Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been in contact with 3 different NC dealers in hopes of buying a new Cruze. In all cases, they wanted to charge an additional $499.00 doc fee after negotiating a price. I haven't bought a new car since '03 but even then it was a Saturn - no haggle/no fees. After some research I found that this is the new normal. People actually pay this.

Sales guys in all 3 situations explain overheard costs, admin costs, utilities, blah blah. I get it - it costs money to run a dealership. But there are hold backs and other ways for them to make money. Their service centers looked pretty busy, FWIW. So, five hundred bucks to prepare & file some papers? On top of that they weren't willing to come down much at all on the MSRP. "These Cruzes aren't marked up but a few dollars. No real wiggle room. Sorry." I went in armed with some reasonable numbers and got not only nothing but a 1/2 grand kicker in the end, as well. Must be nice to turn away business.

What this is telling me that maybe buying a new car isn't such a smart decision for me. Sales taxes. Higher insurance premiums. Doc fees. Meh. However, I'd like to thank everyone who ~has~ bought a new Cruze. I will be combing Craigslist & other outlets here in a year or two for a nice, privately owned & sold, 3-year old Cruze with low miles for about 10 grand...give or take. No doc fees. No taxes. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Doc fee? GM puts a destination/prep fee of roughly $800 on all their cars and it's built into the MSRP. Saturn used to bury this fee but even in 2003 this fee for GM was around $600. There isn't a lot of overhead in a $20K car, but there is definitely wiggle room, especially for large dealerships with high sales volumes. Are these three dealerships all owned by the same person or group? If not there may be some price fixing going on here. If so, the owner won't want one to undercut the other two.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Very simple, I said No, I have a dealer further away. They then said OK
oom on Autotrader for new cars, limit 500 mi & get quotes.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
If I recall when I bought my Cruze back at the end of June 2011, the dealer informed me that I did not have to pay a document fee (I think around $300), since I was not financing and I would be registering the car. I live in NY and bought the car from a Pennsylvania dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate to sound like a dick, but if its only $500 bucks I would not let that stop me from buying the car I wanted. It sucks but sometimes you have to pay to play.
I gave that a lot of thought but, you know, it's five hundred bucks. That's a lot of scratch to me. I can take that same money, plus the $600.00 or so in sales taxes and do some nice work to my current car - which is where I'm leaning. It stinks being poor, BTW.

Truthfully, it's principal of it. They're already making money off the sale - on more than just the MSRP. I can see an extra $75.00 or so for filing some papers - just not $500.00. And this fee (not destination fee, it's a doc fee) is not negotiable but they ~can~ offset the fee by lowering the car's price. That's what gets me, too. They're not willing to budge on these things. And yes, all three dealerships are independently owned.

I'm still gonna look around some more. I understand everyone has a bottom line & dealers need to make profit. It's just that my bottom line is more important to me.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I gave that a lot of thought but, you know, it's five hundred bucks. That's a lot of scratch to me. I can take that same money, plus the $600.00 or so in sales taxes and do some nice work to my current car - which is where I'm leaning. It stinks being poor, BTW.
I completely understand, I live in a crappy house & work hard for everything I have. when it came time to buy my cruze I knew exactly what I wanted but really didn't have allot down or trade in value. If your getting a loan just remember as much as any fees suck they will be spread out over the life of the loan.

$500 divided by 60months is $8.33 a month. You can offset this buy getting less options or eating out one less time a month. Extra fees are normal with all car company's though some are better at hiding them.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I went 2.5 hours away to buy my Cruze since the dealers local to me at that time were the same way. They didn't want to move off of MSRP on a 2011 Cruze Eco.

It might behoove you to look outside your immediate area. I got a much better deal that way on my 2012 Eco that was built 2 weeks before I purchased it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
550 bucks state sales tax on a used vehicle you paid $10,000 for in Wisconsin, if buying for less than retail in super excellent condition according to top Blue Book values, better get a notarized bill of sale. Or the state IRS will do an audit on you.

When purchasing a brand new car, state sales tax is the sticker price on the vehicle plus destination and dealer prep charges regardless of the discounts or rebates you get. Had 4,300 bucks on my GM Card earnings and received another 700 bucks in discounts. But still had to pay the state that extra 275 bucks, even though I didn't pay that for the Cruze.

If your only means of finding a job to make a living that requires transportation, with the feds, that transportation cost is not deductible, even though its a sizable percentage of your income. But if you are a multi-billionaire with a 47 million buck Gulfstream, that and all the maintenance and crew cost is 100% deductable.

If you flip burgers for a living have to pay a steep FICA pretaxed fee, but if you screw people for living, capital gains, no FICA taxes on that. In my corporate days, believe me, these guys screw and not only their employees.

Look at it this way, with your dealer, feds, and state taking away your last cent, you don't have any money left over to buy all this made in China crap. So they are doing you a favor by saving you a lot of aggravation.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Veterans and spouses of vets with a discharge #, DD214 or USAA members get a $750 discount on top of any other incentives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts