Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to easily disable the EGR on the Gen 2 diesel engines? Something simple like unplugging a connector to the EGR valve that leaves it closed?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But until you try it, you don't know if it's a CEL or a 'reduced power in 50 miles' warning.
I can wire in a switch to consistently reset it. A friend of mine has that on his Jeep Liberty CRD. It's a switch in the cabin where you leave the EGR enabled for about 30 seconds after starting the engine and the ECU apparently only checks EGR functioning right then. After that short time period you can turn the EGR off and drive the car with no CEL showing up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried doing this with my TDI. Forced the valve closed with Ross Tech software. The ECU retarded the ignition timing and made it run like ****, lost about 10 MPGs.

You would need to re-map the fuel and boost to take advantage of the extra O2 in the clean airstream.
Ignition timing? You're using terms from spark ignition engines.

Diesel engines run O2 rich at all times of operation. EGR is used to reduce O2 content to avoid NOx production. A total elimination of EGR means the same amount of fuel is being injected (if you didn't change fueling) and there should be no change in operation other than avoiding your intake being sooted up with exhaust gas.

There has to be something else going on with your TDI tuning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.