Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellow Chevy lovers I am new here so hello! I currently own a 2009 Yukon XL Denali and an '03 Yukon XL. The '03 needs about 2-3K in things done to it and it has 213K miles on it. It's been one of the best vehicle I have ever bought. But with it only being worth 4-5K I can't justify it. I work in the railroad industry and will be driving about 3-4K miles a month around the Midwest for work. The Yukon will cost a lot to drive and with the repairs we want to sell it and get a commuter car. I can't decide whether to get the Diesel 46MPGs or the ECO/Premier that are rated at 42 MPGs. My question mainly is can I actually get 42 out of the gas ECO/premier model? Also from what I have read the Diesel model is pretty reliable with minor emission issues. I will be driving a lot and want the best MPGs and bang for my buck I can get. What's your thoughts? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Diesel is where the mpg are at. Most guys here are getting 52mpg+ easily

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go diesel, and consider a "lightweight" exhaust system if necessary and enjoy the ride!!!
Diesel is where the mpg are at. Most guys here are getting 52mpg+ easily
I have been reading a ton. Read each of Diesel's 50K write ups and such. Living in TX I won't need to do emissions so I do plan on a "lightweight" exhaust system after the warranty is up. Have these emissions issue ever left anyone completely stranded? Or can you make it to the stealership for a manual regen?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have been reading a ton. Read each of Diesel's 50K write ups and such. Living in TX I won't need to do emissions so I do plan on a "lightweight" exhaust system after the warranty is up. Have these emissions issue ever left anyone completely stranded? Or can you make it to the stealership for a manual regen?
I am sure there are some who have been stranded, especially after trying to drive beyond the XX-mile countdown for DEF problems. But this has happened to truck owners too. If you run out of DEF or have a DEF pump/tank problem the car will eventually slow to a crawl and need to be towed if you don't get it to a dealer to remedy the problem in time. Thank CARB and the EPA for this!!!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Reliability issues with the diesels seem to be all emissions-related.

Reliability issues with the Eco are drivetrain-related (PCV system, water pump, turbos, occasional transmissions).

If you plan to throw away the emissions crap on the diesel, definitely go diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I have had both the eco and diesel. Eco was a great car for the money and I had zero problems. Traded eco for diesel and no regrets there, love the diesel.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
If you plan to throw away the emissions crap on the diesel, definitely go diesel.
Because when this is done, the fuel efficiency and power go through the (already very high) roof.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you want an automatic go with the diesel. If you want manual go with the ECO. And yes, 42 MPG is what I get at 77 MPG in my 2012 ECO MT. I have a lifetime of over 100,000 miles at 42.5 MPG and we have one member here who maintained 49.9 MPG for his first 300,000 miles with his 2012 ECO MT.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
eco cheaper but less mpg, diesel more fun and power more expensive. diesel is less maintenance. id go diesel seeing as its a 2lt so more bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
When I needed manual regens, I was able to drive to the dealer. The only thing that ever left me stranded was when the intercooler pipe exploded at 185K, but that's a known issue now, and a replacement at 150K should be safe PM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nice guys I appreciate all the help! Honestly the price is close enough to not be a issue. Also like stated you get leather and mylink and stuff with the Diesel so along with the cost not being much more you also get loaded with goodies as well. I think if I can find a CPO Diesel it'll be the way to go. My mileage reimburse my will pay fuel and the car payment and then probably pay the principal balance off in about a year.

Also should I stick with a 2014 or look for a 2015? Am I gaining anything besides a model year newer with the 2015??

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Nice guys I appreciate all the help! Honestly the price is close enough to not be a issue. Also like stated you get leather and mylink and stuff with the Diesel so along with the cost not being much more you also get loaded with goodies as well. I think if I can find a CPO Diesel it'll be the way to go. My mileage reimburse my will pay fuel and the car payment and then probably pay the principal balance off in about a year.

Also should I stick with a 2014 or look for a 2015? Am I gaining anything besides a model year newer with the 2015??
I have averaged 42.3 mpg over last 13 months and 20k miles. Fuel was very reasonable during this time period, my average fuel cost is at $2.00 per gallon. Cost per mile is 4.8 cents a mile. CPO diesel could be a great option, might be a good idea to know previous service history. Good luck.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts

New front fascia and LED running lights for the 15. You'd lose the leather steering wheel in a 15 Eco vs 14.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are driving 42k miles a yr and have the Eco avg 40mpg you will use 1050gal at a price around here of 2.20. total yr cost of $2310. Diesel if it gets 52mpg will use 807 gals at 2.49 gal for a total Yearly cost of $2009. The diesel must cost 4K more new over the Eco Saving $301 a year with the diesel over the Eco it would take 13 years to recover the cost of the $4k engine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are driving 42k miles a yr and have the Eco avg 40mpg you will use 1050gal at a price around here of 2.20. total yr cost of $2310. Diesel if it gets 52mpg will use 807 gals at 2.49 gal for a total Yearly cost of $2009. The diesel must cost 4K more new over the Eco Saving $301 a year with the diesel over the Eco it would take 13 years to recover the cost of the $4k engine
nice!! Love the Math my friend. I will be buying used only. So the initial cost when buying new is not a concern. I may pay up to 2K more used for same year and miles but they are really close in price on the used market. Looking at spending under 20K.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
nice!! Love the Math my friend. I will be buying used only. So the initial cost when buying new is not a concern. I may pay up to 2K more used for same year and miles but they are really close in price on the used market. Looking at spending under 20K.
No matter what you go with, check the previous service history (warranty work, special bulletin coverage's performed, etc), however that can give you more of an idea of what to expect if you pick up a Diesel Cruze. As most have been saying, pretty much all reliability issues are emissions related. I myself have only had an EGR valve get stuck, but then again I'm only at 24,500 miles with my 2014 Diesel. So long as the service history is fairly clean you should expect a fairly hassle free ownership. If it's full of emissions related services performed then it could continue to have issues.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

I think from a reliability perspective, you are fine either way. Mine is one of the first 2014's to roll off the line.

No matter what you go with, check the previous service history (warranty work, special bulletin coverage's performed, etc), however that can give you more of an idea of what to expect if you pick up a Diesel Cruze. As most have been saying, pretty much all reliability issues are emissions related. I myself have only had an EGR valve get stuck, but then again I'm only at 24,500 miles with my 2014 Diesel. So long as the service history is fairly clean you should expect a fairly hassle free ownership. If it's full of emissions related services performed then it could continue to have issues.
I echo this. Service history is important. If it starts off trouble free, it will probably continue to be (relatively) trouble free.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
10,712 Posts
Besides the known emissions stuff, I believe some of the super early 14's got shafted and ended up with left over 2013 radios. I'd still shoot for 15 on both as the eco wheel can always be swapped out for a Camaro wheel. 2LT options for the Diesel is the way to go if I had to do it again with a Cruze.

Also 14 to 15 you lose floor mats in the Eco. You also lose the glove box cubby for a speaker grille. USB covers gone and those little felt things in the cup holder that hates styrofoam drink cups. Plus side LED DRLs a real trunk button inside and that wifi setup if that fancies you depending on your carrier and this new unlimited "No mobile HotSpot" plans that just popped up.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts