Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
OK - my temperature question has been answered. What about impact on the clutch when using the higher rated fluids. The Cruze uses the same fluid for the clutch.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
You will only notice a difference when the fluid ages ober... If your clutch fluid is only a year or so old and you replace it with 5.1 then you will not notice an improvement in the pedal feel. If the fluid is 5 years old and you replace it with a Dot 5.1 you will notice the pedal will return to a more OEM feel. The OEM feeling will last longer, but it won't be different. It is not as drastic of a difference as brake fluid.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Thanks, 2013LT.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I'm not an expert on this I won't lie. But I have changed clutch fluid and I could barely, barely feel the difference at all and the fluid was like 8 years old or even older. Not to mention the process is a PITA. I am going to change mine after about 3 years though because it helps keep the cylinders and the clutch system healthy overall. It also looks like I'm going to be sticking to Amsoil only from here on in. Xtreme has me convinced. I wish I hadn't just bought oil for the car or I would have ordered some Amsoil for that too :(

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
I'm not an expert on this I won't lie. But I have changed clutch fluid and I could barely, barely feel the difference at all and the fluid was like 8 years old or even older. Not to mention the process is a PITA. I am going to change mine after about 3 years though because it helps keep the cylinders and the clutch system healthy overall. It also looks like I'm going to be sticking to Amsoil only from here on in. Xtreme has me convinced. I wish I hadn't just bought oil for the car or I would have ordered some Amsoil for that too :(
Got two people confirmed so fat that noticed a definite and big difference in the Cruze after flushing the stock stuff out for Amsoil. I am led to believe there's more to the Amsoil Dot3 than boiling point..

Sent from mobile.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
^That's kinda what I'm thinking too. Maybe the fluid quality is better? I mean liquids don't compress under normal circumstances so it doesn't make much sense that it would "Perform" better than OEM fluid when brand new. Is this clutch fluid or brake fluid Xtreme?

Edit: I just remember that brake fluids are not only used for their hydraulic purposes but they also lubricate the brake system (cylinders, etc.). It is very possible that Amsoil fluid does a better job of this than OEM fluid and it simply makes the OEM cylinders function better due to better lubrication making the braking performance better. So I guess the same might go from Clutch fluid. It's worth a shot!

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Important tip! NEVER TOP UP YOUR BRAKE FLUID!

If you are simply bleeding your brakes and not replacing any brake parts, make sure the fluid level is the same after bleeding as it was when you started. The reason for this is that fluid is drawn from the reservoir as your brake pads wear to compensate for the displacement of the pistons in the brake calipers/cylinders. If your brakes are worn and you top up your fluid, the next time you replace your pads/shoes with new ones the pistons get pushed back in and put all that fluid back into your master cylinder reservoir. If you filled it up while the brakes were worn the reservoir can overflow, spilling corrosive brake fluid all over the place under the hood and eating paint/coatings off of parts and possibly damaging plastic/rubber parts/seals.

Once again - NEVER TOP UP YOUR BRAKE FLUID! The only exception to this is if your brake fluid level gets low enough to trigger the brake warning on the dash, in which case you likely have a leak that needs to be repaired.

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience here. I swapped in the Amsoil fluid and saw the same difference that others had with this fluid. Significant improvement.

I already bought another 5 bottles to change the fluid on the 2002 Rendezvous and 2000 Regal we also own.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, although a good and informative write up isn't one part missing from this? All cruzes like most modern cars, even the base LS which is what I have, are ABS brake systems. From what I've learned these brake systems only receive a true flush, bleed, change or whatever you are trying to do with them via what's called bidirectional controlling of the ABS unit using an OBD2 scan tool. In other words through menus on the diagnostic scan tool the ABS unit has to be activated in order to get all of the old fluid out of it. An ABS system is nothing more and a series of solenoids than open and close depending on the driving conditions sensed by the sensors sent to the BCM. These solenoids aren't going to open and close unless commanded to by the tool. I've also learned one of the most important reasons to changing break fluid it so these units resist corrosion and problems down the road but the fact is all that old fluid it "caught in there" unless these various solenoids are opened during the bleeding procedure.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
The only way I can think to get all the fluid out is to run air threw the lines with the ABS pump completely off the vehicle. Which is pointless due to how much old fluid is actually in there in you flush it twice in bet you will get all you will be able to get.
Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
These solenoids aren't going to open and close unless commanded to by the tool.
Apparently flushing the brakes, then activating the ABS while stopping on a slippery surface, then flushing again gets you about 98% there. That's what I've read but I don't know exactly how that differs from cycling the valves with the TecII, if at all. It may be just as effective or more for all I know as long as you're getting all channels/solenoids cycling.

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
Apparently flushing the brakes, then activating the ABS while stopping on a slippery surface, then flushing again gets you about 98% there. That's what I've read but I don't know exactly how that differs from cycling the valves with the TecII, if at all. It may be just as effective or more for all I know as long as you're getting all channels/solenoids cycling.
At that point, I'd wonder just how much fluid is held by the ABS system. I used about 26-28 ounces to change all of my brake fluid.

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you torquing the bleeder screws and if so what is the value? And also if you don't have a small lbs-in torque wrench, how can you go about doing it? In other words say if I finger tightened them initially, how many times around would I got with the 10mm wrench?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Info on this needs to be updated in regards to the diameter of the tubing. The method is pretty self explanatory without the photos....at least I thought. I bought the required line without looking at the photos, but rather going off of the words in the post. It says 1/4 diameter tubing, however tubbing is measured in OD (outside diameter) and ID ( inside diameter). Your ID is what you are concerned with I regards to the end that will connect to the bleeder, while the OD is the size hole needed to be made in whatever container you are using. His photo shows the label reading 1/4 OD while a smaller .170 ID will be needed to fit securely around the bleeders. Just a heads up on that.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
"Now pump the brake petal to lower the old fluid in the reservior, But DONT let it go too low. once its low enough top it off with your new fluid."

How much should pump before filling it with new fluid? How much pumping does it take till you see the new fluid come out?

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
"Now pump the brake petal to lower the old fluid in the reservior, But DONT let it go too low. once its low enough top it off with your new fluid."

How much should pump before filling it with new fluid? How much pumping does it take till you see the new fluid come out?
Just need to kind of keep an eye on it. You can get several pumps in before you need to fill it again. With the clear hose, you can see the color of the fluid as you pump it through.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Finally got mine changed today. Had 2.5 years and 46K on the old fluid. Man that stuff was black, I think I waited to long. It was either burnt or very dirty! I used two 12oz bottles of the AMSOIL but got a little pump happy and ran out before completing the job, had to run out to Advance Auto and get a bottle of Valvoline Synthetic Bake fluid to finish up. I probably used about 12oz more. Hope the two are mixable...

By the way, I really could not tell any difference in the peddle. I've read several say they could but it feels the same to me. Still glad I done it though, it really needed to be changed!

·
Registered
325 Posts
This may be another dumb question, sorry, but how does moisture get into the fluid in the first place? I mean, isn't it a sealed system devoid of air?
And if so, we can't blame temperature changes for the moisture can we?
I can understand the need to change the fluid because of contaminants, corrosion perhaps etc, but it's the moisture thing that makes me wonder? ;)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts