Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Brief update: car is back at the dealership for same issue. This time I’ve compiled a list and a spreadsheet of conditions this happens under, doesn’t happen under, how to drive to make the issue be felt, etc

I made it clear that they are to partner with GM in the absence of a check engine light, but that they should take a look at the EGR cooler and the MAP sensor

MAP has direct impact on vehicles timing and its downstream of the egr valve inside the intake. My egr was very clogged so I’d imagine the cooler and map sensor are as well

Fingers crossed. Every time I go without the car and then drive it again, I appreciate the way it drives so much more. I’d love to turn this bad experience around and keep the car

I’ve got a loaner car, they have a list of exactly how to drive the car to feel the issue, when it happens, doesn’t happen, etc. I also said I’d happily come down and go on a ride with the mechanic.

Because these issues began at around 20,000 miles and were documented in detail by previous dealerships, my argument will be that I shouldn’t have to pay a dime for any of this- everything would have previously been covered by the bumper to bumper warranty.

I also have the highest protection from CNA that I purchased (whether it’s of any use or not)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quite the saga.. I had a saga with the 7" MyLink unit in one of my cars. At one point they (GM Tech) made an absurd claim that the unit "doesn't work well with Android" and expected that to be a "solution" to the problem with no work done to fix it! After a saga similar to yours, but having to demonstrate using a SECOND CRUZE that I happen to own with the SAME MyLink unit to show them the behaviour was not normal. I joked that I didn't think I would have to own TWO cars with the same unit to prove that the one with problems was in need of replacement!

Ironically, I had 2 of my Diesel Cruze fleet that had the EGR Coolers replaced under warranty when they threw a CEL for the cooler.. Ironically I never had the issues you are having on either Gen 2 (but did have similar on Gen 1 with a dirty intake/EGR), and frankly the CEL even cleared on it's own, on both cars, but they still replaced it without hassle (except the very, very long delay to get the part).

I guess my dealership frustrations are pretty minor in comparison, but there is a certain trend, and it's not just a GM thing, I think it's become an issue with most car brands, they are reluctant to do warranty work, because it does'nt pay well, and at times the OEMs won't authorize the work, and they definitly don't want to do it without getting paid, even if it's not paid well.

As to complexity of these modern vehicles, I can attest to that, I'm working a strange issue on my 2009 Dodge Cummins Truck, where it randomly shuts off the DTC/OBD2 port. It's likely been an issue since new, but I only began to notice when I plugged in a OBD2 monitor. The issue is extra difficult, because that the port that you'd use to connect to the vehicle to get diagnostic information, but when it's down, how to get the picture on what is going on? The CAN Bus that connects the computers seems to be intentionally shuting down that connection, but everything else is working, as far as I can tell, but it's impossible to confirm. In the process to TS this problem, I've had to get a 2 channel O-Scope, because to see any possible interference on the network, that is how you see it... I also now have the Mopar tool and if needed can flash the ECM, with a subscription to the Mopar site.. and that requires a stable fast internet connection, and a solid 13-13.5V constant voltage on the vehicle, it's a project for this weekend.. having said all that, it's true, they do rely on the DTCs from the cars onboard diagnostics to determine what to fix, and when they don't have a code, I think they are at a loss to figure out what is going on, and certainly GM won't let them do old fashioned diagnostics, assuming they actually have techs that know how to do that to begin with.

On a final note, speaking of DTCs, when my 2009 was still under warranty, it did throw a DTC and MIL light came on, yet when I had the dealer look at it, the simply cleared the code and did nothing else... because the DTC code was for an AUTOMATIC transmission issue.. my truck is a 6sp MANUAL. Looking back, that was likely related to the same issue I'm having now, as I have had other random codes, but NONE of them are applicable to my truck, so they are just spurious and random.. something on the network, some computer is acting up, now to find out which one and fix it.. that is the challenge.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ironically, I had 2 of my Diesel Cruze fleet that had the EGR Coolers replaced under warranty when they threw a CEL for the cooler.. Ironically I never had the issues you are having on either Gen 2 (but did have similar on Gen 1 with a dirty intake/EGR), and frankly the CEL even cleared on it's own, on both cars, but they still replaced it without hassle (except the very, very long delay to get the part).
That EGR cooler recall is worth bringing up. I forgot about that, even though it was done to my car with basically the same story you tell (CEL, went away on it's own, waited a long time for the part, it was replaced).

The EGR cooler is a new part number, so they've changed something. Maybe that needs to be done to clear up the original poster's problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That EGR cooler recall is worth bringing up. I forgot about that, even though it was done to my car with basically the same story you tell (CEL, went away on it's own, waited a long time for the part, it was replaced).

The EGR cooler is a new part number, so they've changed something. Maybe that needs to be done to clear up the original poster's problem.
I searched a lot for an egr cooler recall on gen 2, could you help point me in the right direction? I tried google and searching the forum. You may be on to something

·
Registered
648 Posts
I searched a lot for an egr cooler recall on gen 2, could you help point me in the right direction? I tried google and searching the forum. You may be on to something
I don't have a lot of information other than what I experienced.

It was a CEL for some EGR codes involving the cooler bypass valve. The ECU bypasses the EGR cooler to help the engine warm up quickly in cold weather, and it also helps the get the engine to operating temperature quickly in hot weather as well. With my CEL the mechanic inspected and found there wasn't excessive soot accumulation that would jam up the valve. He was able to physically actuate the valve (with his hand) and when he used a computer to command the valve to open and close it worked just fine.

Submitting his report to GM technical was enough to get their response to replace the EGR cooler assembly. This took a few months because the part was on backorder. It was probably a combination of redesigning a new part and the GM strike also didn't help. When the part arrived about 4 months later they replaced my EGR cooler and the new part has a new number on it, so something has been changed.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I do not recall it bein a recall for the EGR Cooler, but 2 of my 3 Gen 2s did have it replaced. Now it is interesting to note, the last car, lowest miles, It also briefly had the same CEL, but I waited to the next and last free oil change to have the dealship look into it, it had cleared on it's own, and had enough clear time that when they read it, the codes had cleared, so nothing was done.

It does appear to have a new part number, but the numbers are odd, since the 2 that have been replaced don't have the same numbers, but it is differnt than the original numbers.. so it's hard to know what the deal is, my guess is that these just get dirty, and it's easier to replace than clean them under warranty, as the parts cost is less than many hours of shop labor that would be needed to properly clean them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It does appear to have a new part number, but the numbers are odd, since the 2 that have been replaced don't have the same numbers, but it is differnt than the original numbers.. so it's hard to know what the deal is, my guess is that these just get dirty, and it's easier to replace than clean them under warranty, as the parts cost is less than many hours of shop labor that would be needed to properly clean them.
Looking at those numbers on mine, I think they are some sort of casting assembly number or date code. I couldn't really figure it out. The part number is different from what is stamped on that top surface on either my old one or new one. When mine clogged up it threw one DTC but never a CEL. So if I hadn't taken it to the dealer to look for something else, I don't know if I ever would have known ... or maybe it would have just clogged worse. And it had multiple dealer visits where it didn't show any DTCs even though it had to have been at least partially clogged for some time. I think you are right that they just get dirty and it's so much effort to clean them it makes more sense to replace them. It's a bummer because I don't really know what I can do differently to prevent it happening again.

Reactions: MRO1791
41 - 47 of 47 Posts