Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Do you get soot on your back bumper/trunk area?

7K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  MRO1791 
#1 ·
I have a post about getting the P2002 error and a additionally a problem with Bump/Jump/Clunk, When I remove my foot from the brake from a stop, but I was wondering if you guys get much soot on the back of your car? In looking for the problems with the emmission system maybe that is a red flag. Thinking back, I have had soot periodically in that area of my car, maybe that is another hint of the problem? Is it normal for your Cruze??

#5 ·
None on ours, either.

Reactions: TDCruzeLady
#7 ·
I get a little soot after a tank of diesel (about 700 miles or so).

Not anywhere NEAR the amount of soot I had with the VW TDI Jetta. That thing was just covered with soot each tank of fuel.

Both cars are (were) white.

#8 ·
Just a question, does your exhaust pipe clear the bodywork? I ask this because on my Holden Cruze diesel the pipe turns down before it clears the bodywork. In five years I have not had any blackening of the bodywork even though I was concerned about this from day one.

#9 ·
No blackening around exhaust pipe, just a dusting of soot on the bumper (usually a light layer of sooty dust). Rinses/wipes right off without any scrubbing.

#10 ·
My car is black but I have never observed soot, having said that not like I normally play with my cars tailpipe to check.:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Haha - ours is black too - I think you'd notice the consistency of soot, though. The tailpipe looks just as you'd expect one to.

If there is soot, the emissions system is definitely not working.

#13 ·
I would assume those have deleted might get a small to moderate amount of soot on back of car?

#15 ·
Stock non-deleted.

For good reason, the following is uttered as a (whisper):

(75K, no CELs or emissions problems yet, so I’ll assume the small amount of soot I find on the bumper is ‘normal’...let sleeping dogs lie as they say).

Crossing fingers

#18 ·
Thanks for your experience and info on the soot /lack of on your vehicle or tail pipe. The dealer has ordered the repair parts for the repair. They worked with the Engineers in Detroit and did the full throttle test. They are replacing both the Catalytic Converter and the DPF. While in the shop I'm having the transmission fluid changed, hopefully that will resolve my Bump/Jump/Thunk from a stop. I've asked them to give me a sample of the fluid they removed, I am assuming when new the fluid is pinkish?? The Cat and DPF repair are covered under warranty, whew! Thanks for all the ideas!!

#20 ·
Good to hear they are replacing the DPF, it's definitely bad. No soot either of my gen 1 Cruze Diesels.. and none on my DPF Diesel truck either. With a DPF there should be no soot at the tail pipe.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#24 ·
That happened on my wife's car in the first week! Just the P2002 code, otherwise drove fine. I was stunned when they said it needed a new DPF.. and it did!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I wouldn't say the tailpipe is as clean as day one, but I would agree with most, not soot accumulation on the back of the car at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.