#65 ·
Incapable? Autocals are linked to basically the 'master' tool. You save your file "For Autocal" and then any Autocal linked to yours can flash it (no one else's Autocal will be able to flash it). I have done it far too many times now.

So long story short you'll have to buy one from me then. Or convince them to send you the unlock code. If you wanted to.

#66 ·
Thx for the offer, but i will keep the tunes i have right now.

This is my daily driver and its enough power. 15.4 quarter mile time is good enough for me.

#71 ·
Did you tune the car from someone in Quebec, if yes, i could meet him/her and we could do some tests.

#69 ·
I'm assuming Fleece locks the tune so that only they can upload a new one? Is that the issue I'm seeing here?

#70 ·
Normaly all tuners lock access to there tunes, Fleece are no different.

#79 ·
I havent read the entire thread yet bit couldnt resist responding.

I have been using trifecta tune for couple of years. Brand new the trans sucked. Rough shifts, hunting for gear... couldnt decide. I hated the going to neutral as you come to a stop also hated the automatic downshift when I was trying to coast for fuel savings. I absolutely loved the tri tune and it made the transmission shift beautifully and as I was accustomed to in all the cars I've owned in 50 years. As fuel economy continued to get worse I set the engine tune back to factory but left the transmission tume. Now I've discovered that my decrease fuel economy was at least partly the map sensor and EGR things with all the soot build up. Just cleaning the map sensor today restored 8 of my lost 10 MPG and I'm considering going back to the engine tune to see how it does. It is certainly a lot more fun to drive that way it really wakes it up.

#80 ·
I havent read the entire thread yet bit couldnt resist responding.

I have been using trifecta tune for couple of years. Brand new the trans sucked. Rough shifts, hunting for gear... couldnt decide. I hated the going to neutral as you come to a stop also hated the automatic downshift when I was trying to coast for fuel savings. I absolutely loved the tri tune and it made the transmission shift beautifully and as I was accustomed to in
all the cars I've owned in 50 years. As fuel economy continued to get worse I set the engine tune back to factory but left the transmission tume. Now I've discovered that my decrease fuel economy was at least partly the map sensor and EGR things with all the soot build up. Just cleaning the map sensor today restored 8 of my lost 10 MPG and I'm considering going back to the engine tune to see how it does. It is certainly a lot more fun to drive that way it really wakes it up.

Funny that you say you lost fuel mileage with the trifecta tune. I was under the impression that trifecta's tune (along with almost any other tune I've had or heard of) they are only made for WOT. Most of the time people who experience a loss in fuel mileage, it's because they can't keep their foot out of it because of that new found power. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.