Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I work for a supplier of Chrysler and we have Dodge darts around all the time. So just for the **** of it I got looking into their Aero version to see how it stacked up against the ECO.

Apparently these come with 160hp and 184tq stock, same size engine. This makes me think our 1.4T is just that much under rated from the factory? I mean if a fiat engine can hold that power with warranty and such, then why cant ours/why didn't ours come stock with those numbers. Since we all know a tune gets to just about those numbers.

One would assume that the fiat 1.4T engine internals are not DRASTICALLY different when compared to Chevys 1.4T. I feel like this gives me a little more reassurance for getting a tune on my ECO at some point?

Opinions/thoughts/comments/putting down of dodge lol.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
It may be they are not rated equally. More probable though is they sacrifice low end torque and mid range to get a higher HP/TQ claim. See it makes people think its better since it has a higher power number, even you questioned it.

I have not drove a dart but from everything I have read the car is a dawg until the turbo spools up. Larger turbo than the cruze? maybe.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thats what GM makes the 1.6 T for its just not marketed here.That engine puts out I think around 180 hp and 170TQ.A nice strong 93 octane tune and the 1.4T exceeds both the dodge and chevy 1.6T.Remember the 1.4T is some what detuned anyway for the US market.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
The 1.4T in the Dart is also nowhere near as reliable as the Cruze 1.4T. They've had plenty of problems with it, which is probably why it was moved to being only in the Dart Aero instead of being available on other trims after only its first model year. It also is tuned differently. It makes its power higher in the rev band compared to the Cruze 1.4T, which has a lot more down low. Two very different approaches to the tuning.

That being said, I liked the Dart, and I liked the Dart 1.4T when it first came out. But in typical Chrysler fashion, it has terrible reliability. Just check out TrueDelta.com for reliability on the Dart. Its terrible across the board. Chrysler makes nice looking and optioned cars, but they just can't make a reliable vehicle to save their lives.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right I understand, but what about when they tune? I was just reading some forums on them and they're hitting just a tad under 200whp with ONLY a tune on the 1.4T.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be they are not rated equally. More probable though is they sacrifice low end torque and mid range to get a higher HP/TQ claim. See it makes people think its better since it has a higher power number, even you questioned it.

I have not drove a dart but from everything I have read the car is a dawg until the turbo spools up. Larger turbo than the cruze? maybe.
We had a 14 or 15 dart aero in the garage on Friday when I left, I'l try to pop the hood on monday and check out the turbo size and see if looks noticeably bigger than the cruze. Can prolly look up service info stuff too lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1.4T in the Dart is also nowhere near as reliable as the Cruze 1.4T. They've had plenty of problems with it, which is probably why it was moved to being only in the Dart Aero instead of being available on other trims after only its first model year. It also is tuned differently. It makes its power higher in the rev band compared to the Cruze 1.4T, which has a lot more down low. Two very different approaches to the tuning.

That being said, I liked the Dart, and I liked the Dart 1.4T when it first came out. But in typical Chrysler fashion, it has terrible reliability. Just check out TrueDelta.com for reliability on the Dart. Its terrible across the board. Chrysler makes nice looking and optioned cars, but they just can't make a reliable vehicle to save their lives.
That is what I've heard quite a bit. Reliability of the 1.4T's.....which is kind of odd to me, because Fiat makes a nice product.....not dodge but Fiat lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why in the world would you think this? Two completely different manufacturers and engines
Same size engine, almost same power levels, used in the same type of vehicle

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excerpt from Powering the 2013-14 Dodge Dart: Chrysler and Fiat engines

The engine produces its strong 184 lb-ft of torque from 2,500 through 4,000 rpm, a wide band for better driveability. The turbocharger has a single charge air cooler, with computer managed boost pressure peaking at a hefty 22 psi at 4,000 rpm.

It uses a standard cast-iron block, with an aluminum bedplate. Bore is 72 mm (2.83 inches) and stroke is 84 mm (3.31 inches) for a total displacement of 1368 cu. cm (83.5 cubic inches), smaller than any engine built by Chrysler in North America. The bottom end is toughened with a forged steel crankshaft, and select-fit main bearings supported across four main journals. The crankshaft has lightened counterweights to reduce overall mass for high engine rpm operation. Forged steel connecting rods have unique cross sections to reduce bending.

Full-floating piston pins add strength to the lightweight pistons, while cooling jets at the bottom of each cylinder squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons, cutting cylinder temperatures and reducing the possibility of hot spots along the cylinder walls or at the top of the piston that could lead to detonation. Noise is reduced and weight saved with a structural aluminum oil pan. As with the ordinary Fiat 500, the engine uses MultiAir (see Allpar’s 1.4 engines page).
In the U.S., the compression ratio is 9.8:1; the engine can run on regular but premium is preferred. The engine takes four quarts of oil, synthetic 5W-40 recommended, with oil change intervals are set at 8,000 miles. Coil-on-plug ignition fires dual-tip spark plugs. Fuel injectors spray at the intake valves. The turbocharger spins up to 230,000 rpm [verified by engineer David M. Schmidt], forcing extra air into the cylinders; it normally runs at 210,000 rpm. The system uses two charge air coolers (commonly referred to as intercoolers) behind the driver- and passenger-side air inlets; these reduce the heat of the high-pressure air, allowing for higher air density and reducing the potential for engine knock.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also runs boost numbers of Chevy 1.4T tuned....from what I've read

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I was very interested in the Dart 1.4T, but I wasn't buying a 1st model year car (especially not a Chrysler product), and then they moved it to the Aero only model. If its such a good engine, then why would Dodge make the decision to move it into Aero model only? I wanted to like the Dart, but Dodge botched the launch and subsequent model year changes so badly it ruined the car.

All said and done, if you didn't have to worry about reliability, it does make nice power, and it does have a nice exhaust note for a compact. But I plan on keeping my Cruze for the long haul (150k+ miles).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was very interested in the Dart 1.4T, but I wasn't buying a 1st model year car (especially not a Chrysler product), and then they moved it to the Aero only model. If its such a good engine, then why would Dodge make the decision to move it into Aero model only? I wanted to like the Dart, but Dodge botched the launch and subsequent model year changes so badly it ruined the car.

All said and done, if you didn't have to worry about reliability, it does make nice power, and it does have a nice exhaust note for a compact. But I plan on keeping my Cruze for the long haul (150k+ miles).
Yea I completely agree. They do have nice interiors and things like hill assist for the manual, and project housings stock. They definitely have a few more things that I kinda wanted compared to the cruise ECO but like you said the long term reliability and the fact that it's only offered in one trim is odd.

However the exhaust from the 500 abarth(just about same engine, slightly diff tune) sounds **** good for a factory exhaust. They're always revving the piss out of it back in the validation garage haha.

·
Registered
158 Posts
dodges 1.4 t runs 8 more pounds of boost on a stock tune! thats why it makes more power and has more problems! and i have raced areos and we pull the same until i shift into 4th with my eco gearset the dart started to pull away

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The darts coolest feature is that the headrests move ahead in the event of a rear end collision to help prevent whiplash

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Another thing to note is the weight differences. The Dart is a heavier car. A Cruze Eco weighs about 150-175 lbs less than a comparable Dart Aero. A Cruze LTZ weighs about 100 lbs less than a comparable Dart Limited. So the power difference is almost negated in the weight difference.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.