Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes we have heard about this problem already and today 33 .8 million total Takada airbags are being recalled. I'm not sure GM is part of this recall?

Under pressure from U.S. safety regulators, Takata Corp. has agreed to declare 33.8 million air bags defective, a move that will double the number of cars and trucks included in what is now the largest auto recall in U.S. history.
The chemical that inflates the air bags can explode with too much force, blowing apart a metal inflator and sending shrapnel into the passenger compartment. The faulty inflators are responsible for six deaths and more than 100 injuries worldwide.
The agreement adds more than 18 million air bags to existing recalls, covering both the passenger and driver's side. The recalls of passenger-side air bags, previously limited to high-humidity states along the Gulf Coast, are now expanded nationwide by 10.2 million vehicles. A nationwide recall of driver's side air bags was expanded to include an additional 7.9 million vehicles.
"We know that owners are worried about their safety and the safety of their families," said Mark Rosekind, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as he announced the agreement. "This is probably the most complex consumer safety recall in U.S. history."
Safety regulators sparred with Takata for the past year over the size of the recalls and the cause of the problem. For the most part, the air bag maker refused to declare the inflators defective and even questioned the agency's authority to order it to conduct a recall.
Takata and 11 automakers that use its air bags, including Honda Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp., will have to sort out which vehicles are covered by the expanded recalls. NHTSA said the number of affected air bags could climb.
Prior to Tuesday, automakers had recalled 36 million vehicles worldwide because of the problem.
Before Takata, the largest recall in U.S. history was in 1980 when Ford Motor Co. had to fix 21 million cars and trucks with automatic transmissions that could slip into reverse. The Takata recall dwarfs last year's highly publicized recall of 2.6 million General Motors small cars for defective ignition switches and Toyota's recalls of 10 million vehicles for problems with unintended acceleration.
Rosekind said the agency and auto industry are still trying to determine precisely what is causing Takata's inflators to explode, but action needed to be taken immediately.
Takata's air bags use ammonium nitrate to inflate in a crash. But the chemical, which can be used to make bombs, is volatile. So far, testing has found that airborne moisture can get into the inflators and cause the ammonium nitrate to burn hotter than it should, Rosekind said.
He urged car owners who get recall notices in the mail should immediately make an appointment to get their cars fixed. Owners can key in their vehicle identification number at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ to see if their car is part of the recall. The number is stamped on the dashboard near the driver's side windshield and also can be found on state auto registration documents.
On Feb. 20, NHTSA began fining Takata $14,000 per day for failing to fully cooperate in the investigation. That fine accrued to more than $1.2 million before it was suspended Tuesday due to Takata's cooperation, NHTSA officials said. Other civil penalties are still possible, they said.
Still, it likely will be months or longer before Takata and other companies can manufacture all the needed replacement inflators. Inflators will be allocated to older cars and to high-humidity areas first, where people are most at risk, the agency said. The expansion will cost Takata millions of dollars.
Takata CEO Shigehisa Takada said in a statement that the action is a "clear path" to restoring the trust of automakers and drivers.
"We are committed to continuing to work closely with NHTSA and our automaker customers to do everything we can to advance the safety of drivers," he said.
————

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
You can go to NHTSA's recall page, plug in your VIN and see if ypur car is included.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I believe all car manufactures use these airbags. From what I hear its the blasting caps material that is bad. When that material get moist they don't ignite. The engineers have said something to the owners of takeda but to save some money they used substandard material like a lot of companies do.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I believe the 2011-2012 cruze uses a different airbag than the 2013+. The 2013+ uses one variable speed airbag where the 2011-2012 uses two separate bags one for low speed and one for high speed crashes. Will have to check but think only the 2013+ uses the Takada air bag. Does anyone remember after GM switched to this airbag some young woman lost her eye when the airbag threw shrapnel all over the car?

I agree with Jim Frye, find out how to check and see if your car is effected!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Yes, and the Cruze has a past recall on the driver's side for that. I'm not sure if the expanded recall affects us or not. Just taking a quick read, it looks like we may have to take our cars back in for the passenger side airbag.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I just visited the address in the article above https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ which redirected me to the Chevrolet Recall Center, the same center I have bookmarked on my computer. There is no news.
I went to a different section where you only input year/make/model. Only 4 recalls for 2013:

Engine Block Heater Power Cord Damage (July 2014)
Driver's Front Air Bag Inflator Rupture (June 2014)
Front Right Half Shaft may Fracture (March 2014)
Front Right Half Shaft may Fracture (September 2013)

So either it's not affected or it hasn't made it's way into their system yet.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Interesting. All of the local and national news shows today have been directing folks to the NHTSA site to look up their VINs for the recall. I went to this site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

And got this message:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

I went to CarComplaints.com and looked at their recall page which lists today's announcement, but it says that the full list of vehicles affected by today's recall is not available yet. I suspect our news media is woefully uninformed and following its normal operation of trying to be first rather than right.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/takata-airbag-recalls-34-million.shtml

·
Administrator
25,109 Posts
Since this was just announced today I suspect it will be a few weeks before GM identifies and publishes all the VINs their affected cars.

·
10,695 Posts
I believe the 2011-2012 cruze uses a different airbag than the 2013+. The 2013+ uses one variable speed airbag where the 2011-2012 uses two separate bags one for low speed and one for high speed crashes. Will have to check but think only the 2013+ uses the Takada air bag. Does anyone remember after GM switched to this airbag some young woman lost her eye when the airbag threw shrapnel all over the car?

I agree with Jim Frye, find out how to check and see if your car is effected!
Not 100% on that but the actual connections for 11/12 and 13+ are different when you pull the bags to dip or install another wheel.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,594 Posts
I don't think it's Takata, but this showed up:

Untitled-1.jpg

I've actually had my airbag light come on, and something similar to this was described to me by the dealer (my car was built October 2011).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I don't think it's Takata, but this showed up:

View attachment 147642

I've actually had my airbag light come on, and something similar to this was described to me by the dealer (my car was built October 2011).
Hello jblackburn,

We will continue to work closely with NHTSA to share our data and test results. At GM, safety is a foundational commitment, and we put our customers at the center of everything we do. We're sorry to hear that you feel your vehicle might be affected by this recall and would be happy to check for any recalls related to your concern by using your VIN. Feel free to send us a private message containing your VIN and we'll proceed accordingly.

Thank you,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,109 Posts
Jasmine, can you let us know when GM has updated their recall database so our members can check?

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am not having luck with the NSHTA site.

GM site says for my car, but I expect this to change:

Currently, there are no recalls or programs associated with your 2014 Chevrolet Cruze

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Correct site for this Takata recall is:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/takata

As seen on TV.

Select the make of your vehicle, then insert your VIN.

For the Cruze, mainly the 2013/14 models, and GM has put a hold on all new Cruze sales for the 2015 models.

Ha, looking like model year 2012 is the best year for the Cruze. Repaired problems from the 2011, started to cheapen them up 2013 on up.

This is ancient history in the automotive world.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not too good it seems? That is the same site I posted yesterday and it just bounces me back to the manufacturer site. Nick's link gives me a 404 error. However it is clear that Takata does supply G.M. with airbags:signs053:

Please Note: If you are checking to see if your vehicle is affected by the Takata air bag recalls, it generally takes anywhere from a few days to several weeks for automakers to gather individual VINs associated with a recall. It is important that you check back periodically as a recall on your vehicle may not show up immediately

1 - 20 of 47 Posts