Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to say there may be a thread on this but I can't seem to find it on the app.

My stock tires are done, will not be usable for another year. So I'm curious on what to buy. Of course mpg matter and I don't drive like a racecar so 100mph turns don't matter to me.

One thread I found mentioned the Kumho PA31 tires as a good replacement but I'd still like some options.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...2015&autoModel=Cruze&autoModClar=Turbo Diesel

performance summer tire. will handle better but im not a 2 mpg eco freak. i rather have a small mpg hit and get better driving safety
Your in Florida so I guess you could do that, I wouldn't expect that tire to last very long. I only have almost 25k on mine, seem to be wearing well. My guess is I will put the Oem tires back on, I don't really have many complaints about them for the driving I do.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
thats very true. local climate will play a part. well i rule of thumb is add 3 0's to tread wear rating and thats miles out of the tire if you treat them nice for daily driving. now im at 24k miles and my oem diesel ones are nearly worn but i auto x them. these would be better up north .the bfg got the best dry and wet grip with very nice road manor and at 100 each a good deal. plus ive noticed eco tires are very loud. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&partnum=155WR7GFC2AS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Cruze&autoModClar=Turbo%20Diesel

·
Registered
310 Posts
You're in Canada right? Definitely do not put a high performance summer tire on your car. In the cold weather the compound gets rock hard and in the snow you will be able to go absolutely nowhere.

An all season like posted above would be a better choice. When mine are wore out I'll probably just replace them with the same ones. I have no complaints about the factory tires so far.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Nova Scotia and normally I would just grab a set of michelin tires or the goodyears that came on the car but I like to see what other people are using. I was impressed by the oem tires other than how fast they wore out. However I do city driving so they obviously won't last as long as the mostly highway guys on here.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're in Canada right? Definitely do not put a high performance summer tire on your car. In the cold weather the compound gets rock hard and in the snow you will be able to go absolutely nowhere.

An all season like posted above would be a better choice. When mine are wore out I'll probably just replace them with the same ones. I have no complaints about the factory tires so far.
I run michelin xi3 tires all winter and then normally an all season for spring/summer/fall.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
My preference is always to go back to the factory tire. But I'm tempted by Nokian's summer tire. They're kind of a well-kept secret.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which one is that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's no reason NOT to put a high performance tire on the car as long as they are not used year-round. We have summer here... You know, where you dress in shorts and sweat. :)

Just change them out for winter compounds when the temp drops below 7˚C or 40˚F.

That being said, I'll probably replace the Goodyears with the same tire as I too am happy with their performance and ride. I may go with a set of Contis if the price is right. My winter tires are Contis and I like them a lot.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The goodyear assurance that you'd buy from a goodyear dealer would be a better quality tire than the ones that come on the car wouldn't they?

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
There's no reason NOT to put a high performance tire on the car as long as they are not used year-round. We have summer here... You know, where you dress in shorts and sweat. :)

Just change them out for winter compounds when the temp drops below 7˚C or 40˚F.

That being said, I'll probably replace the Goodyears with the same tire as I too am happy with their performance and ride. I may go with a set of Contis if the price is right. My winter tires are Contis and I like them a lot.
Contis are known as a difficult tire to balance properly.

·
Registered
310 Posts

The reason I said not to run a summer tire in Nova Scotia, is because buying a set of summer tires will also require you to buy a set of winter tires. So now he has to buy two sets of tires instead of one. If he's fine with that, then there's no problem, but he said he doesn't drive his car hard, so there's really no advantage for him to buy high performance summer tires and a set of winters, when he can buy one set of all seasons and be done.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Understood. I was just pulling your leg.

The reason I said not to run a summer tire in Nova Scotia, is because buying a set of summer tires will also require you to buy a set of winter tires. So now he has to buy two sets of tires instead of one. If he's fine with that, then there's no problem, but he said he doesn't drive his car hard, so there's really no advantage for him to buy high performance summer tires and a set of winters, when he can buy one set of all seasons and be done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Canadians have summer and winter tires?? Hmmn I wonder if my 37's on my Duramax are ok for the summer. :) When my commuter tires are dead ill buy whatever Americas tire has a good sale on. 40k so far on the Cruze and Im guessing ill get atleast another 30k out of em.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

i get snow every month, mountain passes and all, so yes there is a reason to not get 'high performance summer tires'

studs oct-may

all seasons rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
all seasons arent legal here in winter.

2 sets of tires is needed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts