Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

360092 488
Go back to COMG- The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

So after reading and doing some research I've been itching on the idea of having factory Stereo Bluetooth aka A2DP. In the forum post on this site http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-e...e-firmware-version-your-cruze-radio-pdim.html the user bojangles talks about his issues with USB and how he was able to get the dealership to install the PDIM from a Camaro. Looking further I want to avoid the dealership at all possible. I then got in my 2012 Cruze LTZ/RS and checked the FW/SW and luckily I have the latest according to the forum post DB/DD.

Looking on the internet and the forum the PDIM GM#20985421 (22872777, 22829143 - part has been renumbered a couple of times now -obermd) is the PDIM from a Camaro and is the latest according to the forum post on the Camaro website. AMAZON has it currently for under 90 bucks, I ordered it and took apart my dash and after poking around for about an hour I finally found my current PDIM which is very conveniently located. Today the Camaro PDIM will come in, point being is hopefully since my FW is up to to latest it should be plug and play and work like a charm. (fingers crossed) I can't be certain poking around on the Camaro forum the people who have installed PDIM's never had one to begin with and they didn't have the latest and had to have theirs flashed. This is why I say this is a test, Will update and post a how to if it works along with the location of the PDIM.

UPDATE: WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Simple Guide to install

I already had DB/DD installed prob will work for you too as long as your radio is at this FW. If not I'm not sure how this will work out for you. You might need to go into a dealership to update then you can preform this mod. I take no responsibility for anything about this guide it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you or your car wont randomly explode because you installed a factory feature not available to the cruze lol.

1. First you need the New PDIM GM#22797218, along with a flat head screwdriver and a 7mm socket
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

2. Detach the passenger kickpannel that is under the center console like so. (It just pulls off but be careful)
Vehicle Car Auto part

3. Detach the silver/golf ball trim that around the shift-nob
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive design
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

4. Remove the 2 screws on each side of the change holder
Auto part Bumper Vehicle Electronics Engine
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

5. Sorry for the pics couldn't get a better one but kinda underneath after you remove the change holder you'll see the PDIM.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive lighting Mid-size car

6. Ok back underneath the passengers side kick panel you removed earlier you'll also see the end of the PDIM I used my hand and pushed it. FYI their are some clips holding the PDIM front where we removed the change pocket.

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trunk

you'll see it start to come out.

Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

7. After pulling it so far I let if fall down so it exposes the back of the PDIM
Electronics Electronic component Technology Auto part Electronic device

8. Here we have the PDIM

Material property Auto part Car

9. All you do now is replace it with the new one and your good to go. FYI the USB cord is hard to get off you need to put a flat blade in-between the metal clip you do not press down on the metal clip to remove you press up by putting something in-between.
481 - 489 of 489 Posts

· Registered
2012 Cruze
23 Posts
I'm finally going to make this upgrade to my 2012 LT after about 7 years of owning the car. I had planned to do it when this thread was still only a couple pages long, but our friends at GM kept changing the module and discontinuing the old ones, and I was always a hair too late. Not this time! Well, sort of...

If anyone comes along later and wants to find module 23340430, good luck. GMPartsDirect had it in stock on their site, but they cancelled my order right after I placed it. They said it's "on national backorder" and they don't know when they'll get more. May be due to the pandemic, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's just GM's game-playing.

Anyway, I found one on eBay through a GM reseller in Dallas who had one left in stock. That may be your best bet in the future. I even ended up paying less for both the module and shipping through them than GMPD was going to charge me. It won't arrive until mid-May, but at least I managed to get one.

Will update soon on how install goes!

· Registered
2012 Cruze
23 Posts
Great success!

Many thanks to the good people of this forum for sharing your experience over time. I got my new PDIM installed today with only minor cursing, and it works perfectly. Part number was 23340430.

One note on the pesky USB clip: the way that worked for me was sticking a long-handled flathead screwdriver in from the kick panel side and using it to both lift the front of metal clip over the bump and push the whole assembly away from the PDIM in one motion. That was way easier than trying to push the back of the metal clip to cantilever it over the bump from the shift knob side.

I also found it very helpful to push the passenger seat all the way back to maximize working room.

Hope that helps anyone who comes along later!

· Registered
30 Posts
For those saying to remove the kickpanel, and look for the box, where am I looking? I've got a 2012 AT with Pioneer, but the pics in the first post don't make the location very clear. By the coin tray isn't clear either.

· Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what GM models and years the 23340430 module came in or the second newest one? I don't have time to wait for online orders huge drive ahead of me in 2 days, I just wanted to go to the junkyard and pull one please help. I have a 2012 Cruze with the KTA harness, AUX and USB cables and PCIM HW DB SW DD.

· Registered
14 Posts
Bought another '12 ECO, so verified part number 20927509 works...seems to be from '11-12 Caddy SRX, $30 shipped used from Ebay..thx, Rob

· Registered
5 Posts
So I just bought a '14 Cruze LT, and I was blown away when I discovered it can connect for calls via Bluetooth, but not stream music?!

I found the PDIM part # 20985421 on ebay for $119. A little steeper than the past it seems, but still cheaper than upgrading the whole system.

I personally found it difficult to confirm that I had the stock Cruze PDIM already in place. I uploaded the pics below originally to ask if that was the PDIM. I ended up just taking it fully apart to check. I can confirm that case holds the stock PDIM; the sticker is for the case, not the PDIM itself.

Looking forward to having bluetooth streaming in a little over a week!

Fixture Vehicle door Carbon Trunk Cable
Fuel line Wire Electrical wiring Engine Nut
Carbon Cable Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply

· Registered
2 Posts
Very late to the party, can anybody verify that this will work a 2015 Cruze LT, I have the RS package is that makes a difference
Did you ever install the module for your 2015? I have a '15 LT as well, standard radio, DB/DF. I assume it works just fine since it's basically the same car as previous years. Looking to do mine ASAP.

Problem is finding the stupid wireless module. Does anybody have a comprehensive list of all compatible part #'s? Seems pretty extensive. What are the chances of finding a salvage unit?

Any help is appreciated.

481 - 489 of 489 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.