Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 LT 1.4 turbo with AT. It has 24000km or 16000 miles but only gets 10L/100km or 23mpg.rating on trip computer... Strictly city driven.. I fear this vehicle is already broken in, can i expect better milage?:angry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Generally short trips less than 30km.... display says avg. speed of 52kph... I have been trying to hyper-drive for the economy, shifting at the earliest possible moment.. tires r inflated to 35psi. as manufacture recommends... I don't mash it but accelerate reasonably..{ cruise is peppy wants to run away but i tame it with the transm. keeping rpms below 1800}....starting in 2nd., rpms tend to go up to 3000 before tranny will shift even in manual assist....shifts easily into rest of gears at about 1750 rpm ,,,in 6th before 60kph. Had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 4spd. A.T. WITH 295000 KM ON IT BEFORE THIS AND IT AVG. 23MPG.... WHERE IS THE IMPROVEMENT?

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Generally short trips less than 30km.... display says avg. speed of 52kph... I have been trying to hyper-drive for the economy, shifting at the earliest possible moment.. tires r inflated to 35psi. as manufacture recommends... I don't mash it but accelerate reasonably..{ cruise is peppy wants to run away but i tame it with the transm. keeping rpms below 1800}....starting in 2nd., rpms tend to go up to 3000 before tranny will shift even in manual assist....shifts easily into rest of gears at about 1750 rpm ,,,in 6th before 60kph
How short are we talking here? Very short trips will not allow the car to warm up to optimal temperatures and your fuel economy will suffer.

All of this doesn't really point to a reason why you'd get that gas mileage. I'd expect close to 30. Whereabouts are you located? What kind of fuel are you using.

Where is the improvement? In the fact that you're getting the same fuel economy while carrying a much heavier car with great leaps of improvements in safety measures all around, and getting more power to boot.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
23 MPG is normal for city driving in a 2011 Automatic. It is about what you should be getting. The only thing I can recommend for that is to use the manual mode for more efficient shifts, or consider purchasing the trifecta tune. The lower your RPMs in the city, the better the mileage. But don't expect 30 MPG out of mostly city driving, it just won't happen. I can get about 25-26 MPG in the city at the most. The car is only rated for 24 MPG in the city...

·
Registered
703 Posts
And gods help you if you drive a street with stoplights every 50 meters and none of them are timed.

Reactions: iKermit

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have 18000 miles on my 2011 ls 1.8, milage has increased from 29 to 30 all winter to 34.3 the last 2 weeks now with warmer weather and no warming engine up for 10 min. I had a 1500 mile trip car loaded last summer got 35mpg

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I average 51 mpg all highway miles with my 2012 cruze eco 1.4 mt with 20k miles on it.
LOL. Way to rub it in. :p

Biggs, keep in mind ^ this guy also has the Eco manual transmission as well as the 1.4 Turbo motor.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 LT 1.4 turbo with AT. It has 24000km or 16000 miles but only gets 10L/100km or 23mpg.rating on trip computer... Strictly city driven.. I fear this vehicle is already broken in, can i expect better milage?:angry:
23 MPG is normal for city driving in a 2011 Automatic. It is about what you should be getting. The only thing I can recommend for that is to use the manual mode for more efficient shifts, or consider purchasing the trifecta tune. The lower your RPMs in the city, the better the mileage. But don't expect 30 MPG out of mostly city driving, it just won't happen. I can get about 25-26 MPG in the city at the most. The car is only rated for 24 MPG in the city...
Yep per Compare Side-by-Side (or Compare Cars Side-by-Side), the EPA city rating on the '11 automatic Cruze 1.4T is 24 mpg.

One can read more about the EPA tests at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html.

If one wants to get great city mileage, one should go for a vehicle at or near the top of The most fuel-efficient cars.

For comparison from http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...mileage-i-just-failed-hit-20-a.html#post55928
As I've posted on a bunch of other threads here before...

FWIW, this is what Consumer Reports got w/the Cruze on their tests.
2011 LS sedan, 1.8-liter Four, 6-speed automatic: 17 city/36 highway, 26 overall, 34 for 150-mile trip
2011 1LT sedan, 1.4-liter Four turbo, 6-speed automatic: 17 city/36 highway, 26 overall, 35 for 150-mile trip

They have a pretty harsh city regimen (see last page of http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf). It's unclear if the full 16 minute run is done all at once or if there's a long engine cooldown period between each run.
Perhaps the OP or someone here take ownership of what I suggest at:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...fuel-economy-complainers-required-answer.html.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:eusa_clap::):)Wow mileage is better than expected 8.5 city actually getting 8.2l/100km and transmission is behaving better the more I... drive. Must say I am very happy with my CHEVY !! :>) :goodjob:

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
LOL. Way to rub it in. :p

Biggs, keep in mind ^ this guy also has the Eco manual transmission as well as the 1.4 Turbo motor.
Since the temp has been up and the AC on my LS is sitting around 24 MPG(usually about 27MPG) for City. I have the 6 M and 18000 miles on my car. This is the lowest it has ever been but I have been doing the daily "slot car race" to work which requires driving(or avoiding) the parking lot called I-75 in Cincinnati and then "racing" on the streets because everyone is avoiding the "parking lot". It will go up again when I do some highway driving but I pay attention also to the instant MPG also sometimes. Honestly the instant MPG is a "cruel hoax" by GM to either drive you nuts or say look what I am getting!!! Buck up it will all average out!
I know I sometimes think: Time to go to the "dark side" and trade in for an ECO and get 5000 MPG LOL . but is it worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Generally short trips less than 30km.... display says avg. speed of 52kph... I have been trying to hyper-drive for the economy, shifting at the earliest possible moment.. tires r inflated to 35psi. as manufacture recommends... I don't mash it but accelerate reasonably..{ cruise is peppy wants to run away but i tame it with the transm. keeping rpms below 1800}....starting in 2nd., rpms tend to go up to 3000 before tranny will shift even in manual assist....shifts easily into rest of gears at about 1750 rpm ,,,in 6th before 60kph. Had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 4spd. A.T. WITH 295000 KM ON IT BEFORE THIS AND IT AVG. 23MPG.... WHERE IS THE IMPROVEMENT?
I hear your man, I've been averaging 23/24mpg on my '12 LTZ; with 50/50 city/highway driving.

Although, I just finished reading the sticky on improving gas mileage; so I hope to improve that.

BTW... Are you sure that the recommended tire inflation is 35psi? I thought I remembered reading in the owners manual that it was 30psi all around; or is it just different for the different size wheels?? IDK... The fact that no one has challenges you on that statement is making me second guess myself.... Going to go take a second look at that manual.

Chris E.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I hear your man, I've been averaging 23/24mpg on my '12 LTZ; with 50/50 city/highway driving.

Although, I just finished reading the sticky on improving gas mileage; so I hope to improve that.

BTW... Are you sure that the recommended tire inflation is 35psi? I thought I remembered reading in the owners manual that it was 30psi all around; or is it just different for the different size wheels?? IDK... The fact that no one has challenges you on that statement is making me second guess myself.... Going to go take a second look at that manual.

Chris E.
The Cruze Eco tire recommendation is 35psi. I run them at 50psi as they're rated for 51psi (cold). I started at that pressure at 1500 miles, and now have nearly 6,000 miles. Tires are wearing perfectly evenly. Actually, to be fair, there's no sign of wear at all.

To the OP: check your spark plug gap.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts

Chris E.
The LTZ tires are rated at 30 psi because they are low profile. Sidwall max is 44 psi cold. I run 38-40 psi in mine cold. They get around 42-43 psi in 80 degree weather warmed up.

Advice: Make sure you don't accelerate too quickly and spool up the turbo. Use cruise control on the highway. Try not to drive faster than 65 mph for extended periods of time. If you can use manual mode, you can upshift faster than stock. I have the trifecta tune you may want to look at that as well because it upshifts into the higher gears even quicker than the stock learning transmission will. I average a good 26+ MPG in the city, and roughly 38-40 MPG on the highway at 65 mph and I am a 2011 LTZ

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Advice: Make sure you don't accelerate too quickly and spool up the turbo.
This is not exactly true, getting up to speed quickly gets better gas mileage than slowly accelerating. Reset your Average MPG readout & test it out, granny drive your car & take 30seconds with the engine under load up to 35-40mph vs 5seconds in more spirited driving.

Pretty easy math which one is better: with spirited driving you get 25seconds at 40mpg+ & 5seconds accelerating at 3mpg, or 30 seconds of granny driving at 10mpg.

Accelerating quickly does not mean leaving the car in auto mode & letting the trans take the motor to redline. I take 1&2gear to 3,000-4,000RPM at most, 3-5gear about 2500-3000rpm. I never touch 6th gear in town(only above 50mph).

Also remember just because your RPMs are higher does not mean a lower gear will get you worse MPG. Try bumping your car into manual mode in town at 25-35mph & using the next lower gear than the one automatic mode put you in. This way you can left off the gas even more, but also have more power available readily if you need to floor it. Quite often This lower gear lighter foot method will double the instant mpg readout. 30mph using this method the instant readout is usually 40-60mpg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is not exactly true, getting up to speed quickly gets better gas mileage than slowly accelerating. Reset your Average MPG readout & test it out, granny drive your car & take 30seconds with the engine under load up to 35-40mph vs 5seconds in more spirited driving.

Pretty easy math which one is better: with spirited driving you get 25seconds at 40mpg+ & 5seconds accelerating at 3mpg, or 30 seconds of granny driving at 10mpg.

Accelerating quickly does not mean leaving the car in auto mode & letting the trans take the motor to redline. I take 1&2gear to 3,000-4,000RPM at most, 3-5gear about 2500-3000rpm. I never touch 6th gear in town(only above 50mph).

Also remember just because your RPMs are higher does not mean a lower gear will get you worse MPG. Try bumping your car into manual mode in town at 25-35mph & using the next lower gear than the one automatic mode put you in. This way you can left off the gas even more, but also have more power available readily if you need to floor it. Quite often This lower gear lighter foot method will double the instant mpg readout. 30mph using this method the instant readout is usually 40-60mpg.
If you are in town and there are lots of stops and or stop lights accelerating slowly will get you better fuel economy.....
If you have an open drive with minimal stops accelerating to speed faster can get you better mileage as long as you aren't mashing the pedal to the medal......

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
That would be true IF the Cruze didn't get peak torque at just 1850 RPMs. It is just a fact that the best MPG is at a lower RPMs.. the highest gear, lower RPMs. You want to be in overdrive as much as possible. For my 2011 Automatic, 5th gear is possible at 24 mph, 6th gear by 33 mph. My MPG has been the best like that. It is more fuel efficient in suburban 40 mph stretches (DIC approaches 50 MPG) than it is on the highway at 60-65 mph. It is just facts. Keep the RPM low! The cases you are describing are open back roads where you want to get to 50-60 mph ASAP and have room to run, or in the case you are lugging the engine in a lower gear going up a hill. In all other scenarios, the slower the better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts