Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
10,705 Posts
I am game. I'll replace my fluid early at 50ish thousand miles. Maybe the tune puts me in the "severe" duty column :D
If you got a tune, it's safe to say you are in the extreme duty. Before I tuned I probably burned up the manual fluid even between the 2 fluid swaps with the axle replacements.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel “49000 miles”
52 Posts
I'll do mine @ whatever mileage I'm at
When I hit the 2 yr point. Of course I'll spend the extra and get the signature series amsoil. How could I not get amsoil with the reviews on here

Sent from the sexy electrician
Did you run the signature Amsoil? If so how did it shift afterwards?

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
I went to my dealer and had it done at 30k, they used the GM spec oil for that ASIN transmission. The writer even specified the parts number so proper oil was used. I’m sure they simply unhooked the cooler lines and did the flush with the machine. At 50-60k I’m going to switch to amsoil.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,307 Posts
Make sure to check said trans cooler lines. I have to imagine the leak I had sometime before I replaced the lines (which was hell) has directly led to the issues we have now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone used the valvoline max life multi vehicle synthetic ATF? On their website it shows the AW-1 spec.

·
Registered
'15 Cruze Diesel
6 Posts
I'm new to this post ... but has anyone tried something other then Amsoil i.e. Redline in their Cruze diesel auto transmission?

Red Line D6 Automatic Transmission Fluid 30704

Aisin Warner AW-1
is the first in their OEM compatibility list !
It is a little more expensive then that the of Amsoil but the Redline claim better spec's compared to Amsoil.
And when I initially place my order online line with Amsoil they MUC it up, told me that it would ship first
business day and here we are a week latter and no oil, supposedly it was in stock initially and even in stock when I called today but their customer service told me it was a CC problem, I call my CC and they told me that the merchant retracted the order. If they can't even get their ordering system right can they even formulate the product correctly during manufacturing??

I have used both Redline and Royal Purple in my vehicles of the past and never had an issue with their products nor with online ordering, was going to try Amsoil but not so sure any more?:unsure:🙄

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm new to this post ... but has anyone tried something other then Amsoil i.e. Redline in their Cruze diesel auto transmission?

Red Line D6 Automatic Transmission Fluid 30704

Aisin Warner AW-1
is the first in their OEM compatibility list !
It is a little more expensive then that the of Amsoil but the Redline claim better spec's compared to Amsoil.
And when I initially place my order online line with Amsoil they MUC it up, told me that it would ship first
business day and here we are a week latter and no oil, supposedly it was in stock initially and even in stock when I called today but their customer service told me it was a CC problem, I call my CC and they told me that the merchant retracted the order. If they can't even get their ordering system right can they even formulate the product correctly during manufacturing??

I have used both Redline and Royal Purple in my vehicles of the past and never had an issue with their products nor with online ordering, was going to try Amsoil but not so sure any more?:unsure:🙄
read the post before yours

yes i have been

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can get the Pentosin ATF LV 5 liter bottle on RockAuto for like 40 bucks. Buy 2 and you'll have about a liter left over after doing 3 flushes. Fluid should be mostly red at that point.

·
Registered
'15 Cruze Diesel
6 Posts
Hey Boraz, I've noticed you been around this blog for some time now and further have 112K mi on your 2014 CTD. Don't mean to call you out on this topic...but? Your claim is that after 30K mi of the original 112K mi being with "Fords AW1" (?) transmission fluid... "the car is great". How do you qualify the car as "great" with consideration to the specific performance of the transmission using some unspecified Ford fluid which you admitted was the "cheapest" you could find? And what is your expectation for the longevity of your vehicle? Does Ford put into print and/or warranty that Ford Mercon and/or "SP" or "what ever" fluid you used as the "cheapest", is a direct replacement for Aisin AW1 as used in the Cruze diesel application which I've have seen in print labeled as a "mineral oil" based fluid? Have you torn down and/or drained the Ford fluid to have it analyzed for any compatabilty issues with seals, clutch materials and bearing as such?

My Cruze is 5 years old and has 130K mi on the clock, it also runs "great" but do I really want to keep the original fluid in it for another 130K +++ mi? I don't think so!! My expectation is for this vehicle to out live myself so that means for myself at least another 130K +++ mi! Being an engineer by profession for over 45 years I find myself relying on manufacturers published specifications to get the max useful life out of a product and that is also my mentality when designing in my profession as an engineer. My personal philosophy with my vehicles has been to follow manufacturers recommendations without fail and I've been able to go 200K to 300K miles reliably without any major drive train failures/overhauls.

So in short... a 30K mi experimental use of an unapproved fluid, UN-quantified, undocumented, gut feel test run does not give me any comfy feeling that I will meet my expectations of 300K +++ mi without a major transmission overhaul. Should Ford publish specs and warranty that their "generic what ever" fluid is qualified in application where Aisin AW1 is intended, I would fully appreciate and welcome this valued information and their printed warranty similar to Amsoil claims for their oil products. The only problem Amsoil has is that they need to train their staff on how to operate their order entry system!

·
Registered
'15 Cruze Diesel
6 Posts
You can get the Pentosin ATF LV 5 liter bottle on RockAuto for like 40 bucks. Buy 2 and you'll have about a liter left over after doing 3 flushes. Fluid should be mostly red at that point.
Thks BDCCruze; looks like a good spec'd alternative at a fair price with free shipping from amazon! How far have you gone without flush and what did it look like when finally drained? I've gone 130K mi on original and although shifting fine getting a little concerned due to total miles now?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hey Boraz, I've noticed you been around this blog for some time now and further have 112K mi on your 2014 CTD. Don't mean to call you out on this topic...but? Your claim is that after 30K mi of the original 112K mi being with "Fords AW1" (?) transmission fluid... "the car is great". How do you qualify the car as "great" with consideration to the specific performance of the transmission using some unspecified Ford fluid which you admitted was the "cheapest" you could find? And what is your expectation for the longevity of your vehicle? Does Ford put into print and/or warranty that Ford Mercon and/or "SP" or "what ever" fluid you used as the "cheapest", is a direct replacement for Aisin AW1 as used in the Cruze diesel application which I've have seen in print labeled as a "mineral oil" based fluid? Have you torn down and/or drained the Ford fluid to have it analyzed for any compatabilty issues with seals, clutch materials and bearing as such?

My Cruze is 5 years old and has 130K mi on the clock, it also runs "great" but do I really want to keep the original fluid in it for another 130K +++ mi? I don't think so!! My expectation is for this vehicle to out live myself so that means for myself at least another 130K +++ mi! Being an engineer by profession for over 45 years I find myself relying on manufacturers published specifications to get the max useful life out of a product and that is also my mentality when designing in my profession as an engineer. My personal philosophy with my vehicles has been to follow manufacturers recommendations without fail and I've been able to go 200K to 300K miles reliably without any major drive train failures/overhauls.

So in short... a 30K mi experimental use of an unapproved fluid, UN-quantified, undocumented, gut feel test run does not give me any comfy feeling that I will meet my expectations of 300K +++ mi without a major transmission overhaul. Should Ford publish specs and warranty that their "generic what ever" fluid is qualified in application where Aisin AW1 is intended, I would fully appreciate and welcome this valued information and their printed warranty similar to Amsoil claims for their oil products. The only problem Amsoil has is that they need to train their staff on how to operate their order entry system!
you got your math wrong

92,000 miles on the unspecified ford fluid.

its not a chevy trans

its a af40-6, its been in 50+??? different cars, incl ford....thats why they sell the fluid.

i have a friend that is a retired mechanic, but before retirement he was THE saab mechanic to goto in texas, he owned 13 saabs at the time, lol....lotsa them with af40-6

he only ever used the toyota fluid as he worked at a lexus dealer, so he got it free.

he told me to change the fluid erry 30k miles, and itll last....he only ever had to change out some speed sensors or solenoids, all easy peasy

i have 3 AW trans in my driveway, 1 in the cruze, 2 in my 2 98 xjs....they have 190,000 miles on each....ive changed out one overdrive solenoid, otherwise trans fluid changes erry 50k miles

i only change the oil in them once a year as well, and use the cheapest dino oil i can find, and fram oil filters to ruffle the weiners on the internet

both those jeeps will be running just fine 10yrs from now, despite the harm im doin them, lol

my cruze is deleted too, so im putting even extra harm on my trans with the generic fluid with all the extra hp/tq.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,307 Posts
What are these "replaceable solenoids" you speak of...those might be the ticket for ours...

