Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have grown accustomed to the shift to neutral at a stop in the CTD. I drove a 1.4 2lt and it does not have this. the owners manual says its to save wear and tear plus ive heard to save some fuel to the engine doesn't have to fight the TC during the stop time.

i would personally take it out if i could ( keep it in manual 1 and good to go). how many others here like or don't like it?
getting off the line when needed would be way faster if it stayed in gear, plus way better when up hills. i would imagine if my car crawled backwards on a hill and hits a car behind me id be at fault right?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The 1,4T auto does shift to neutral, think only when the engine/trans is cold it doesn't. Shifting to manual mode at a light will stop this behavior.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
I never put it into neutral - unless I know that the brakes probably some heat coming up to the stop - but that goes for anything I drive, or if I feel I need to give my foot a rest.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would never shift it to neutral. Have no idea what benefit would be. Seems to be overthinking it here to me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
2001-2002 model year AW50-55SN's (Volvo, Nissan, etc) had this stop-neutral feature programmed into the transmissions. It wore them out in a much shorter timeframe than the old AW50-42LE's that came before them.

So far, the GM and Aisin transmissions used in Cruzen have not seemed to have ill effects from it - some are upwards of 150-200K on automatics without issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
2001-2002 model year AW50-55SN's (Volvo, Nissan, etc) had this stop-neutral feature programmed into the transmissions. It wore them out in a much shorter timeframe than the old AW50-42LE's that came before them.

So far, the GM and Aisin transmissions used in Cruzen have not seemed to have ill effects from it - some are upwards of 150-200K on automatics without issue.
I suspect that may have something to do with the "pseudo neutral" state it goes into. I'm not well versed in automatic transmissions, but I do know that my Cruze was definitely not in a full neutral state when stopped. It was like half neutral and half drive. I could get it to creep ever so slowly before feeling the bump to engage drive again and I could be held on a small hill by this weak force. Also verified by fuel usage - in M1, was about .3 gallons per hour - D, .25gph - neutral, .22gph. So it was not in full neutral when stopped in drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SPACED, when i got a loaner 1.4 i took my normal daily routines and i let off the brake and it crept imidiatly vs the delay and sligh push feel the CTd has.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't indy the cruze does it for me lol. what i would like to know is why use this feture. does it really save wear and tear? does it really help city mpg?

·
17,488 Posts
SPACED, when i got a loaner 1.4 i took my normal daily routines and i let off the brake and it crept imidiatly vs the delay and sligh push feel the CTd has.
Every auto Cruze I've had definitely drops into neutral, but the gas ones are very quick to get back into gear (usually with a very slightly noticeable little thump, unless you catch it off-guard and move from brake to gas very quickly).

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok then, i must have not noticed then. the CTd is very pronounced. i have to slow my foot from brake to gas because if not then i catch it getting into gear.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
he's not putting it in N

his car does it automatically, so does yours
Oh ok, I misread the post.....no big deal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine seems to be very quick getting back into drive after releasing the brake. Actually the faster I get to the gas pedal the smoother it seems to be.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I noticed it a lot when I first got my car, but now don't even think about it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
I do enjoy the noticeable downshifting while driving the car - engine braking it utilized quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have also grown accustomed to the shift to neutral, but there are moments i let off the brake and get on the gas to quick and it just don't feel right.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For the last few months now I've noticed that once the car is up to op. temp. whenever I'm at a light, etc. and the car shifts into neutral (automatic mode), I get a HUGE delay shifting back into first gear. The car will almost feel like it's stalled and then boom, it will slam into gear. I cringe at what it's doing to my trans. I'm debating on taking it into the dealer or not. It's that bad. Only 63K miles on it.

·
17,488 Posts
For the last few months now I've noticed that once the car is up to op. temp. whenever I'm at a light, etc. and the car shifts into neutral (automatic mode), I get a HUGE delay shifting back into first gear. The car will almost feel like it's stalled and then boom, it will slam into gear. I cringe at what it's doing to my trans. I'm debating on taking it into the dealer or not. It's that bad. Only 63K miles on it.
Have you changed the fluid? Sounds like it's time if you haven't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.