Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Disabling Auto Start/Stop

133414 Views 78 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  jblackburn
I don't own a 2017 Cruze yet but since I basically have no choice in which car manufacturer I am able to purchase from, it looks like I will probably be going with the Cruze. My question is regarding the Auto Start/Stop feature with this car. I have read that there is no on/off button in the vehicle. If this is true, is there anyway to trick the system into not engaging? I have read that there is a battery in the trunk that powers the accessories while the vehicle is in Auto Start/Stop. What if I decide to disconnect that battery? Will this prevent the system from engaging?
Reactions: g20raff
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

· Registered
4,038 Posts
Just joined this forum and here you are, the first loser that feels he needs to tell everyone who hates auto/stop start that they are a minority and put a crying emoji symbol. Ridiculous! People should have the option, period. I hate this feature as well and will never own another car with it. The fact that GM left us without a choice to properly disable it is the same liberal mentality of " I know whats better for you and your family than you do" mentality. You do not seem to mind that but people deserve a choice.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think there's many cars left without the feature. And newer cruzes have the option to disable now.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
Just joined this forum and here you are, the first loser that feels he needs to tell everyone who hates auto/stop start that they are a minority and put a crying emoji symbol. Ridiculous! People should have the option, period. I hate this feature as well and will never own another car with it. The fact that GM left us without a choice to properly disable it is the same liberal mentality of " I know whats better for you and your family than you do" mentality. You do not seem to mind that but people deserve a choice.
Nice first post. If you'd like to make more, I'd suggest checking the attitude.

· Registered
137 Posts
Wow, just read through most of the posts in this thread. The AS/S System really gets people going. Lovers & Haters yikes! As for me, I’m a happy owner of a 2017 LT who installed the AS/S Smart Module which shuts the system off. I reviewed the module on another thread and gave it 4 out of 5 stars. It has been a real pleasure driving the past several months. No shifting to L6, no easing up on the break pedal, no shifting to N then back to D just B4 stopping, no having the engine stop then start back up when shifting to park. Just get in, start the car, shift to D, and drive away. When I first test drove the car before buying I didn’t really notice or feel the “clunkiness” of the System. After owning for a few weeks, however it became obvious “to me” that the system “IS VERY NOTICEABLE”. I had the dealer check the system at my second free oil change (for jerkiness and clunkiness) and was told that’s normal and the System is fine. “REALLY”

SO IMHO:
If you like the System keep it and continue to enjoy the car.
If you don’t like it - use L6 or light break pedal.
If you truly dislike or hate the system spend $140 and get the module. (It’s easy to install)

That’s just my 2 cents

· Registered
2 Posts
In regards to Start/Stop.I just bought a 19 hatchback LS with convenience package.It has a button on the console to dis-able start stop, but you have to push the button at every start up.When I forget to push the button I can really tell ss is on. I am glad I can dis-able it , would probably be sending it to Carmax otherwise.It is annoying.

17,879 Posts
I don't mind the auto stop what I hate is the fach that after 20second without getting the foot off the pedale the motor restart.
Is that the max delay, is there a way to ajust?
It will stay off up to 2 minutes with AC off. Putting it in econ mode (green light) delays the restart a little longer.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 hatchback. I just got it. The first time I came to a stop it went in auto stop and when I started to accelerate it had to restart. I thought my car was already broken. I love my car but auto stop is very annoying.
Have you ever driven a car with auto stop technology? Unless you're specifically looking for it, you won't even notice it.

· Registered
821 Posts
I have a 2017 hatchback. I just got it. The first time I came to a stop it went in auto stop and when I started to accelerate it had to restart. I thought my car was already broken. I love my car but auto stop is very annoying.
I also have a '17 hatch and it annoyed me fore the first month or so. Then I got used to it and barely notice it now.

· Registered
5 Posts
Ok, just bought a 2017 cruze yesterday. Gotta say, the auto stop feature really sucks. To those who say you dont even notice it, your crazy. When its 100 degrees outside and your cars stops guess what else stops. Your ac. Twice now i have come to a stop light that turned green just as the auto stop feature engaged. I can see this causing accidents for sure. I have tried putting in l6 and the transmission shifts differently than just in drive. Car is great other than that. There is a small parts of me that kind of hopes the financing falls through. Haha.

· Registered
1 Posts
Have you ever driven a car with auto stop technology? Unless you're specifically looking for it, you won't even notice it.
Or anyone that has ever driven manual notices the very first time. In fact, I noticed at the first read light ever in this car. I've driven Honda, other Chevy's, and an older model cruze, and Toyotas. This is first time I've driven or owned one that has this technology and depending on where you live, it can cost you money. Its an average of 0.25 cents EACH engine start, where as most stop lights here in Maine you only stop maybe once for less than a minute per 100 miles of travel and these stops only cost an average of $0.05. The point when this system is actually more efficent is 5 miles, 12 stops each about 30 seconds and above. However, if its less, even only 11 stops, then your actually wasting money. This system is great for those of you who deal with daily traffic jam on your commutes without the common sense of just turning the whole car off, even on the interstate (many people still do it this way), but for those of us living in the country and traffic jam is 5 cars moving at 35mph, and only see a real traffic jam MAYBE once every 10 years, its a huge waste of resources for us. Sorry, but us country people expect to travel 50-200 miles a day for work commute and it only takes us 1-3hours (this is both going to work and coming home from work). If it was only 5 miles away, we walk because its too expensive to drive, car pool, or well using any form of transportation except by foot, or powered by foot like a bicycle.

17,879 Posts
Whenever i’m at a stop light on a hill and the auto stop is activated, the car rolls back when i take my foot off the brake until the engine restarts. when the auto stop isn’t activated it doesn’t do that. i’ve almost hit someone because of this so i’d just rather have it off completely.
Did you disable hill hold assist?

17,879 Posts
i didn’t even know that was a thing lol how can i turn it on?
I honestly don't know. Vehicle settings in the radio maybe? It should be enabled by default.

We have tons of hills around here, and you can feel it hold the brakes on a moderate hill as you hit the gas until the car starts moving forwards. Even during a restart.

Every now and then it won't do it on a slight hill, but I've rarely felt it roll back.

The only related complaint that I have is that auto-start re-engagement is VERY clumsy feeling if you're stopped with the nose pointed downhill, though. It'll thump back into gear hard as the car is already rolling a bit.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts