Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I got this in the mail shortly after ordering it and today was the first day I had time to install them. It came with more parts than I anticipated. Having never converted to HID before, I thought it would be 2 bulbs and a ballast for each. The kit included 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, with each ballast being wired to an unlabeled box, which was then wired to a box labeled error cancellation (or something similar). Then there was a 6 foot long octopus of a wire harness with multiple wires and plugs all coming from a relay box. Most of the plugs were labeled for where they should be connected, which helped since this whole kit came with no instructions. I was not happy about the lack of instructions. The paperwork said the instructions could be found on the page from where the item was purchased, but at the time of this writing, it was not there. It also said it could be found on their YouTube page, but I could not find it there either.

Once I laid out the main harness and matched up the ballasts/harness pairs to their proper plugs, I felt confident enough that I could use trial & error on the remaining plugs without causing any damage to the kit or car.

The components in the kit felt very solid when handling them. There was a small connector for each bulbs high beam function and those connectors had small gauge wires, which felt like they could be pulled out of the connector if not handled carefully, but everything else felt like it was more than capable of withstanding the conditions of an engine bay. I am a military aircraft mechanic so trust me when I say these do not feel like the cheap, flimsy made in china type of parts you would expect to find in a cheap ebay kit.

The install was pretty easy. The hardest part was figuring out how to disconnect the factory plug from the back of the headlight (don't know why I struggled with this), and where to find a chassis ground on the passenger side of the engine bay. There's a surprising amount of plastic trim under the hood. Drive side seems to have a stud with something grounded every 4 inches, but not so on the passenger side. Those are car issues though, not issues with the kit.

I selected the 6000k bulbs. It's a nice white with just the faintest touch of blue from in the car. The blue is more perceivable from outside the car looking into the lights. They are a lot brighter than the factory lights (or what every halogen lights the previous owner put in my car) and if they are aimed too high, people will flash you. The high beams are the same intensity, since its the same bulb with a moving base to allow it to aim higher for a high beam projection. They react pretty fast if you flick your flash to pass, but it is a slightly slower response than having a 2 filament bulb. Its nothing of a safety concern, just something I noticed. The high beams do project further down the road and the cone of light is very clear. With the music turned way down or off, you can hear the bulbs move when they project up. Its not distracting, just different to hear a sound from it.

I did spend some time aiming my headlights to get the right balance with the low beam and high beam projection. I even parked with the lights on and drove my wife's car toward mine, just to make sure I wouldn't be blinding other cars.

I'm very satisfied with the performance of the lights and the quality of the kit. I live in the country and took it for a ride on some unlit country roads tonight. It was refreshing to be able to see more with these lights. I'll try to post pics tomorrow night. Its hard to photograph light but I have an SLR camera so I'll dust it off and give it a shot.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
OK - once you have them installed take your car out at night and shine the head lights on a wall from about 50 ft. The wall can be the garage across the street. If you have a good cutoff line about two feet off the ground you're good. if the cutoff line his higher you need to aim your headlights down until it's there. If there is no cutoff line, which is what I suspect since you didn't mention replacing the headlight housings, go get a projector lamp housing retrofit and install that. HIDs cannot be safely used in non-projector lamp systems. They will blind everyone coming towards you and as we grow older it takes longer for our eyes to recover from on-coming headlights.

In fact, blinding on-coming traffic puts you at higher risk of a head on collision as most people will unconsciously steer towards what's blinding them. In this case you would be the one at fault for having an illegal head light modification. A good lawyer for the other driver will win this case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what the low beams look like from 50 feet.

DSC_5610.jpg

Here is the same low beams from 50 feet with the camera shutter left open for much longer.

DSC_5611.jpg

A camera accumulates light and your eye does not, so this pic looks brighter than it actually is while the first pic looks dimmer than it actually is.

I checked my wife's 2007 Camry, and another car that looked like a 3 or 4 year old Nissan Altima or Maxima in the same driveway from the same distance (both cars have factory halogen bulbs) and the line from their lights hit the garage door at or just below the top edge of the second row of square panels from the bottom, with dimmer light illuminating the entire front of the garage.

As I said in my original post, I parked the car (on level ground) with the lights on and drove toward it in another car (2007 Camry) to make sure the light does not blind oncoming drivers. It does not. You can see that the car has its headlights on, but there is no glare or sharp, bright light in your eyes. Since I've put them in, I've been into 2 states and have had enough other cars and enough cops come toward me without anyone flashing me that I'm going to leave them as they are unless they become a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic from my cell phone from in the car facing the opposite direction from my garage. This pic is right side up on my phone and PC, but it looks upside down on this site so I must have had the phone upside down and it doesn't translate itself around on here. Same low beams as before.

HID Low.jpg

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have one on my gen 2 cruze lt and love it and it matches the drl almost perfectly

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread but I recently purchased a set of aftermarket headlights and am thinking about doing the HID conversion on them, I was wondering however if those of you who have had the HID kit for awhile now had to use the heavy-duty HID relay harness DD offers for an extra $30? Either way, are you still happy with the lights? Would you do anything different, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts