Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I took my 2014 1LT for the first long drive since I bought it. Went about 477 miles and got 38.2 MPG. On the way there the DIC said 44.2 MPG, but there was a strong head wind on the way home. I checked the oil when I filled up tonight, and it is in between the bottom hash marks and the bottom line, and the oil is dark brown. It was above the top line before I left, and a dark honey color. I think this means that I burned 3/4 of a quart. I am wondering if this is because the rings haven't fully seated yet, or do I have a problem? Should I take it to the dealer?

A little background: Normally I only drive city streets, very little freeway - average about 28 miles per hour on the DIC. I drive very spirited, but I was careful not to go WOT during the first 1K miles. Now I open it up all the time. I think it has a lot of power. It now has just under 3K miles.

Added: It runs great. Idles great. No hesitation. Turbo usually kicks in nicely, although sometimes after engine braking on hills it seems like the turbo is less powerful for a few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help and info. I am happy to hear that you think I shouldn't be concerned yet. I thought it was possible that the engine may still be breaking in, considering how I drive.

I checked it again a couple minutes ago while it is stone cold. I did the double dipstick method described by Aussie. It is now sitting just above the bottom line, which is one block above the hash marks. So it did go up a little. I did check it cold before I left this weekend, and it was at the top line. I will check it again about 5 minutes after I get to work to see what it looks like then. I will watch it closely for the next few weeks and only compare readings taken at similar times. I am hopeful that everything is ok.

I think I will take the long way to work for a while so that I can get it on the freeway for a few miles each way. I think I will also be careful not to open it full throttle or engine brake for a few weeks as well.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so it may have been a combination of factors. My driveway is on about a 5 degree incline. Everything around here is on a bit of a hill. I finally found a mostly flat spot, let the car sit for about 20 minutes, and then checked the oil. It shows just barely below the hash marks. So it may have burned a little oil, but not much. I didn't think a 5 degree incline would make a big difference, but it does.

Edit: Cleaning images to repost

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: spacedout
1 - 4 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.