Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep hearing about people putting nitrogen in their car and how its a million times better than regular air that you get at the gas station. i was wondering is it worth the $20/avg that shops charge to fill up your tires?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the article. I was really debating doing this to my car but you just help me save $20. Its not a lot but still thats $20 I can put towards something else. I'd just rather regularly check my tires pressure and refill it for free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well i feel, people have different priorities and use of the car. While i do understand that its expensive i think the whole feel is worth the money you spend. Regualar tires give you a basic comfort but we you are looking to trat your self in luxury go for the nitrogen experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never tried filling with nitrogen gas and as far as I checked with my car engineer friends, I am told it doesn't make any sense as normal air filled in the tyre already contains almost 70 per cent of nitrogen. So I am told its all just marketing gimmick rather than serving any purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I prefer filling it with just the regular air that is use by other car owners. I don’t like to spend the extra $20 just to impress someone else.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
I live in Cincinnati and the only place I know of to get N2 is at "Tire Discounters" This place is using it as a big sales gimmick. I am reminded of a quote from "Back to the Future" when he is trying to get plutonium to send him back to 1985, "Just can't go down to the corner drugstore to get plutonium in 1955." I can't just go to the local gas station(or my garage) to put nitrogen in my tires in Cincinnati. I'll just use air. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Unless you're a seriously track your car there is no reason to pay $20 for green valve stem caps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
437 Posts
nitrogen filled tires have one place.. on the race track. They have zero use on the street.

Without the moisture in the filling medium the tire retains its filled circumference as it heats up, since pure nitrogen doesn't expand as much as the nitrogen/oxygen/moisture filled stuff we breath and fill street tires with.

Since they don't expand as much, it allows chassis setups to be fine tuned without having to figure out if it was tire expansion that threw your setup off. Thats not an issue on street tires, a tiny bit of tire expansion isn't going to be even noticeable on the street.. save your money people.

nitrogen filled street tires ---> :1poke:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I do have nitrogen in the tires through the Chev. dealer, but I was told I get free fills when the tires get low, or just fill with air until I get back to the dealership.

I also removed the green valve caps: they clash with my imperial blue metallic color. I will put them back just when I go back to dealer for service.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
nitrogen filled tires have one place.. on the race track. They have zero use on the street.

Without the moisture in the filling medium the tire retains its filled circumference as it heats up, since pure nitrogen doesn't expand as much as the nitrogen/oxygen/moisture filled stuff we breath and fill street tires with.

Since they don't expand as much, it allows chassis setups to be fine tuned without having to figure out if it was tire expansion that threw your setup off. Thats not an issue on street tires, a tiny bit of tire expansion isn't going to be even noticeable on the street.. save your money people.

nitrogen filled street tires ---> :1poke:
X2

Unless its free, its just not worth it...

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Free for life (after $150 at signing).

When I bought my car they said I had nitrogen and needed to buy it. I thought, meh, that's cents on a 1600 loan. Figured every dealer would have it. Nope!
Instead of being able to take it to the dealer 1 block away from me, I have to drive 25 minutes away!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I run nitrogen because at the dealer, it comes with free tire rotations and tire repairs, and top offs. And they give a discount on the next set of tires. I figured just in tire rotations I end up getting money back, they charge 20 for a rotation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to bring back a dinosaur haha..
But I was told that my Chevy Cruze came with Nitrogen in the tired already, and thats why I have green caps instead of black. My friend told me this and he said he learned from working at Walmart, so I was just curious if that is the case

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Free for life (after $150 at signing).

When I bought my car they said I had nitrogen and needed to buy it. I thought, meh, that's cents on a 1600 loan. Figured every dealer would have it. Nope!
Instead of being able to take it to the dealer 1 block away from me, I have to drive 25 minutes away!
A good portable air pump costs less.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I had a coupon for a free nitrogen fill so I tried it. I wasn't impressed. Made them give me back my black valve stems and went back to the 78% nitrogen mixture the car's included air pump provides for free.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts