Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post about getting the P2002 error and a additionally a problem with Bump/Jump/Clunk, When I remove my foot from the brake from a stop, but I was wondering if you guys get much soot on the back of your car? In looking for the problems with the emmission system maybe that is a red flag. Thinking back, I have had soot periodically in that area of my car, maybe that is another hint of the problem? Is it normal for your Cruze??

·
Registered
533 Posts
Or you might try baby wipes:moon:

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
None on ours, either.

Reactions: TDCruzeLady

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh Haaaa!! now we have more info to get the dealer to fix this problem. I have had soot off and on since I got it. I put a qtip in the pipe and it definitley has soot.
no

there is something wrong with your car

your tailpipe should be clean as day 1, the soot is to be collected by the dpf and burned off during regen

my cruze is white, zero soot back of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I get a little soot after a tank of diesel (about 700 miles or so).

Not anywhere NEAR the amount of soot I had with the VW TDI Jetta. That thing was just covered with soot each tank of fuel.

Both cars are (were) white.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Just a question, does your exhaust pipe clear the bodywork? I ask this because on my Holden Cruze diesel the pipe turns down before it clears the bodywork. In five years I have not had any blackening of the bodywork even though I was concerned about this from day one.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
No blackening around exhaust pipe, just a dusting of soot on the bumper (usually a light layer of sooty dust). Rinses/wipes right off without any scrubbing.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
My car is black but I have never observed soot, having said that not like I normally play with my cars tailpipe to check.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
My car is black but I have never observed soot, having said that not like I normally play with my cars tailpipe to check.:rolleyes:
Haha - ours is black too - I think you'd notice the consistency of soot, though. The tailpipe looks just as you'd expect one to.

If there is soot, the emissions system is definitely not working.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've never noticed any soot on the back of my car (it is dark - Granite). Last I looked, the inside of the tail pipe was clean - no soot there either.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would assume those have deleted might get a small to moderate amount of soot on back of car?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I would assume those have deleted might get a small to moderate amount of soot on back of car?
Stock non-deleted.

For good reason, the following is uttered as a (whisper):

(75K, no CELs or emissions problems yet, so I’ll assume the small amount of soot I find on the bumper is ‘normal’...let sleeping dogs lie as they say).

Crossing fingers

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Stock non-deleted.

For good reason, the following is uttered as a (whisper):

(75K, no CELs or emissions problems yet, so I’ll assume the small amount of soot I find on the bumper is ‘normal’...let sleeping dogs lie as they say).

Crossing fingers
That’s awesome, I was on that list until last week. Hope I don’t have further issues.

Reactions: MP81 and Rivergoer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does turn down slightly. There was soot on the inside and some on the outside. The back of the car had a dusting of soot, definitely noticible.
Just a question, does your exhaust pipe clear the bodywork? I ask this because on my Holden Cruze diesel the pipe turns down before it clears the bodywork. In five years I have not had any blackening of the bodywork even though I was concerned about this from day one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your experience and info on the soot /lack of on your vehicle or tail pipe. The dealer has ordered the repair parts for the repair. They worked with the Engineers in Detroit and did the full throttle test. They are replacing both the Catalytic Converter and the DPF. While in the shop I'm having the transmission fluid changed, hopefully that will resolve my Bump/Jump/Thunk from a stop. I've asked them to give me a sample of the fluid they removed, I am assuming when new the fluid is pinkish?? The Cat and DPF repair are covered under warranty, whew! Thanks for all the ideas!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad to hear that GM is helping. Let us know the results.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good to hear they are replacing the DPF, it's definitely bad. No soot either of my gen 1 Cruze Diesels.. and none on my DPF Diesel truck either. With a DPF there should be no soot at the tail pipe.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.