Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to notice in my owners manual that it has transmission service intervals for the gassers but doesnt say anything about diesel models. Also noticed its a different fluid...not dexron which I thought was wierd. Does anybody know anything about theses transmissions? Because i dont like the idea of "life time of vehicle" fluids

·
Registered
80 Posts
On the diesel it is not a GM transmission. The transmission is built by Aisin. So that is why there is a weird fluid spec. As for changing the fluid I am not sure. I would do it every 30,000 to 50,000 though.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Recommended interval is 97.5k miles. Severe Duty is half that. I have found many online quotes that the Aisin fluid is non-serviceable.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Recommended interval is 97.5k miles. Severe Duty is half that. I have found many online quotes that the Aisin fluid is non-serviceable.
There are many cars that use the same AF40, although with different valve bodies. The latest revision of the 2014 Cruze Owner's manual does not differentiate between gas or diesel for the transmission fluid severe service interval. It is recommended that you change it every 45k miles. 90% of people fall under the severe service category. The only time you'd fall under normal service is if you were driving all highway and you lived right by the highway. In Saabs that use the same transmission, they specify as low as 35k miles if not lower.

Refer to this thread as well, as the OE fluid is VERY expensive:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-chevy-cruze-diesel-general-discussion/72674-amsoil-now-has-atf-recommendation-ctd.html

Fluid change procedure is outlined by Volvo here:
AF40 fluid change - PDF

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would recommend doing a transmission service @ 30k on the CRTDI Cruze. VW DSG is every 40k with synthetic in it if that gives you an idea. Remember VW/Toyota/Mini and a few others do use Aisin's transmissions in many auto line up. Aisin is a very good at what they build. We all have seen the proof in Toyota and VW for some time now on how well they hold up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am still debating on when (or if) I want to change my fluid. I am partially curious as to how long the transmission will last without a change.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Wirh the type of driving you do, i suspect a long time
Probably true, but I do spend a fair amount of time in traffic too.

·
Banned
168 Posts
I believe you might have it backwards, Xtreme. Based on the actual definitions in owner's manuals, 90% of Cruze drivers are "normal service" and maybe 10% are "extreme service." For one, I doubt too many Cruze's are used for towing, and if so, only for a Sunfish or something very light. Certainly, a Cruze used as a city taxi would fit into extreme service. I am compelled to raise this issue with you due to my concern for the environment - normal service intervals are better for the environment. And for everyone's pocketbook.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
I believe you might have it backwards, Xtreme. Based on the actual definitions in owner's manuals, 90% of Cruze drivers are "normal service" and maybe 10% are "extreme service." For one, I doubt too many Cruze's are used for towing, and if so, only for a Sunfish or something very light. Certainly, a Cruze used as a city taxi would fit into extreme service. I am compelled to raise this issue with you due to my concern for the environment - normal service intervals are better for the environment. And for everyone's pocketbook.
The following consist of severe service driving:

Mountainous driving
Stop and go traffic
Conditions exceeding 100F ambient
Short trips
Racing
Towing

What we have seen from the way fluid holds up reinforces that criteria. If you want to believe your condition for driving is "normal" then by all means run your transmission fluid out to 90k, but don't be surprised if it doesn't shift the same way it used to and your clutches have significant wear. Fluid is far cheaper than a new transmission.

My mom's car would be considered normal driving according to her owner's manual, yet at 84k miles, that fluid was so far gone that it went at least 30k miles more than it should have. By 100k, if I hadn't strongly advised a complete flush, the transmission would have been showing serious problems.

I'm not saying everyone should change their ATF at 45k miles, but I am saying not everyone's driving is as "normal" as they think.

When in doubt, pay the $25 and have it analyzed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'll do mine @ whatever mileage I'm at
When I hit the 2 yr point. Of course I'll spend the extra and get the signature series amsoil. How could I not get amsoil with the reviews on here

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
What is the parts cost of fluid for our Aisin transmission?
I can't post pricing but I can tell you it's about 1/3 the price of AW-1 fluid...at retail price.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I am game. I'll replace my fluid early at 50ish thousand miles. Maybe the tune puts me in the "severe" duty column :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts