Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

362831 Views 488 Replies 158 Participants Last post by  nilesg75
Go back to COMG- The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

So after reading and doing some research I've been itching on the idea of having factory Stereo Bluetooth aka A2DP. In the forum post on this site http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-e...e-firmware-version-your-cruze-radio-pdim.html the user bojangles talks about his issues with USB and how he was able to get the dealership to install the PDIM from a Camaro. Looking further I want to avoid the dealership at all possible. I then got in my 2012 Cruze LTZ/RS and checked the FW/SW and luckily I have the latest according to the forum post DB/DD.

Looking on the internet and the forum the PDIM GM#20985421 (22872777, 22829143 - part has been renumbered a couple of times now -obermd) is the PDIM from a Camaro and is the latest according to the forum post on the Camaro website. AMAZON has it currently for under 90 bucks, I ordered it and took apart my dash and after poking around for about an hour I finally found my current PDIM which is very conveniently located. Today the Camaro PDIM will come in, point being is hopefully since my FW is up to to latest it should be plug and play and work like a charm. (fingers crossed) I can't be certain poking around on the Camaro forum the people who have installed PDIM's never had one to begin with and they didn't have the latest and had to have theirs flashed. This is why I say this is a test, Will update and post a how to if it works along with the location of the PDIM.

UPDATE: WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Simple Guide to install

I already had DB/DD installed prob will work for you too as long as your radio is at this FW. If not I'm not sure how this will work out for you. You might need to go into a dealership to update then you can preform this mod. I take no responsibility for anything about this guide it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you or your car wont randomly explode because you installed a factory feature not available to the cruze lol.

1. First you need the New PDIM GM#22797218, along with a flat head screwdriver and a 7mm socket
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

2. Detach the passenger kickpannel that is under the center console like so. (It just pulls off but be careful)
Vehicle Car Auto part

3. Detach the silver/golf ball trim that around the shift-nob
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive design
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

4. Remove the 2 screws on each side of the change holder
Auto part Bumper Vehicle Electronics Engine
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

5. Sorry for the pics couldn't get a better one but kinda underneath after you remove the change holder you'll see the PDIM.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive lighting Mid-size car

6. Ok back underneath the passengers side kick panel you removed earlier you'll also see the end of the PDIM I used my hand and pushed it. FYI their are some clips holding the PDIM front where we removed the change pocket.

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trunk

you'll see it start to come out.

Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

7. After pulling it so far I let if fall down so it exposes the back of the PDIM
Electronics Electronic component Technology Auto part Electronic device

8. Here we have the PDIM

Material property Auto part Car

9. All you do now is replace it with the new one and your good to go. FYI the USB cord is hard to get off you need to put a flat blade in-between the metal clip you do not press down on the metal clip to remove you press up by putting something in-between.
61 - 80 of 489 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
OnStar pushed the update to current subscribers. For everyone else they attempted to contact you with a one-month complementary subscription so they could push both the update, and more importantly to them, their subscription.
I see. I'm near the end of my 6 month trial, but since it's still active, I guess they may have done it already. :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Our chevrolet dealership said they performed a "music player firmware upgrade" I took a picture before of DB/DB and after it was still DB/DB. I am in a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT1 with OnStar, USB and Aux. They said they never had a cd upgrade for any cruze only other models. I purchased the part number in the from Amazon (mentioned in the first post). If I only have DB/DB can I still install this module, does the module contain the software (DD) itself?

My thoughts are to bring the PDIM module in to the dealership and tell them to install it because their shop foreman (GM master tech 20+ years) does not know what a PDIM and this service upgrade is not on any bulletins.

Thank You

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I just checked on the Camaro forums. With the Camaro version CE firmware (2010 release date) appears to work. Since the base radio head unit and PDIM are the same for the two cars I would expect that DB/DB will work, but I don't know for sure as I have DB/DD hardware/firmware.

· Registered
3 Posts
There was a big fiasco at the dealership today ending with the service manager walking off and leaving stating that chevrolet customer service is a joke. The dealership's general manager was called in and he was extremely helpful. I am bringing the part I ordered in tomorrow morning and their technicians are going to install it for free and attempt to update the system. I will update you with what the exact procedure was they did and if it worked out good. They don't seem to know how to apply the DD firmware version update. Their system states that for my existing PDIM the latest is DB. Anyone know if the firmware is on the PDIM or if it is updated independently of the PDIM module? If it is independent how do you perform the update, there seems to be confusion at the dealership as to whether you use a CD, a laptop connected to the port under the drivers kickplate or some other method to update this PDIM firmware.

Thank You

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The firmware may very well be on the PDIM. The hardware/firmware test is done from the AUX display. If they can't figure out how to replace the PDIM, point them to this thread.

· Registered
3 Posts
I appreciate your advice. My only concern is that they will be able to install it but won't be able to update the firmware to the latest DD, unless its included on this PDIM. The service manager explained that to update the firmware they plug the car into a computer and enter the vin and part number and it automatically determines the latest software and flashes it. I am not sure if the technician will be experienced enough to handle this and if the firmware is on the PDIM I don't want the flashing the old version on it.

So many things to worry about. I'll just cross my fingers. @ Chevy customer service you need to make firmware updates available to owners similar to Ford.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm getting my Cruze today!!! its an LS trim, no OnStar, no USB port, just the 3.5" aux in, no steering wheel controls of any kind. Will this upgrade enable me to connect my iPhone through the USB?

I read on the thread that if I buy the part for the camaro with all the wiring I will need a different insert for the central console as it is different for the Cruze, the slot for the USB is there but just has a plastic filler.

Since I don't have the Steering Wheel controls how could I setup Bluetooth and use it for answering calls?

Thanks in advance

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The best way to determine if you have an existing PDIM to swap out is to open your car and check. You should be able to see the PDIM if you remove the passenger side kickboard. The Bluetooth calling is controled by the On-star module behind the main glove box. I'm not exactly sure how to swap this module or what else would be needed.

· Registered
57 Posts
Can this be done on a 2012 ltz rs with nav and pioneer system...?

If so what part # is needed and where is it located ?

I tryed checking firmware but it didnt come up like it says to do on the first page here must be different on the nav touchscreen.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
If you have the 3.5mm and AUX jacks in the center glovebox, it will probably work but since I don't have the pioneer system I don't know for sure. I got my Bluetooth PDIM from Amazon following the link on the first page of this thread. On the base radio I select CD/AUX and then press the "Menu Sel" button to manage the Bluetooth features.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I would open the console and verify the PDIM is only going to the 3.5 and USB before replacing it. If it's going to the SD card slot you don't want to add the BlueTooth A2DP at the cost of losing your navigation system. You may have to trace wires from the SD Card slot back to the system to verify this.

· Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2012 Cruze and stumbled onto this board when I realized I couldn't stream bluetooth (didn't think before the purchase) thru my Android phone. The recommended part seems to be 22797218 but I'm wondering whether there are others that may work also. Found this part # 20927510 and its described as a Multi Media Player Interface Module Assembly also. Its listed for 2011 Allure / Equinox / Cruze. Perhaps this is the PDIM that's already in my car or is incompatible with the 2012 model? I have the Pioneer sound system as well as bluetooth already. Just not the A2DP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The PDIM will be in the same location regardless of stereo. Open it up and take a look. I don't know this for a fact, but my guess would be that the AC Delco Bluetooth PDIM referenced in the initial post of this thread will work with no problems as it's the standard GM Bluetooth PDIM that's in other GM cars.

The bluetooth you have is in the OnStar module. The Bluetooth PDIM adds a second Bluetooth radio.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Wyre - when you install it, check all the ports and Bluetooth before closing the car back up. We have had at least one member have to reopen their car to complete a connection. Also, don't swap the PDIM out when it's cold. You'll brake the plastic clips that hold the cables in place.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just a bit of advice.. When opening the console, you'll need to apply a bit of force. It's not a whole heck of a lot that's needed, but it does require some oomph. I was afraid of applying too much force when I was opening it up, but it took more than I was applying. The clips are plastic with little metal bits on them that hold them into place.

As for the sound quality.. It's decent, but lacks quite a bit of bass. There aren't any tags for the music you're listening to (at least with iOS devices), but the forward and back buttons work (both steering wheel and dash). The one thing that bugs me is that you have to be parked to pair a device for the first time. Sometimes I'll have friends in my car who want to pair to Bluetooth, but can't because we're moving (obviously, I'm not using the radio while driving, they would be).

If you're planning on listening to some music with a good bit of bass (trap, dubstep, etc.), you might want to still have an aux cable or USB cable for that purpose.

Overall, it's a good mod if you really want the functionality, although it does lack in some areas. But hey, it's better than not having it at all!

· Registered
10 Posts
I am getting the new module and I was just wondering if you can have your cells' Bluetooth connected to the onstar Bluetooth, and a tablet Bluetooth (with your music) connected to the new Bluetooth antenna being installed? As in you're listening to Bluetooth music from tablet, then you get a call on your Bluetooth cell phone. Will the cell phone interrupt the music to let you know?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Just a bit of advice.. When opening the console, you'll need to apply a bit of force. It's not a whole heck of a lot that's needed, but it does require some oomph. I was afraid of applying too much force when I was opening it up, but it took more than I was applying. The clips are plastic with little metal bits on them that hold them into place.
Six clips - three on each side. They are at the bottom bend, the bend from "level" to up the console, and at the very top. The top clips are the hardest to remove. I used my fingers for the bottom and middle pairs and used a 1.5 inch putty applicator for the top pair.

As for the sound quality.. It's decent, but lacks quite a bit of bass. There aren't any tags for the music you're listening to (at least with iOS devices), but the forward and back buttons work (both steering wheel and dash). The one thing that bugs me is that you have to be parked to pair a device for the first time. Sometimes I'll have friends in my car who want to pair to Bluetooth, but can't because we're moving (obviously, I'm not using the radio while driving, they would be).

If you're planning on listening to some music with a good bit of bass (trap, dubstep, etc.), you might want to still have an aux cable or USB cable for that purpose.
If you're using the 3.5mm jack for music you will notice a considerable improvement in sound quality. The 3.5mm jack in the Cruze is designed for speech only applications, such as "books on tape" and doesn't have the dynamic range or frequency response needed for music. I seriously thought I had replaced my entire stereo when I swapped in the Bluetooth PDIM.

Overall, it's a good mod if you really want the functionality, although it does lack in some areas. But hey, it's better than not having it at all!
You don't get the on-radio display of what's playing or the ability to select play lists. You do get steering wheel control to start, skip forwards, skip backwards, and stop your Android music player. The restriction is in the radio's firmware as the 2012 Sonic does fully work with the Bluetooth PDIM.

I am getting the new module and I was just wondering if you can have your cells' Bluetooth connected to the onstar Bluetooth, and a tablet Bluetooth (with your music) connected to the new Bluetooth antenna being installed? As in you're listening to Bluetooth music from tablet, then you get a call on your Bluetooth cell phone. Will the cell phone interrupt the music to let you know?
Two different antennas. The A2DP will show as GMusic Connect or something like that. The car's phone interface will show as Hands Free. Android sends a message to the music player when the phone rings or is activated by placing a call and then sends another message when the phone call ends. It's up to the music player to respond to those messages. The default music player and Pandora both work. So as long as your phone supports multiple simultaneious connections it will work. I use a Casio Commando Gingerbread and I have had the ODBII interface running Torque Lite, music and Google navigation playing, and cell phone usage all at the same time.

61 - 80 of 489 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.