And yes, my buddy has this exact transmission in his Fusion - I think the number of vehicles it's in definitely is around 50, yeah, if not 100 - it's a lot. He changes his fluid every 30k or so, and it comes out black as night every time. But it's his DD and the trans is still all good!

I wish ours was...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What are these "replaceable solenoids" you speak of...those might be the ticket for ours...

And yes, my buddy has this exact transmission in his Fusion - I think the number of vehicles it's in definitely is around 50, yeah, if not 100 - it's a lot. He changes his fluid every 30k or so, and it comes out black as night every time. But it's his DD and the trans is still all good!

I wish ours was...
his answer when i asked aboot the trans

They are very good transmissions. I actually had to take a class on them when I was at SAAB. They are pretty reliable and can take a pretty good beating.

The only issues they have are an occasional neutral safety switch and output speed sensors. Both of which are external and very easy to replace, like 5 mins jobs.

Make sure to change the fluid every 30K miles even though its "life-time" fluid.
i googled as much as i could aboot the car, the motor, the trans (both used in dozens of vehicles) for 2 mos....the driveline of this car is bulletproof

the emissions had zero time in the field, we were beta testers....and thats been the achilles heel of the car

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts

I wish ours was...
What’s up with yours?

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Got amsoil signature series case of 12 for 130 shipped to my door. Not bad price wise. They say double manufacturer miles from 45 to 90k with their oil but I’m only gonna do 45k on it. 200$ every 5-7 years isn’t much.

·
Registered
'15 Cruze Diesel
6 Posts
you got your math wrong

92,000 miles on the unspecified ford fluid.
If seems as though you avoid my question on what specific "cheapest" magic Ford elixir you run in your Cruze diesel to reliably run 92K mi without a fluid change that makes your transmission run "great" which fluid when drained looks like tar after only 30K mi??🧐:rolleyes::unsure:(n)

My '05 F350 "SP" transmission fluid looks like it just pour out of the can at 100K miles on it and so does the fluid from the '05 Bonne GXP N* running Dexron III H. Neither fluid can be classified as the "cheapest and/or low cost" though. Just attempting to find out what the established knowledge base on Cruzetalk has determined to be the best for the Cruze diesel over the long haul with economies taken into consideration for long and short haul drain intervals. Please don't take my comments as an attempt to debunk anyone myth and/or old wives tale.;) Thank you.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If seems as though you avoid my question on what specific "cheapest" magic Ford elixir you run in your Cruze diesel to reliably run 92K mi without a fluid change that makes your transmission run "great" which fluid when drained looks like tar after only 30K mi??🧐:rolleyes::unsure:(n)

My '05 F350 "SP" transmission fluid looks like it just pour out of the can at 100K miles on it and so does the fluid from the '05 Bonne GXP N* running Dexron III H. Neither fluid can be classified as the "cheapest and/or low cost" though. Just attempting to find out what the established knowledge base on Cruzetalk has determined to be the best for the Cruze diesel over the long haul with economies taken into consideration for long and short haul drain intervals. Please don't take my comments as an attempt to debunk anyone myth and/or old wives tale.;) Thank you.
i never claimed to run 92k miles without a change, and show me on a map where i claimed it looked like tar?

i changed the stock aw1 at 30k miles, with ford aw1 and erry 30k miles since, so 92k miles of perfect driving on ford aw1

errybody else here has drunk the amsoil flavor aid

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Has anyone here with a scan gauge or monitor seen average trans temps on the diesel? How good of a job does out oil to air cooler do? It’s not very tall but very wide so surface area seems good. I know slush boxes enemy is heat.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thks BDCCruze; looks like a good spec'd alternative at a fair price with free shipping from amazon! How far have you gone without flush and what did it look like when finally drained? I've gone 130K mi on original and although shifting fine getting a little concerned due to total miles now?
You can read about my experience with fluid color pictures here. I recently replaced my cooler lines at 135k miles, and did a 3 liter flush to set the fluid level and the fluid color was still the same as it was in the last jug in the picture. So in 55k miles the color did not change.

The fluid on these after a short time turns black. I think GM used mineral oil (non-synthetic) and it doesn't hold it's color well.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts