Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Did anyone have installed transmission external cooler yet? I am considering to install transmission external cooler on my diesel cruze . I got scangauge II that comes with diesel cruze firmware last week. When I was driving on freeway and the transmission temp came to 220 degree. I do not believe that it should be normal temp at 210-220. It should be at least 175-195. My Cruze now at 30K and I will take it to service to have the fluid and filter replaced very soon. I had 1995 Chevy Suburban, 4L60E tranny busted at only 85K. Removed the tranny and opened, the wirings are all melt because it ran over 300 degrees even parts already burnt. It does not have tranny gauge. Later I bought 07 Chevy Avalanche with 4L60E. I quickly installed tranny external cooler - Hayden Rapid-Cool 679 and it runs at around 140 degree. The lower temp, it lasts longer. Now at 110K without any issue. I require to change tranny fluid everyt 30K no matter what. So I thought I would do the same thing for Cruze. I want to drive Cruze to 300K miles without any issues on tranny. So I am looking into Hadyen Rapid-Cool 676 or 677.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Just for the record, I am at 151K miles on the original unmodified transmission without issue. I did change to Amsoil fluid at some point after 100K (don't remember the exact miles, but at least 30K miles ago)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Just for the record, I am at 151K miles on the original unmodified transmission without issue. I did change to Amsoil fluid at some point after 100K (don't remember the exact miles, but at least 30K miles ago)
Looks like Amsoil is the way to go then. I've been looking around at my options and it seems Amsoil is going to be the one I'll go for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what temp do you believe that the torque converter will lock up at?
Normally, TC lock up at top gear (sixth gear) It should be under 200. Tomorrow, I will be driving and if it hits 220 again, I will try and change from D to M5 to see if TC will lock out and get temp down. Very curious about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at 2014 Cruze Owner Manual - Maintenance Schedule shows "change automatic transmission fluid, change filter if serviceable at 45K. On any Chevy transmission, I normally get the fluid change at every 30K. I am considering to get Amsoil fluid after reading many positives.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Normally, TC lock up at top gear (sixth gear) It should be under 200. Tomorrow, I will be driving and if it hits 220 again, I will try and change from D to M5 to see if TC will lock out and get temp down. Very curious about it.
the trans is designed to lock up in any gear above 1st if temps get high, higher than youre worried aboot

and basing a fwd transmission's temps with a rwd transmission's temps has zero basis.

everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
The oil usually runs hotter than the radiator fluid or you wouldn't get any cooling at all. 220 sounds good to me especially with that mileage.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Hi - Did anyone have installed transmission external cooler yet? I am considering to install transmission external cooler on my diesel cruze .
you do realize that the cruze diesel already has a external oil to air tranny cooler that is actually very big

·
Registered
373 Posts
There you go...good point!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
The oil usually runs hotter than the radiator fluid or you wouldn't get any cooling at all. 220 sounds good to me especially with that mileage.
this is the reason i bypassed the in radiator oil to water cooler on my grand cherokee. its another point of failure to get coolant in a slush box and BOOOOMMM!!!!. as you stated its actually more of a heater lol. once my warrenty is out i will bypass and out in an even bigger oil to air cooler

Reactions: outdoorjr

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
this is the reason i bypassed the in radiator oil to water cooler on my grand cherokee. its another point of failure to get coolant in a slush box and BOOOOMMM!!!!. as you stated its actually more of a heater lol. once my warrenty is out i will bypass and out in an even bigger oil to air cooler
I had a radiator oil cooler fill the transmission with radiator fluid in a Falcon station wagon I used to own. Luckily it was a cheap transmission to recondition and I just had an external oil cooler fitted and sealed the outlets from the radiator. I never had another problem after that. At least with the gearbox or radiator, the rest of the car was a heap of rubbish.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Some more...this is how my outdated completely different transmission worked so it must apply to everything. Modern autos are designed to run at higher temperatures. Occasionally draining and filling is the best way to keep it healthy IMO. Luckily it's really easy on this car even though it doesn't appear to be at first.

PS. This transmission does not have a filter.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
PS. This transmission does not have a filter.
Does this also apply to the 6T45 transmission in my CTD, I really have no idea as this is much different to the older cars I have owned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you do realize that the cruze diesel already has a external oil to air tranny cooler that is actually very big
I guess I am old school guy who thinks it does not have one. Ha. Then the temp should be much lower. I will have the transmission service, drain and fill with amsoil to see if temp goes down a little bit. I can not believe that transmission does not have filter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the diagram. Saw diagram on other link showing this on the top of radiator. Hmm. I am still not comfortable seeing 220 degrees on highways where outside is at 60 degrees. I respect folks who thinks 220 is fine but for me it's a no.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I guess I am old school guy who thinks it does not have one. Ha. Then the temp should be much lower. I will have the transmission service, drain and fill with amsoil to see if temp goes down a little bit. I can not believe that transmission does not have filter.
You have to remember this is not only a trans but a trans axle. its the heat of the engine, the tranny and differential all in one very tight area that is covered by panels to help with airo dynamics vs bay cooling, these type of FWD set ups are naturally gonna be more heat soaked and heated then a ol longitudinal set up

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
New designs, by intent, have the trans fluid operating at close to coolant temperature and honestly, 250 degrees is meaningless to any lubricant.

The Cruze has a trans filter but it not serviceable.....the trans case has to split open to get to it.
It is rather large and considered a life of trans component.
I don't think I've seen any debris buildup in a trans (a healthy trans) in well over fifteen years.....these new fluids, mineral and synthetic alike, are very tolerant of the conditions found in FWD units.....it particular, the final drive......something fluids of the past never had to contend with.

I am a fan of fluid changing, just a drain and fill to recharge the detergents and friction modifiers, at 50k intervals if your plans are long term ownership.
I am not a fan of overcooling, or, what I call, trying to out engineer a engineer.......that air to oil add on cooler that came standard is plenty of cooling for this little trans.

Since the torque converter is generally in lockup over 30 mph, the only heat producer is the shearing effect of the planetarys and final drive.

Now, if you are planning on pulling a small trailer or some serious weight, I would likely change my tune if over 1000 lbs. (unwise over 1000 lbs. though.....it ain't a truck).

Rob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.