Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 Cruze Diesel in October, had scheduled service at dealer in January, and then again two weeks ago at 16,000 kms. A week later I get a message on the dash that I'm low on exhaust fluid. Huh? I just had it serviced. Next I get a warning that my speed will be limited soon due to low exhaust fluid. Then the check engine light comes on. What!?

I leave work early and take it it in yesterday not too pleased with all this crap and it turns out it's my fault. What? Come again? Yes it's my fault due to the fact that during service the only fluid they don't check is the exhaust fluid and that is my responsibility. Of course this was never mentioned. So in other words they will check the windshield washer fluid but not the exhaust fluid?? Yup that's my responsibility! Screw us Diesel Owners!

i was looking for the hidden cameras...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its kind of like gas..... they don't check that sooooooo yeah
I can't tell if you are joking or not but clearly something that gets topped so infrequently is not like topping up gas. it's not at all top of mind to a new diesel owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has nothing to do with GM, but with the dealership you took your car to
Isn't it GM that sets the service schedule? It just seems so odd to me that it should be systematically ignored when it is so vital to the running of the car. Maybe it is just this dealership...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I bought my 2014 Cruze Diesel in October, had scheduled service at dealer in January, and then again two weeks ago at 16,000 kms. A week later I get a message on the dash that I'm low on exhaust fluid. Huh? I just had it serviced. Next I get a warning that my speed will be limited soon due to low exhaust fluid. Then the check engine light comes on. What!?

I leave work early and take it it in yesterday not too pleased with all this crap and it turns out it's my fault. What? Come again? Yes it's my fault due to the fact that during service the only fluid they don't check is the exhaust fluid and that is my responsibility. Of course this was never mentioned. So in other words they will check the windshield washer fluid but not the exhaust fluid?? Yup that's my responsibility! Screw us Diesel Owners!

i was looking for the hidden cameras...
Welcome to the forum. I am not sure why Canada doesn't get the DEF included in the free service. Dealer quality varies greatly though.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have no idea if DEF top ups are included with the car, but unless you live right next to the dealer, it will be cheaper to fill it yourself with DEF bought locally than the fuel burned driving to the dealer and back. DEF is that cheap.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I believe GM cares quite a bit about the success of their re-entry into diesel powered automobiles.

That being said, it looks like your dealer cares very little......however.....your dashboard display does show DEF level expressed as percentage.....you should get to know the features of your car.....it has very good info available to help you enjoy the product.

I do think that the dealer would be well advised to ask diesel owners if they want the DEF tank topped off during the service though.

Rob

A day later but I wish to add a thought:

I have to wonder why Chevrolet Canada decided that omitting a DEF top off, as part of the 2/24 free maintenance program, is/was a viable decision from a business standpoint.
A flawed logic IMO.....By providing this additional service, and telling the owner it was provided, it helps educate the owner about some of the special requirements this vehicle requires.

Like I said....just a thought,
Rob

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Easy to just top it off after your service. I change oil at 7000 miles. At that time I top of the DEF. About a little over a gallon. Couple dollars. Not a big deal and I'm good till next oil change. Cost no more than some spend on a cup of coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Not sure if DEF is included in the 2/24 service schedule in Canada. But GM definitely cares about the Cruze Diesel. When I worked at the dealer, you should have seen them parade that thing around from dealership, to dealership about 3-4 months before it came out. GM owns a Jetta TDI that they show the Cruze around with so you can compare the two. They care about the diesel, a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, it does seem like it depends on the dealer (though it really shouldn't), I just had my first free oil change service, at 8,500 mi (as opposed to the expected 6,000), and they did top up the DEF, without asking. Had to check with them afterwards though, as it was not spelled out on the service record -- just said "fluids checked".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe I have never cared but when I take my car in for service they never topped off the DEF. For me its such a small expense compared to everything else I dont mind filling it every so often. Now what I do wish I could find is a jug that is not 2.5 gallons. I would be happy with a 3 gallon and a 1 gallon jug. Either way I am still buying two jugs of DEF fluid per fill up. **** give me a 5 gallon jug with a free siphon or pump for $20 vs the $24 I pay for 2 2.5 gallon jugs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's not just the Diesel Cruze that is having the issue.
Our sons selling dealer tried to charge him to fill the DEF on his '15 GMC Duramax on it's first oil change.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
A week later I get a message on the dash that I'm low on exhaust fluid....
[Non-diesel person] I totally thought this was a gag thread until I saw the replies. Exhaust fluid sounds like the prank we used to pull on the chicks in high school that their blinker fluid was low. [/non-diesel person]

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread other than my exclamation of ignorance! Carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
[Non-diesel person] I totally thought this was a gag thread until I saw the replies. Exhaust fluid sounds like the prank we used to pull on the chicks in high school that their blinker fluid was low. [/non-diesel person]

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread other than my exclamation of ignorance! Carry on.
Wait till you hear what the DEF is made of. Lol

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Lol it's not camel urine like some would believe but it is basically except made in a lab.

Sent from the sexy electrician

1 - 20 of 116 Posts