Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Service manual does not state which one it is. But the Training class covered this heavily. You could become a GM tech and take the training course. Sorry that's all I got for now.

You joke but that could be a possibly be a future career for me (cross fingers). Is it too much to ask for GM to give a definitive answer on this? If you're a GM tech perhaps you could ask to disclose the information relating to this. I'll continue to research this until I get a solid answer.

I hate it when I run across information like this:

"It should be noted that all Zetec engines (2.0 DOHC) are NOT interference engines. They are listed as interference in most tech manuals but this is wrong. All Data recently corrected this mistake. There are deep reliefs cut into the top of the piston to clear the valves when they are fully extended. There will be no valve damage if the timing belt breaks on a Zetec engine."
Unfortunately I've run into a lot of people who while well intentioned, give out completely wrong information.

I'm no engineer, but my guess would be extremely tight tolerances.

Take a look at the picture under the "Performance" paragraph in XR's blog. There is literally no room in the cylinder except in the piston well when the piston is at TDC. It almost looks as if the valve reliefs are needed just to clear the valves at TDC. I just don't see this as being a non-interference engine.

What to Expect - The 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - The Xtreme Revolution
That could true, but the valves might not need much clearance to operate.

We're not dealing with a top-secret aircraft here. Anyone have a Cruze Diesel they want to offer up to science? I'd do it, but I have to get to work. :tempted:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The tech I sent to the gm training center states absolutely it is interference and when working on the belt or related components you are to never turn it counter clockwise or severe damage will occur. The service manual does back that up.

Normally GM puts a description about each engine in the service manual, but they did not on the 2.0L turbo for whatever reason.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never seen a diesel that wasn't interference in VW land and almost all modern gas engines have gone to interference designs. The only question is whether it uses a belt or a chain, most use belts for noise. The Cummins 12 valve uses gears.

The high compression needed for diesel compression ignition versus spark ignition for gas engines almost guarantees there is no room for a non interference design.

I have a VW 1,6 Mk2 Ecodiesel turbo engine apart in the garage right now and the pistons are relieved for valve clearance. The VW 1.6 NA diesel pistons were relieved for valve clearance. I haven't had a TDI apart yet but I will bet it is the same way.

On a VW 1.6 NA engine, the pistons actually protrude from the top of the short block at TDC and VW makes a few different thicknesses of head gaskets to set head height properly so the valves don't hit the pistons. That's how tight the clearance is and I learned on the first timing belt I did that there is only a very small tolerance on how timing is mechanically set else valves and pistons will collide. They recommend test rotating everything and that is how I caught it.

VW timing belts are usually done at 60k intervals. Dieselgeek makes a kit that is rated for 100k by increasing bearing diameter on all the various rollers but what usually kills the belt is the tensioner failing so 60k seems to be the interval that works safely in VW land. A VW with 70k on a timing belt is called a boat anchor.

If the Cruze has a certain interval for changing the timing belt, I wouldn't exceed it unless you fancy buying yourself a new engine. i really wouldn't count on the warranty bailing you out if it breaks between the recommended TB change interval and the end of your drive train warranty. I had a VW Passat with the Audi 30 valve V6 engine that had a recommended TB change of 75k and a drive train warranty of 100k. The timing belt was my responsibility to change at 75k regardless of the 100k warranty because it was considered a consumable item like brake pads. If Chevy is smart, they'll do the same either now or later.

With regards to changing the belt yourself, I do that on my TDI's and older VW engines because I bought all the fixtures to hold everything in place correctly timed while the belt is tensioned. On VW engines, the cam sprocket floats rather than being keyed but there are fixures for the camshaft, crankshaft, and pump to maintain timing. I really don't know how the Cruze engine is laid out but I expect there is some way to do the same static timing control and the tools will be expensive.

If I get a diesel Cruze (which I intend to) it will be back at the dealer 5k before the TB interval to get the TB service done. When you own a diesel, you don't spend money on plugs and wires and coilpacks and all that spark ignition crap crap so the TB/water pump/cam seal service is where you put your maintenance money into your car.

My .02 from 15 years of VW diesel experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is a somewhat old thread, just wanted to point out that VW hasn't had a TDI in the states with a 60K timing belt interval since 03. As mentioned, even those can be upfitted to a 100K mile belt, pretty much any kit you can buy now does just that. The TDI's produced after that came with a 100K belt from the factory, and the 2.0 common rail TDI starting in 2009 has a 120K mile belt. The newest 2015 engine has a "lifetime" belt, but who knows what that means. 150K miles? Not sure anyone knows yet.

On the topic of this thread, I'm certain it's interference. I haven't seen a diesel that wasn't. Looking at a piston and seeing valve reliefs is absolutely not an indicator one way or another. As stated, TDI's have this as well, and they're all interference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Cruze IS an interference motor just like the TDI .
The new 15 TDI has a life time timing belt (oh boy) ..life time ....Humm I see a light at the end of the tunnel and its a TRAIN!!!! . Humm Life time belt???? kinda like the oh the tranny has a life time fluid in it and we all know how that goes....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Diesel engine are by design high compression (16.5/1), therefore when the piston is at TDC there is almost no volume left. As we can see from the pictures of the piston most of that remaining volume is a hole in the middle, there are small clearances to fit a CLOSED valve into without striking.

Since a typical cam profile is around 0.4-0.5" (don't know the CTD specifically) but, that requires a lot of clearance! We do not have that. Change you timing belt as required. If you don't want to you are taking a large gamble. My $.02

·
Site Sponsor
9 Posts
VW timing belts are usually done at 60k intervals. Dieselgeek makes a kit that is rated for 100k by increasing bearing diameter on all the various rollers but what usually kills the belt is the tensioner failing so 60k seems to be the interval that works safely in VW land. A VW with 70k on a timing belt is called a boat anchor.
To bring this up to date: the last VW with a 60k belt was the 98 New Beetle TDI. Since then all models got 80k, 100k and the newest are 120k intervals.

·
Registered
533 Posts
$399 for the kit:
[FONT=&quot][h=1]Timing Belt Kit (Cruze Diesel)
IDParts Expert Kit[/h]OEM Part Number: 55580776
Manufacturer Number: 55580776
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Complete 100,000 mile timing belt kit for the 2014-2015 Chevrolet Cruze diesel. This kit includes all the timing belt components and hardware to complete the timing belt replacement job. All components are OE/ACDelco or OE supplier.
This kit includes:

• Gates Timing Belt
  • OE Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
  • OE Timing Belt Roller Pulley
  • OE Water Pump
  • Gates Serpentine Belt
  • OE Engine Mount & Engine Bracket Bolt Kit
Optional add-ons include the 4 bolts for the crankshaft pulley for the serpentine drive belt, also called the harmonic balancer.

[h=4]Available Options:[/h] Crankshaft Pulley Bolts (+$14.00)
Tensioner Bolt (+$1.35)

[/FONT]

Reactions: diesel

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts