Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

DOD deletes

Tags
deletes dod
4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  SloCruze 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever successfully done this or know how to get rid of our VVT? Because once this happens it means cams will become an option for those of us trying to push the limits of these lil 1.4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
For starters, DoD isn't VVT. DoD (displacement on demand) was the old name for cylinder deactivation. To answer your question, any tuner can modify VVT functionality to support a more aggressive cam. You're going to need a tune for that modification regardless, so that's not going to be a specific problem you have to deal with separately.

Reactions: Tomko
#4 ·
I think you'll have to tune around it. If the VVT became non-functional for any reason, the ECM would set a code. Since you'd need to modify the ECM code to ignore that, you might as well do the tune.

Reactions: Tomko
#5 · (Edited)
Alot of magic happens with VVT on our engines, disabling it will result in less power and economy.

Valve lift doesnt help much, its easier to turn up the boost then to make new cams.
Getting aftermarket pistons allows for a more aggressive scavenging cycle (aka faster turbo spool)

VVT can give you greater cylinder pressures at low rpms, or greater turbo spool depending on load.
High rpm it can once again give you higher and longer cylinder pressures, or give you quick spool depending on load.

Any tune will be extending the cam profiles to give you more of what you want when you want it. +45 lb-ft of torque and more boost with an aggressive cam tune. Slightly better economy when off the boost as well. +6 MPG overall, in my experience.

#6 ·
Alot of magic happens with VVT on our engines, disabling it will result in less power and economy.

Valve lift doesnt help much, its easier to turn up the boost then to make new cams.
Getting aftermarket pistons allows for a more aggressive scavenging cycle (aka faster turbo spool)

And it would run into restriction at the top end as it would be breathing awkwardly
Well I plan on having my cylinder head ported, like I wanna make this thing run like a beast and do things uncommon. Ya know be the poster child for the Cruze builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Heads already have over-sized runners. If you want to push these things turn up the boost!

Reactions: jblackburn
#8 ·
-Forged pistons
-Bigger turbo
-Valve springs
-Bigger injectors
-E85?

Once you've done that and still want more, then you can look into cams - no one has found the need yet, and VVT can do some pretty cool stuff (that's why they went through the trouble of putting it there). Those mods will put a Cruze well into the 200 HP range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.