Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I took my 2014 1LT for the first long drive since I bought it. Went about 477 miles and got 38.2 MPG. On the way there the DIC said 44.2 MPG, but there was a strong head wind on the way home. I checked the oil when I filled up tonight, and it is in between the bottom hash marks and the bottom line, and the oil is dark brown. It was above the top line before I left, and a dark honey color. I think this means that I burned 3/4 of a quart. I am wondering if this is because the rings haven't fully seated yet, or do I have a problem? Should I take it to the dealer?

A little background: Normally I only drive city streets, very little freeway - average about 28 miles per hour on the DIC. I drive very spirited, but I was careful not to go WOT during the first 1K miles. Now I open it up all the time. I think it has a lot of power. It now has just under 3K miles.

Added: It runs great. Idles great. No hesitation. Turbo usually kicks in nicely, although sometimes after engine braking on hills it seems like the turbo is less powerful for a few miles.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A couple of thoughts......and yes, new engines may consume some oil during break in.
Since you indicate primarily slowish stop and go usage prior to this trip it could be assumed the rings have not fully seated.

You indicated checking the oil level prior to your trip....I will assume this took place prior to your first start up.
If that was the case, the level you saw at that time was the true oil level since the oil up in the head had time (overnight) to drain down into the pan.
You then indicate the oil level was checked immediatly after refueling.....if this was the case, it will often create a incorrect reading.....a fair amount of oil is still up in the head that has yet to make it down into the pan.

If you havent added yet (and really, you don't need to till the level is at the add line) check the oil after sitting all night or after sitting several hours.

Then you are comparing cold, pre-start level to cold, pre-start level.......you may find you consumed nothing.

Also, it is not uncommon for oil consumption to occur after many miles of around town, short trip driving.....then going on a long high speed drive.
The short trips allow unburned fuel to get into the crankcase through the blowby that occurs before the rings/pistons have expanded fully.
As a result, the oil thins a bit and can get past the rings and into the combustion chamber causing some loss and, because oil temperature in the crankcase is now quite high, the fuel diluted oil will experience 'boil off' or more vaporizing than normal.
Those vapors will be drawn through the PCV system and be burned as well.

A long winded way of saying it is not yet time for concern.
Check your oil at the beginning of the day or after sitting several hours to get true readings....if loss continues, change the oil and be certain to check the level the next morning so you know the stick level starting point.
Then, check the level once a week......for example, every Sunday morning.

I'm betting there will be no loss noted using the aforementioned methods.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Registered
639 Posts
I disagree with Robs method of checking the oil. I prefer to follow the Bentley manuals(No they don't have a manual for the cruze) method which has the engine at operating temperature and then shut it off. Wait 5 minutes and then check.
I'm not in front of my manual yet, but I'm sure this is in the owners manual as well.

What Rob said about consumption though is correct. There are many platforms that minor consumption is normal. I go with anything less then a quart every 5k is ok. Go beyond that its time to start looking into why.

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
I have been caught like this and I always check my oil on a cold engine and on flat ground. What can happen is the dip tube is sealed by the dip stick and behaves like when you put a bottle in water open end first. The way to overcome this is to remove the dipstick and clean it then dip it again and this allows the oil to come up the tube and give a correct reading.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I disagree with Robs method of checking the oil. I prefer to follow the Bentley manuals(No they don't have a manual for the cruze) method which has the engine at operating temperature and then shut it off. Wait 5 minutes and then check.
I'm not in front of my manual yet, but I'm sure this is in the owners manual as well.

What Rob said about consumption though is correct. There are many platforms that minor consumption is normal. I go with anything less then a quart every 5k is ok. Go beyond that its time to start looking into why.
This is the preferred/correct procedure.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
You then indicate the oil level was checked immediatly after refueling.....if this was the case, it will often create a incorrect reading.....a fair amount of oil is still up in the head that has yet to make it down into the pan.
This is very correct, learned this the hard way with my old 2.2 Ecotec. I was one to always check oil on a long trip during refueling and noticed my oil was low. Topped it off & drove a few more hours. The next morning when I checked my oil it was high!

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
This is very correct, learned this the hard way with my old 2.2 Ecotec. I was one to always check oil on a long trip during refueling and noticed my oil was low. Topped it off & drove a few more hours. The next morning when I checked my oil it was high!
Exactly which is why I check my oil in the morning on a cold engine, this gives a consistent accurate level.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help and info. I am happy to hear that you think I shouldn't be concerned yet. I thought it was possible that the engine may still be breaking in, considering how I drive.

I checked it again a couple minutes ago while it is stone cold. I did the double dipstick method described by Aussie. It is now sitting just above the bottom line, which is one block above the hash marks. So it did go up a little. I did check it cold before I left this weekend, and it was at the top line. I will check it again about 5 minutes after I get to work to see what it looks like then. I will watch it closely for the next few weeks and only compare readings taken at similar times. I am hopeful that everything is ok.

I think I will take the long way to work for a while so that I can get it on the freeway for a few miles each way. I think I will also be careful not to open it full throttle or engine brake for a few weeks as well.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help and info. I am happy to hear that you think I shouldn't be concerned yet. I thought it was possible that the engine may still be breaking in, considering how I drive.

I checked it again a couple minutes ago while it is stone cold. I did the double dipstick method described by Aussie. It is now sitting just above the bottom line, which is one block above the hash marks. So it did go up a little. I did check it cold before I left this weekend, and it was at the top line. I will check it again about 5 minutes after I get to work to see what it looks like then. I will watch it closely for the next few weeks and only compare readings taken at similar times. I am hopeful that everything is ok.

I think I will take the long way to work for a while so that I can get it on the freeway for a few miles each way. I think I will also be careful not to open it full throttle or engine brake for a few weeks as well.
Hello dhpnet,

If you are experiencing any further concerns with this, please don't hesitate to reach out to me, Kristen or Erica! We would be happy to assist you with any questions. Looking forward to the updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
354 Posts
dhpnet

The cruze's PCV system is a bit wonky. When your on the boost and drop the throttle, a rush of air will run out the crank case and take a few tsp of oil with it. It warns your about excessive oil consumption with spirited driving in the user manual.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so it may have been a combination of factors. My driveway is on about a 5 degree incline. Everything around here is on a bit of a hill. I finally found a mostly flat spot, let the car sit for about 20 minutes, and then checked the oil. It shows just barely below the hash marks. So it may have burned a little oil, but not much. I didn't think a 5 degree incline would make a big difference, but it does.

Edit: Cleaning images to repost

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.