Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember I mentioned my 2013 RS made a certain noise only @ 38-45 MPH.... I called a radio car talk show and mentioned this to him and he suggested replacing both drums and shoes.
I have been looking into the parts involved online and Rock auto states what I suspect(just buy 2 drums and a set of shoes) However, gmpartsdirect.com states the drums are different left and right? They are listed that way for any 2011- 2016(Limited) so my 2014 LT would be the same. This is the case using my VIN or just the year and make. This logically makes no sense! I have not bought anything and the only thing I may buy is new shoes and maybe new mounting hardware (springs etc).. I think maybe someone tried to replace and didn't know what they were doing. Any ideas why the diff. left and right and they are all special order.

What IS see this has been brought up before: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-...-numbers-left-right-brake-drums-2012-eco.html

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Could this be an engineering attempt to track defects, by assigning a different part number to the left and the right? Form fit and function they are the same, but by part numbering them differently, you can very easily tell from inventory if there's a quality issue, or if they are seeing failures.

I've seen this done before in other industries. The same part, form fit and function is part numbered many times, for various tracking and marketing purposes.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Remove each drum....sand it by hand with a heavy sandpaper....sand the glaze from the shoes as well (just break the glazing a bit. No emery allowed....the adhesive can cause a reaction of some sort) and reinstall on the other side. Re-adjust as needed. In short, you are rotating the drums.

What you are doing is presenting a method to create a new wear pattern to the shoes.

I did this on my 12 eco.....end of noise......can't beat the price.

Write back in a few hundred miles.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Another member pm'ed me and told m that one of the part#s was superseded by another. Remember how the AC Delco plug #s changed when the car was first built in 2011/12 until it finally resolved as 41-121. I believe there was 41-119 or 120 or something like that. the Drums are same fit and function for both sides so.... just a changing of the numbers. Turns out the # on the car is 12774829(I guess superseded by 13435981) I only saw that after doing as Robby suggested and swapping the drums only after sanding. I am now out to see how it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.