Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got HIDs yesterday. I searched and read up on the ability to disable DRLs. Found the thread here and it looks like it's not possible. But, asking again in case someone has come up with something?

Alternatively, as a work around, I know the DRLs work by sending a low voltage to the headlight, which makes the HIDs kind of flicker. Does anyone know and electronics item that, say, won't less more than 12v through? I'd like to try to make a workaround and if I get it working I can share with the class.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Just turn the headlight knob towards the door to turn off DRL/Auto Lights. Of course you have to do this every time you start the car, but it would be a work around until you found a better solution.

I'm sure someone has a solution out there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The guys doing headlight relays are adding a capacitor to the circuit to prevent this. if you find the headlight harness upgrade thread it should get you the info you need.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Best way to do this permanently is to remove the spring inside the headlight switch. The switch will now remain in the off position. Now I have no drls (waste of time for hids) and I can turn the headlights on and off when I want.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Do the Putco Wire Harness upgrade. It will give you bat. voltage to sockets via a relay system.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I just covered the light sensor with plasti dip so the hids are on all the time. And I turn them off manually when I remember, you'll see then in the reflection of other cars so its easy to remember. Or leave them on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
108 Posts
DRL flicker is caused by digital switching known as PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. PWM is essentially turning the circuit on and off at a high frequency - say 1,000 cycles a second which gives the same effect of sending lower voltage, but with a digital controller.

A capacitor would work in this situation because the cap would essentially charge up, and discharge into the circuit when the PWM signal was on an "off" cycle.

Something like this should overcome the problem: Morimoto Standalone Can-Bus - Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I google'd and found how to remove the spring yesterday, but now for the life of my I can't find the thread again. I can't remember if it was on this forum or another.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone in Canada is able to turn off the lights? We nees to have DRL running in Canada, and when I try to turn the switch to the OFF position, I doesn't work. The lights stay on. The only way to turn them off is by lifting the e-brake.
Am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Why not just buy the HID harness that plugs into your hid kit and also connects to the battery so you have 12v all the time, its 15 bucks IIRC and you don't have to hack up your factory harness or any wires.. Makes it a lot easier when you want to sell it or convert it back to stock..

I have even seen people say its because they don't want their bulbs to burn out quickly.. My yellow bulbs I have in are almost 2 years old, they cost me 22 bucks to replace and are on when the car is running.. I would rather spend the 22 bucks for new bulbs and have to change them before you have to rather than hack up my factory headlight harness..

<<<--- This pic is about a month old, lights are just shy of running almost 2 years strait..

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you're Canada, DRLs are required so I would recommend going the harness route. If you're US, remove the headlight switch spring. No reason for DRL as HIDs. And its an easy fix if you want to convert back to stock (replace the entire switch - only ~$20).

The harness is really a 50/50 shot, some harnesses work, some don't.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm going to look into that harness. I'm in the US so I don't need DRLs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts