Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Disable On-Star - Prudent

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Looking for information appertaining to disabling the On-Star hardware within my 2017 Cruze; namely the GPS transceiver, as well as the 4G LTE Cell Network Transceiver.

Reviewing the manual didn't glean any diagrams. What was found through Google was for older models.

Anything helps. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers.

#2 · (Edited)
Both those are embedded in the antenna. Disabling them requires either pulling the headliner and disconnecting the antenna from the roof or pulling the front console apart and disconnecting the antenna from the radio and the On-star module. The radio is obvious. The On-Star module is behind the glove box somewhere.

Contrary to internet folklore, On-Star doesn't track vehicles where the vehicle Id isn't listed as an active account. This doesn't mean that someone else can't track it, but On-Star doesn't do so. Why consume storage space when you're not being paid to do so?

Finally, to avoid being tracked by anyone via radio waves, don't buy a vehicle newer than the early to mid-90s, depending on manufacturer.

#5 ·
This. Apple was bad but Windows was worse. Apple only showed you places you stopped for a bit or connected to WiFi. My Windows Lumia 640 burn phone literally had a full out waypoint of my entire rout to work, home, daycare, and the store.

Also if you wonder how accurate OnStar is, it's about Apple Maps when it 1st came out accurate. I had Family Link active on my car to track it when I deployed or in the shop and it was off by a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.