Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read somewhere that it was, but can't remember where. Getting old and senile I guess.

·
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Start/stop is normally good for 1 mpg

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Noticed a few days ago if you buy the highest model of Buick Encore it already gets the new DI 1.4T. This engine makes 15HP and 29lb-ft of torque more than the current 1.4T and in the cruze gets a few MPG better on the highway.

This link below shows the MPG for the encore with the old engine and new one FWD and AWD. From left to right, OLD 1.4T FWD, OLD 1.4T AWD, then DI 1.4T FWD and finally DI 1.4T AWD. Looks like the FWD gains 3MPG city and 1MPG highway while the AWD gains 3MPG city and 2MPG highway.

Compare Side-by-Side

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
suppose the starter motor will be beefier to better handle the added work ?
Robby posted something awhile back. IIRC, the starter is the alternator. So there's no starter clutch or anything like that. And it's fast. No crank, it's just running again.

IOW, the starter is completely re-engineered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have start/stop on my 2014 Malibu and the biggest problem is getting the engine to shutoff when you stop. Maybe in the 2016 MY GM will work the start/stop strategy so it works better. For my 2014 Cruze, I simply shut it off if I know a light is going to last more than 10 seconds. Since my Cruze is a daily driver to and from work, I know all the lights I have to stop at and I know the long and short ones. As far as wear and tear on the starter, we'll see. However, I do try my best to time the lights so I don't get caught by them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have start/stop on my 2014 Malibu and the biggest problem is getting the engine to shutoff when you stop. Maybe in the 2016 MY GM will work the start/stop strategy so it works better. For my 2014 Cruze, I simply shut it off if I know a light is going to last more than 10 seconds. Since my Cruze is a daily driver to and from work, I know all the lights I have to stop at and I know the long and short ones. As far as wear and tear on the starter, we'll see. However, I do try my best to time the lights so I don't get caught by them.
If you have the HVAC running, and it isn't in ECO mode, it won't shut off. There are other parameters that have to be met as well, such as ECT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts