Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Disabling Auto Start/Stop

133413 Views 78 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  jblackburn
I don't own a 2017 Cruze yet but since I basically have no choice in which car manufacturer I am able to purchase from, it looks like I will probably be going with the Cruze. My question is regarding the Auto Start/Stop feature with this car. I have read that there is no on/off button in the vehicle. If this is true, is there anyway to trick the system into not engaging? I have read that there is a battery in the trunk that powers the accessories while the vehicle is in Auto Start/Stop. What if I decide to disconnect that battery? Will this prevent the system from engaging?
Reactions: g20raff
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is why my dad won't own a new car. The only option he likes, but is not a necessity, is cruise. He doesn't want anything to break, or have to worry about anything.

I have owned my car for 17 years now and the things that broke which I could have done without are the power windows(3 of them are broke) and the security passlock system which probably prevented me from starting my car 100's of times. The good thing with the passlock system is that when it broke it went into bypass mode so now all I have is the security light on all the time which isn't really an issue for me.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't consider being in your 30s to be older. LOL.

I would also be perfectly happy with no features: crank windows, push the little knob to lock the car and use the key to unlock, start and open the trunk, even manual steering is fine with me. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

I guess some people consider 30's still young. While talking to a few people at work some will say "Im only 28" or "Im only 31" I think to myself "Whaaattt Only" LOL.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I am personally not too concerned about it being reliable. This technology has been out for some time. Just personal preference. Glad some folks like it. My guess is someday in near future I will buy a car that has auto start stop. I am driving my ctd around a thousand miles a week, it has been fantastic so far and very happy with it.

· Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I am personally not too concerned about it being reliable. This technology has been out for some time. Just personal preference. Glad some folks like it. My guess is someday in near future I will buy a car that has auto start stop. I am driving my ctd around a thousand miles a week, it has been fantastic so far and very happy with it.
Only a thousand? Gosh, part timer. :p

· Registered
1 Posts
It's a heavily regulated industry. Manufactures need to meet certain emission and fuel economy standards. Turning off the engine when the vehicle is idling helps, making everything out of light plastic and removing insulation does, too. I'm not sure anyone wants a undersized 4-cyl turbocharged engine in their new car or suv, but again, it's all about fuel economy and emission standards. It's not like the feds are giving manufactures an option. If you want to sell new vehicles in the US and most other countries, the laws are clear.

· Registered
1 Posts
Auto Stop a bust

You are an idiot, I haven't met a single person that wants it or likes it & I've been in business for over 10 years. On top of: just the plain annoyance of it, the lack of confidence to be able to pull out when you need to AND the very noticeable starting & stopping, how about the extraordinary additional & unnecessary wear & tear on your starting system? Because you're a Chevy dealer you welcome all that extra service business and revenue. For you common folk, a dealers profits are very much more prevalent o the service side; by a long shot....

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
You are an idiot, I haven't met a single person that wants it or likes it & I've been in business for over 10 years. On top of: just the plain annoyance of it, the lack of confidence to be able to pull out when you need to AND the very noticeable starting & stopping, how about the extraordinary additional & unnecessary wear & tear on your starting system? Because you're a Chevy dealer you welcome all that extra service business and revenue. For you common folk, a dealers profits are very much more prevalent o the service side; by a long shot....
Nice to meet you. Call someone an idiot again and that's the last we'll see of you here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
34 Posts
Well I am older, I am in my 30's. I been around long enough to find out that these so called "new features" eventually break and when they do its a big inconvenience and cost alot of money to fix. I just don't like features period. If it was up to me I would still purchase a car with crank windows. I wish GM would just build something that I like. When I purchase my next GM vehicle which will probably be in the next few weeks I am sure the salesman is going to ask what I like about the car and I am going to be honest with him and tell him that "I like nothing, absolutely nothing".
Hey, that sounds like my mom's 2016 Chevy Spark LS. Crank windows, no cruise, no remote unlock. I think the dealer was asking 11,500 brand new.

· Registered
34 Posts
Exactly. I do see a purpose with remote start and remote lock and unlock. But I could live without those items.
I still have not found an answer as to why we need a push button start. I have asked numerous people at work and friends and the only conclusion I can come to is when it breaks it costs more money.
I like being able to leave my key in my pocket, walk up the the door and press a button on the door handle (or grab the handle in our Chrysler 2016 town and country) and have the door unlock, get in and put my foot the brake and press the start button.

Its not a necessity for me, but I prefer it to having to pull the key out and stick it in the ignition. There was the issue Chevy had in the Cobalts with the key turning out of run when it was loaded with a heavy set of objects on the key ring too...

· Registered
34 Posts
Don't really want to do this everytime I come to a stop. Just want to be able to drive a car normally.
You don't have to do it every time you come to a stop. Just when you put it down into drive. Instead of putting it in drive you put it in L and press the + on the top of the gear selector until it say 6 in the dashboard and drive as normal.

I think it also won't do it if you have the AC set to max (orange instead of green (eco) LED).

My auto-start/stop hasn't been working this week. It hasn't shut off once. Battery might be low from sitting for several days. Not sure.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
You don't have to do it every time you come to a stop. Just when you put it down into drive. Instead of putting it in drive you put it in L and press the + on the top of the gear selector until it say 6 in the dashboard and drive as normal.

I think it also won't do it if you have the AC set to max (orange instead of green (eco) LED).

My auto-start/stop hasn't been working this week. It hasn't shut off once. Battery might be low from sitting for several days. Not sure.
Still cuts off with ac on max, but less frequently and for less time than Eco

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
I like being able to leave my key in my pocket, walk up the the door and press a button on the door handle (or grab the handle in our Chrysler 2016 town and country) and have the door unlock, get in and put my foot the brake and press the start button.

Its not a necessity for me, but I prefer it to having to pull the key out and stick it in the ignition. There was the issue Chevy had in the Cobalts with the key turning out of run when it was loaded with a heavy set of objects on the key ring too...
It sure as **** is nicer. The Volt has passive entry and push-button start, while our other cars have to use the remote (or in the case of the Camaro - the key itself), and it's much more convenient.

Also, on the case of complexity, the push-button ignition modules are far easier (due to their more compact size of not needing an entire key cylinder) to package, cheaper, and safer (can't have someone with 400,000 things on their key fob, hanging off the cylinder). In the next couple years, it's almost a guarantee all cars will have them.

Reactions: Iamantman

· Registered
51 Posts
It is not really that bad, I have a 2017 LT it does take some time to get use to it and it is not that bad. Using AC will not make it turn off as often, but like others have said if you let off the brake after it shuts off it will stay on for a little bit. The one thing that I still find funny is when stopping then putting the car to park, car turns back on again just to turn off.

· Registered
25 Posts
My rant... Auto Start/Stop, why do I hate thee? Two reasons :

1. The way it is implemented is quite irritating. Come to a 2-second stop at a stop sign, the engine stops and immediately restarts. Pull into my driveway and the engine stops and then immediately restarts when I shift into park, only to immediately turn off again when I turn the key off. Truly idiotic. If it would only engage after the car has come to a complete stop for 2-3 seconds it wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying. Whichever designers (and managers) decided to make the engine stop the second the car comes to halt should all be fired.

2. Okay, let's assume auto start/stop DOESN'T annoy you as it does me. Then it's a win/win, right? I don't think so. I've heard its use gains you perhaps an extra 2 mpg or so in typical driving. (Has anyone tested a month of driving with it on, versus a month of being disabled, so we have some real world numbers on a Cruze?). Okay, so say that gas is $2.50 a gallon on average and you drive 10,000 miles a year. My 2017 Cruze LS Auto has overall averaged 36 mpg with auto start/stop disabled maybe 80-90% of the time (driving in L6). That means mostly without auto start/stop, I'll use 278 gallons in a year at a cost of $694. If I left auto start/stop on all the time and gained 2 mpg, I'd save about 15 gallons of gas, or $36. Okay, in theory, why wouldn't I want to save $36 a year? Well sure I would. But at what cost? How much does that extra battery pack in the trunk cost? How much for the other associated electronics? And a more heavy duty starter? And isn't there something different internally in the engine - different crankshaft design or pumps or something like that? Does anyone in the group have an estimate to how much auto start/stop in Gen2 Cruze's has raised the price of the car? I know a 2017 base model was about $2000 more than the early 2016 base model was. Yes, it's not just auto start/stop. We also gained color touch-screens, and backup cameras, which are both nice. But I'd wager that auto start/stop did contribute to at least a $500 cost increase. Meaning if I keep the car 6 years before trading it in, I'll have paid $500 in order to save $216 in gas. Even if you double the estimated extra 2 mpg to 4 mpg, it'd still take 7-8 years to break even on costs. And I'd be willing to bet that by the time these cars get to be 7-8 years old, on many of them you'll have to be replacing that trunk battery, or the starter. In short, the system costs you more than it will save you over time.

Dear GM (and other car manufacturers) : please do away with this idiotic system, or at least make it an option on your cars so that if we don't want it we don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it!

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
It's dirt cheap to implement - not even remotely expensive.

If the cost to benefit ratio wasn't favorable, trust me, it would not be in there.

· Registered
25 Posts
I'll be totally honest with the Cruze owners on here. I have basically one of everything. I have a 1967 Cadillac Convertible (original family owned), gets maybe 10 mpg. Aircraft carrier that floats like a butterfly and can carry 3 in front seat, 3 in back and 3 bodies in trunk (4 if you amputate some limbs). I have a 2012 Suburban Z71 that gets if I'm lucky 13-15 mpg. I have my real baby, 2014 Dodge Challenger RT Plus 5.7 HEMI that gets 18-20 mpg (gets stomped on regularly) and now I own a 2016 Cruze Premier to go to/from work. It has 6700 miles in one year and I seem to average 26-29 mpg. I hardly notice the auto/stop other than during the summer, you feel the AC drop a notch. The OnStar site that keeps track of maintenance showed that the auto/stop feature cuts off on average 45-60 minutes a month. I didn't buy this car for speed or HP. Its just a nice comfy ride for work. I read some guys doing tunes for performance. I only spend that kind of money on my Challenger. I'm an old school muscle and classic car guy who has a truck for family trips and now my conservative ride is a Cruze. I'll sing a different tune if I have problems with starters in the future. As for one year completed of ownership.......I give the car 4 out of 5 stars. I did just notice that the car doesn't have a low washer fluid light......that was kind of cheap on Chevy's part. AND I am not a fan of the hood release handle.

· Registered
50 Posts
Haven't had mine a good month and am about to trade it in , #1 reason is the auto stop , was told you won't even notice it , bs, that's all I notice! Quite irritating when trying to drive as much stop and go ad I do.
I just went out to my car, started it up. Put it in L and pressed the + button 5 times. Took me about 10 seconds. If it annoys you that bad then by all means trade the blasted thing in! Otherwise change your driving habits and quit trying to creep every time you can move forward 3 inches. Also there is a cool down period where you have to exceed a certain speed, time and then stop again before it activates again. But thanks for making the account, visiting the site just so you can post your complaint LOL. Have a nice day!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts