Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Think I read this somewhere before.....

My car only seems to need premium when above 75F outside. Once the winter temperatures set in a month from now, my car will probably only get 89 octane midgrade until next summer.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Only thing any of my vehicles get is ethanol free 91 octane top tier fuel. Made this decision when ethanol did over a thousand buck parts only damage to my Supra.

Even an E10 vehicle like the Cruze runs a lot better on real gas, still the great possibility of getting a bad mix. Whoever said that alcohol and gas doesn't mix didn't know they were talking about ethanol in gas.

Both ignition and valve timing in the 1.4 L are affected by the grade of fuel used, a knock detector determines these parameters. Low octane means a lot less advance, poorer performance and fuel economy. Same bad effects as putting junk food in your body.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I tried premium gas this morning - and am amazed at how much faster, smoother, and quieter the engine is! Worth the extra cost, to me anyway!!

Try it, you wont go back to regular!!
Definitely a plus. It's all I use.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I made the switch last week, Sams club usually has awesome fuel prices so it wasn't bad for me to switch over price wise. Car does all the things you said. Happy I made the switch. Makes me feel like I'm treating my car better with better petrol.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You should see some improvement in fuel economy as well.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I tried premium gas this morning - and am amazed at how much faster, smoother, and quieter the engine is! Worth the extra cost, to me anyway!!

Try it, you wont go back to regular!!
This came to light back during the 2011 model year and it has been repeated every year since. I recall reading that the 1.4L turbo motor was designed to run on 91 E10, but marketing pressure forced published documentation (and a redone tune) to run on 87 E10 to be competitive with the rest of the non-performance compact car segment.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I also noticed that it makes a big difference. I have been keeping track of my fuel in a spreadsheet. In 23 fill ups and about 6 months the Premium has only cost a little over $40 more than I would have paid for regular. Definitely worth the money.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Only thing any of my vehicles get is ethanol free 91 octane top tier fuel. Made this decision when ethanol did over a thousand buck parts only damage to my Supra.

Even an E10 vehicle like the Cruze runs a lot better on real gas, still the great possibility of getting a bad mix. Whoever said that alcohol and gas doesn't mix didn't know they were talking about ethanol in gas.
How would you know the cruze runs better on no ethanol 91E0 fuel? First statement you made was you have never ran ethanol fuel in the cruze. Fact: The cruze runs WAY better with 93E10 premium VS 91E0 premium especially when above 80F outside.

The cruze fuel system is not a crappy toyota one from 20+ years ago, its more than capable of running even higher ethanol concentrations without any corrosion issues. Remember Chevy is number 1 in flexfuel vehicles, toyota still doesn't make any.

A warning to others, if you love your cruze DO NOT put 87E0 in it! My car and another user both experienced severe knock with this fuel. This crap is just made for lawn mowers, chain saws and boat engines, not modern cars.

·
10,712 Posts
This came to light back during the 2011 model year and it has been repeated every year since. I recall reading that the 1.4L turbo motor was designed to run on 91 E10, but marketing pressure forced published documentation (and a redone tune) to run on 87 E10 to be competitive with the rest of the non-performance compact car segment.
Yep, the 2.0T vehicles are priced to the point requiring 91 octane is accepted over us economy class car owners.
Think I read this somewhere before.....

My car only seems to need premium when above 75F outside. Once the winter temperatures set in a month from now, my car will probably only get 89 octane midgrade until next summer.
Mine hated it in the winter as well. Stock and .032 gap on stock plugs.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yep, the 2.0T vehicles are priced to the point requiring 91 octane is accepted over us economy class car owners.

Mine hated it in the winter as well. Stock and .032 gap on stock plugs.
Instead I accepted the 2.0TD

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I never even tried the 1.4T, I do regret that decision but the ltz's go for $1300 more than the diesel in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
42 year went by since the introduction of unleaded gas. No arguments here against getting rid of lead. With some people that lead passes through the blood brain barrier making the stupid and highly aggressive that to me explains our leadership. Intelligent people don't want to run for office.

But nevertheless, unleaded gas was never intended for an internal combustion engine, its flame temperature is around 500 to 700*F than leaded gas that will burn out valves and even put holes in pistons, plus even melt aluminum heads. After 42 years of this stuff, zero effort has been used to even develop a fuel that can burn at a lower temperature.

Vehicles made before the mid 30's did not require leaded fuels, low compression, and 2,000 rpm was the about the maximum engine speed, most of these engines would even run on kerosene. It was the push for faster cars, higher speeds that created the need for the quickest solution they could find was to add lead to gasoline to lower combustion chamber temperatures.

One cure for this was to spray water in with the fuel and used extensively during WW II for high performance engines, but considered too complicated for the common users. So exhaust gas recirculation was adopted it. At maximum speeds as high as 30% exhaust gas recirculation was reqiured that effectively decreases performance by this same amount.

In effect a 1 L engine is only a 0.7 L engine, and if you do have EGR problems, your engine will be toast. Ceramics were considered that could withstand these greater combustion temperatures, but still have the disadvantage of generating excess amounts of NOx's or smog as it is called. Not very good for our health. And its for this same reason that lean burning engines are out of the question, need that richer mixture also besides EGR to keep combustion chambers cool enough.

Plus using a fuel with a high carbon content is not good, very poor heating value, but makes a mess inside of the engine also requiring frequent oil changes plus fouled injectors and spark plugs. Using a fuel like natural gas or methane would cure most of these problems. And since we are finding an excess of natural gas, more talk about exporting it rather than using it.

All this stuff came to light way back in the 60's when we finally realized our automobiles are killing us and a major effort was made by intelligent engineers to get rid of the carbon in gasoline, but dealing with a lead soaked congress or idiots to put it more simply. So the catalytic converter was introduced to limit the amount of highly cancerous HC's. But excessive carbon dioxide wasn't even considered.

Present emission controls are worthless until they reach proper operating temperature, the cure for this was to add oxygen to fuels so they would improve warm up time. Don't know about you, but experiencing a 25% decrease in fuel economy using so called winter gas. And really only effective for the first few miles of operation, but still not an effective cure.

Still garbage in resulting in garbage out and has been this way for over a hundred years. Plus making our vehicles a lot more complicated and expensive where the average person can't even repair them like they use to.

Do we have the technology today to cure these problems? The answer is yes. Are we doing anything about it? The answer is no? Still have idiots running our country.

What brain came up with using our food supply to run our SUV's? Trying to solve one problem by creating a bunch of new ones. Writing your congressman on these key very important issues is just like talking to a wall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have only ever put premium in my car , from the very first day , and i've never looked back. The fuel economy is awesome, is now on a average of 6.6L / 100km and keeps going down ...

Once (and only once) I put regular in, only because I was being a cheap skate, and I regret ever doing it .. She didn't like it to much and it just chewed through it ..

Premium is the way to go in my opinion .............

:th_dblthumb2:

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ya'll making me feel bad since I've found no discernible difference. Tried Sams club 91 and Top Tier BP 93.

Time to recheck the dwell, lighter advance springs, lower the float and increase the cam ratio of the accelerator pump.
I'd weight my float but junior took my float scale to Colorado for some reason :huh:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts