Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

What brightness is your display set to ?

• Maximum Brightness

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Minimum Brightness

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Somewhere Inbetween

Votes: 11 36.7%

Display Brightness Poll

7152 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Qball
I created this thread for the purpose of asking other cruze drivers at what brightness do you have the display set to during those dark hours of driving ? There arent really any defined settings but where do you keep your brightness ? bright,dim or inbetween ?

I personally have always kept the display brightness to an absolute minimum. I prefer to keep the interrior as dark as possible.....it allows me to see out the windows better with less glare and light reflecting back at me.
Reactions: GeneralJames
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts
CruzeEcoBlueTopaz,

Generally as dim as possible for all the reasons you stated in your opening post.

A Saab 99 EMS I used to own years ago when I lived in Minnesota had a full stealth mode which I loved. Great innovative left-of-center automobiles which sadly GM purchased, mismanaged and destroyed.

When I used to do lots of night flying ferrying airplanes for a dealer out of South Africa, I always set the cockpit lighting to as dim a red as usable to preserve my night vision. Full stealth mode in an aircraft on a pitch black night is an interesting challenge which I enjoyed immeasurably. Not everyone would see the fun, so YMMV.

Back now to the Cruze's interior lighting: it annoys me to no end that the daytime display brightness is not controllable and really chafes my butt that I can have the instrument panel lights set to fully dimmed yet the radio display will inexplicably go into full bright billboard mode at the worst possible time (and there is no good time). In case you're new to the Cruze and haven't noticed, the car's software is buggier than all get out.

- -
Ulysses

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Bringing up nighttime driving as a problem when the real problem is daytime driving.

In the 80's and early 90's when electronic dashes became popular, couldn't even read these in the daytime, sun would wash out the screens. One key reason they went back to instruments. Ha, when you walk into Best Buy with all those aftermarket radios, always in a dark corner, can't even read them if the switch on the lights.

Must have been suffering from jetlag in our trip to Italy, insisted we leave before the sun sets as extremely dependent on my GPS. But couldn't even read that with my polarized sun glasses on. Was so much easier to drive at night.

One thing I really hate about driving at night is vehicles with HID headlamps, have to hold my left hand up to shield them. But thinking about adding HID's to my Cruze. If for no other reason, just to get even.

Worse driving is east during the sunrise or west during the sunset. Especially this time of the year, sun rises at 7:30 AM, sets at 4:00 PM. Nice driving at night.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Depends on the conditions and my mood. In town with lots of city lights it is somewhere in between. On the dark open highway I keep it at the minimum to make it easier to spot deer and such.

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts
One thing I really hate about driving at night is vehicles with HID headlamps.
Ditto here, Nick.
Nothing worse than a jacked up pickup truck on your bumper at night with HID flamethrowers alight. Accursed things should be outlawed. Period.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I keep mine on the low side. Sometimes I would just like to turn off the interior lights completely but I haven't figured out how to do this with my Cruze. My Montana had this ability and face it, if you're running on cruise control you really don't need to see your speedometer.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm not big on changing things constantly on the fly (more of a set it and forget it thing), as such I try to get them at a reasonable enough level so I can see them in winter when low light levels force them into nighttime (dim) mode

· Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Bringing up nighttime driving as a problem when the real problem is daytime driving.

In the 80's and early 90's when electronic dashes became popular, couldn't even read these in the daytime, sun would wash out the screens. One key reason they went back to instruments. Ha, when you walk into Best Buy with all those aftermarket radios, always in a dark corner, can't even read them if the switch on the lights.

Must have been suffering from jetlag in our trip to Italy, insisted we leave before the sun sets as extremely dependent on my GPS. But couldn't even read that with my polarized sun glasses on. Was so much easier to drive at night.

One thing I really hate about driving at night is vehicles with HID headlamps, have to hold my left hand up to shield them. But thinking about adding HID's to my Cruze. If for no other reason, just to get even.

Worse driving is east during the sunrise or west during the sunset. Especially this time of the year, sun rises at 7:30 AM, sets at 4:00 PM. Nice driving at night.
I have to agree with you Nick.................on all points! My 85 Vette has the digital dash, I have ALWAYS hated HID's, I have to travel 20 miles East on I-80 every morning and 20 miles west every evening and that sun is just plain BRUTAL!

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Son actually let me drive his new T&C last month, has a DVD player in his radio, but couldn't get it to work when driving. I wanted to watch the French Connection movie to see if I could drive it like that.

Also wanted to watch those Airport series of movies on our flight back from Italy, but they didn't have these options. Did watch The High and Mighty last night for the first time in years. The way John Wayne and Robert Stack were flipping that control wheel around. No wonder why they were having problems with an engine falling off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.