Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The times of day I'm driving are having a negative effect on the automatic lighting. It's plenty bright enough outside to not require the lights to be on, but if I'm behind some trees or buildings, the shade will cause the sensor to turn the lights on. When I arrive at work, I can barely see the backup camera image on my screen (I like to keep the dash lights on low at night as it irritates my eyes). I remember reading somewhere that a resistor can be spliced in-line with the light sensor to make the system think it's always bright outside. This would allow me to have manual control over the lighting, which I would prefer in general regardless. Has anyone done this or know if it may work? Where can I find out where the wire is located (other than at the sensor itself)? I would prefer not to have to tear open the whole dash to get at it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Instead of splicing in a resistor. How about fixing the problem instead.

I had the exact same problem you had. Dealer waranteed battery and all is good again.

Your car didn't need a resistor and worked just fine when it was new. It shouldn't need one now.

Have your battery and alternator checked out. These cars do funny things these days when the battery doesn't stay fully charged.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of splicing in a resistor. How about fixing the problem instead.

I had the exact same problem you had. Dealer waranteed battery and all is good again.

Your car didn't need a resistor and worked just fine when it was new. It shouldn't need one now.

Have your battery and alternator checked out. These cars do funny things these days when the battery doesn't stay fully charged.
It's done it for as long as I can remember, nothing to do with the battery, it's just a sensitive light sensor. It's just that now with getting brighter earlier in the morning, it's having a more noticeable effect.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It's done it for as long as I can remember, nothing to do with the battery, it's just a sensitive light sensor. It's just that now with getting brighter earlier in the morning, it's having a more noticeable effect.
What's the battery voltage on the dic BEFORE starting up? After parked for a few hours.

Could be a bad sensor too.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Might want to see if there's a SW update that can be done to correct it ... I had a similar issue with mine that was improved by the update. Worse comes to worse, you can figure out a way to keep a little LED spot-lighted on the sensor for those daytime shady areas. :signlol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can temporarily turn off the automatic light control by giving the headlight switch a quick twist to the left. I have to do that when ever I drive on base so I don't blind the gate guards. A quick flick twist to the left turns it back on. It does turn off the dash lights as well, but they will come back on when the auto lights are back on.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can temporarily turn off the automatic light control by giving the headlight switch a quick twist to the left. I have to do that when ever I drive on base so I don't blind the gate guards. A quick flick twist to the left turns it back on. It does turn off the dash lights as well, but they will come back on when the auto lights are back on.
I'm in Canada, the regional programming for Canada doesn't allow for this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Darn, that does complicate things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts