Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Disabling Auto Start/Stop

133410 Views 78 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  jblackburn
I don't own a 2017 Cruze yet but since I basically have no choice in which car manufacturer I am able to purchase from, it looks like I will probably be going with the Cruze. My question is regarding the Auto Start/Stop feature with this car. I have read that there is no on/off button in the vehicle. If this is true, is there anyway to trick the system into not engaging? I have read that there is a battery in the trunk that powers the accessories while the vehicle is in Auto Start/Stop. What if I decide to disconnect that battery? Will this prevent the system from engaging?
Reactions: g20raff
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Haven't had mine a good month and am about to trade it in , #1 reason is the auto stop , was told you won't even notice it , bs, that's all I notice! Quite irritating when trying to drive as much stop and go ad I do.
I just went out to my car, started it up. Put it in L and pressed the + button 5 times. Took me about 10 seconds. If it annoys you that bad then by all means trade the blasted thing in! Otherwise change your driving habits and quit trying to creep every time you can move forward 3 inches. Also there is a cool down period where you have to exceed a certain speed, time and then stop again before it activates again. But thanks for making the account, visiting the site just so you can post your complaint LOL. Have a nice day!
Dose that low and 5+ really work? Just wondering as I'm in the bay are and you drive 40 feet and stop for a min on the highway on a 15 mile stretch that takes 1.5 hours lol. Dosnt bother me at all except when I'm on the freeway and my A.C. goes high low high low lol

· Registered
683 Posts
Dose that low and 5+ really work? Just wondering as I'm in the bay are and you drive 40 feet and stop for a min on the highway on a 15 mile stretch that takes 1.5 hours lol. Dosnt bother me at all except when I'm on the freeway and my A.C. goes high low high low lol

It does work. But, if you are in stop and go traffic, the car shouldn't turn off that much, if at all. I don't have much traffic where I live, but when I'm in stop and go traffic, my car does not shut off

· Registered
51 Posts
Figured out a work around, think it is safe to do. I was parking my car and still in drive and engine turned off and for some reason I hit the button to turn off the car without shifting into park and got an alert to shift into park. Thinking I might do this now turning the car off in drive so the engine does not crank up an then put it in park.

It is not really that bad, I have a 2017 LT it does take some time to get use to it and it is not that bad. Using AC will not make it turn off as often, but like others have said if you let off the brake after it shuts off it will stay on for a little bit. The one thing that I still find funny is when stopping then putting the car to park, car turns back on again just to turn off.

· Registered
25 Posts
>It's dirt cheap to implement - not even remotely expensive.

While cleaning out the beach stuff in my trunk yesterday, I decided to peek inside the trunk compartment. That 2nd battery in there is JUST for auto start/stop, right? It's in *addition* to the regular battery found under the hood. The price for a replacement battery of that type (which isn't a 'typical' car battery) was in the $220-$240 range. Assuming it'll need to be replaced every, say, 5-6 years like a regular car battery, that means that auto start/stop is going to cost you $200+ in 'maintenance' costs after 5 years. Again, if it's only saving the typical driver $30? $40? $50? a year in gas, it sounds like a money losing proposition to me.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
Uhh, no - that's the only car battery. So it will be replaced when it normally would be replaced. No extra cost.

Reactions: Iamantman

· Premium Member
66 Posts

It does work. But, if you are in stop and go traffic, the car shouldn't turn off that much, if at all. I don't have much traffic where I live, but when I'm in stop and go traffic, my car does not shut off
So this is the most amazing thing that I have learned on the site my only question is does it affect the performance at all instead of having it in regular Drive

· Registered
251 Posts
Figured out a work around, think it is safe to do. I was parking my car and still in drive and engine turned off and for some reason I hit the button to turn off the car without shifting into park and got an alert to shift into park. Thinking I might do this now turning the car off in drive so the engine does not crank up an then put it in park.
My rant... Auto Start/Stop, why do I hate thee? Two reasons :

1. The way it is implemented is quite irritating. Come to a 2-second stop at a stop sign, the engine stops and immediately restarts. Pull into my driveway and the engine stops and then immediately restarts when I shift into park, only to immediately turn off again when I turn the key off. Truly idiotic. If it would only engage after the car has come to a complete stop for 2-3 seconds it wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying. Whichever designers (and managers) decided to make the engine stop the second the car comes to halt should all be fired.

2. Okay, let's assume auto start/stop DOESN'T annoy you as it does me. Then it's a win/win, right? I don't think so. I've heard its use gains you perhaps an extra 2 mpg or so in typical driving. (Has anyone tested a month of driving with it on, versus a month of being disabled, so we have some real world numbers on a Cruze?). Okay, so say that gas is $2.50 a gallon on average and you drive 10,000 miles a year. My 2017 Cruze LS Auto has overall averaged 36 mpg with auto start/stop disabled maybe 80-90% of the time (driving in L6). That means mostly without auto start/stop, I'll use 278 gallons in a year at a cost of $694. If I left auto start/stop on all the time and gained 2 mpg, I'd save about 15 gallons of gas, or $36. Okay, in theory, why wouldn't I want to save $36 a year? Well sure I would. But at what cost? How much does that extra battery pack in the trunk cost? How much for the other associated electronics? And a more heavy duty starter? And isn't there something different internally in the engine - different crankshaft design or pumps or something like that? Does anyone in the group have an estimate to how much auto start/stop in Gen2 Cruze's has raised the price of the car? I know a 2017 base model was about $2000 more than the early 2016 base model was. Yes, it's not just auto start/stop. We also gained color touch-screens, and backup cameras, which are both nice. But I'd wager that auto start/stop did contribute to at least a $500 cost increase. Meaning if I keep the car 6 years before trading it in, I'll have paid $500 in order to save $216 in gas. Even if you double the estimated extra 2 mpg to 4 mpg, it'd still take 7-8 years to break even on costs. And I'd be willing to bet that by the time these cars get to be 7-8 years old, on many of them you'll have to be replacing that trunk battery, or the starter. In short, the system costs you more than it will save you over time.

Dear GM (and other car manufacturers) : please do away with this idiotic system, or at least make it an option on your cars so that if we don't want it we don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it!
NEVER liked it in my wife's 2016 Pilot. I always manually turned that POS feature off whenever I got in it to drive. Another trick is to let up off the brake just slightly to get/keep the engine turning, at least on her Pilot that worked.

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
BNR Tuned. I dont miss Auto Stop.

· Premium Member
1,207 Posts
BNR Tuned. I dont miss Auto Stop.
When I'm ready for a tune, I think I'll ask Jerry for a 3 second delay on Auto Stop.
That's long enough for me to get through a stop sign with no cross traffic, or to put it in park when I get to my destination.

I want to reduce the frequency of Auto Stops that last less than ten seconds, and I want to eliminate the Stop-Restart-Stop routine when I park.

· Registered
4,038 Posts
You guys are over exagerating on the parking your car thing.

The car takes a full second before shutting off. It don't take me that long to park and flip to park. The engine NEVER shuts down on me and restarts. I stop the car. Flip lever to park. And hit the button to shut off. Same procedure I've always done for 35 years driving. I've never stopped and waited more then a second to park the trans.

This whole auto/stop thing is the future. It's here to stay. And eventually, there won't be a starter motor anymore. That's the whole purpose of the direct injection system we have now. It's going to be your new starting system.

Ford was talking about starterless motors 20 years ago. I don't know why it hasn't come out yet.

The new ford trucks. Have no way to shut the feature off. Unless you got a trailer light plug plugged into the plug installed in the rear bumper. You can buy em for $9 at walmart. Apparently Ford don't feel the need for autostop if a trailer is hooked up.

· Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend was in a wreck recently and the insurance company gave us a 2016 Chevy Cruze rental car. It has only 15,000 miles on it. The auto start is a real crappy way to get "better gas milage". I am a A.S.E. master tech and I also am a expert for 6ya. I can all ready see the strain on the battery in this car. When the engine shuts off at a light the fan slows in speed quite noticably. The transmission also shutters if you try to take off from a light if the pedal is not pushed like your a grandma going to the grocery store. I am sure this is very hard on the starter. A car may use the starter a few times a day. With this car it can be used as many as 100 times if in stop and go traffic. And the battery on this almost new car is almost done for. So for those who would argue this is a good system, wait till the repair bills come in. I own a shop and these cars are gonna be my bread and butter within the next two years. Just like when GM tried to force dex-cool on everyone causing them to loose a major lawsuit. I still do lots of lower intake manifold due to that genius idea. Just because something can be done does not always mean it should. It's like having all these unnecessary computers. Just more things to go wrong that are very costly.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
My girlfriend was in a wreck recently and the insurance company gave us a 2016 Chevy Cruze rental car. It has only 15,000 miles on it. The auto start is a real crappy way to get "better gas milage". I am a A.S.E. master tech and I also am a expert for 6ya. I can all ready see the strain on the battery in this car. When the engine shuts off at a light the fan slows in speed quite noticably. The transmission also shutters if you try to take off from a light if the pedal is not pushed like your a grandma going to the grocery store. I am sure this is very hard on the starter. A car may use the starter a few times a day. With this car it can be used as many as 100 times if in stop and go traffic. And the battery on this almost new car is almost done for. So for those who would argue this is a good system, wait till the repair bills come in. I own a shop and these cars are gonna be my bread and butter within the next two years. Just like when GM tried to force dex-cool on everyone causing them to loose a major lawsuit. I still do lots of lower intake manifold due to that genius idea. Just because something can be done does not always mean it should. It's like having all these unnecessary computers. Just more things to go wrong that are very costly.
Hybrids like the Escape, Camry, and Prius have been doing it for years. Malibu's have been doing it for years. They didn't require starter replacement every 2 years - in fact, many made it through their useful lifespans with no starter replacement at all.

We'll see. An AGM battery, as required by start/stop systems, handles heavy load cycling much better than a normal run of the mill lead acid car battery. Additionally, the Cruze system uses a capacitor to restart the motor when you move off.

Dexcool has been used in GM products ever since originally introduced. Since its reformulation years ago, issues with it don't really happen unless it's been neglected for way past the already extended maintenance interval.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
Auto stop/start in Park

I am looking at a 2017 Cruze now I am in Canada and sometimes whats in US cars is not in Canadian cars however at this point I will assume the stop/start is in Canadian cars as well (waiting to hear from the dealer) that said I understand the start/stop in traffic, what I don't get is how it works, or does not work in park. I live in Canada eh, there has been times this winter at -25c that I have had to start my ford and let it run for 20 minutes just to get it warm enough to get the doors unfrozen and get in. let alone it be warm enough to want to get in. And what about picking up the kids at school its -20c does it run the fans on battery power until the battery is so low it turns the engine back on to charge it up and reheat the engine so you have heat? I get the stop /start while in drive but what about in park? At this point put aside the environmental stuff.

Thanks
Bill

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
As mentioned multiple times in this thread, it won't turn the car off below 40 degrees F.

· Registered
3 Posts
The minority is absolutely the people that hate it. I sell cars every day and I've never had a customer say that they hated the auto stop feature. Frankly, I've had people near the end of a test drive ask what the auto-stop thing on the tach means, and then I get the joy of telling them that the vehicle actually turned off multiple times while driving.

I hadn't seen so many people hating on it until this forum.
I can tell you that I work in the service department of a Chevrolet dealer and I hear a lot of people complain about it...One hated it so much they bought a used car that didn't have it..

· Registered
3 Posts
I am looking at a 2017 Cruze now I am in Canada and sometimes whats in US cars is not in Canadian cars however at this point I will assume the stop/start is in Canadian cars as well (waiting to hear from the dealer) that said I understand the start/stop in traffic, what I don't get is how it works, or does not work in park. I live in Canada eh, there has been times this winter at -25c that I have had to start my ford and let it run for 20 minutes just to get it warm enough to get the doors unfrozen and get in. let alone it be warm enough to want to get in. And what about picking up the kids at school its -20c does it run the fans on battery power until the battery is so low it turns the engine back on to charge it up and reheat the engine so you have heat? I get the stop /start while in drive but what about in park? At this point put aside the environmental stuff.

Thanks
Bill

It only works in Drive after you have gotten over a certain speed, once you shift into Park it will start the car an remain running until you turn it off or start driving again, and hit the magic speed. When the auto stop kicks in it only stays off until the brake is released (or you put it into another gear) and it will only be active for a set time, after so long it will restart as well. Supposed to help with fuel economy, but in reality it is more than likely a "check box" for the environmentally friendly people....

· Registered
1 Posts
I sell cars to 18 year olds and I sell cars to 93 year olds. I'm telling you that you're in the minority.

But boy would I sure love to see the guys face when you tell him that. [emoji23]
Just joined this forum and here you are, the first loser that feels he needs to tell everyone who hates auto/stop start that they are a minority and put a crying emoji symbol. Ridiculous! People should have the option, period. I hate this feature as well and will never own another car with it. The fact that GM left us without a choice to properly disable it is the same liberal mentality of " I know whats better for you and your family than you do" mentality. You do not seem to mind that but people deserve a choice.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts