Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I remember reading on the last gen cruze that the best mod for the 1.4l was removing something under the airbox? Some piping or something? Does that still apply to my 2016 Cruze? If so anyone know if it's the same process?

·
10,712 Posts
Hey I remember reading on the last gen cruze that the best mod for the 1.4l was removing something under the airbox? Some piping or something? Does that still apply to my 2016 Cruze? If so anyone know if it's the same process?
Won't know till someone tries. Looks like they have a silencer in the zip tube as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For your second gen Cruze, another option would be to wait for GM's engined Cruze air intake system due mid 2017, part number #84083963. Final testing on it is now underway, and in fact talked to several GM affiliated test drivers/engineers who said that the combo of that intake, the performance exhaust (PN #84152660 -- also scheduled for mid 2017 availability), and the suspension lowering kit (PN #84105410, available soon) made the car a hoot to drive, and so equipped, it handled the autocross/track really well.

Based on past GM pricing, the GM air box will many times the K&N drop in air filter, however, produce more HP than just the filter. Or, buy the K&N and if you want more mid next year, you could then upgrade to the GM air box intake system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
call me crazy, but when i did that airbox mod on my 2014 LTZ i didnt notice anything. Maybe it's because mine is an automatic and not manual, but until i installed my SRI, i didnt hear/feel a thing.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For your second gen Cruze, another option would be to wait for GM's engined Cruze air intake system due mid 2017, part number #84083963. Final testing on it is now underway, and in fact talked to several GM affiliated test drivers/engineers who said that the combo of that intake, the performance exhaust (PN #84152660 -- also scheduled for mid 2017 availability), and the suspension lowering kit (PN #84105410, available soon) made the car a hoot to drive, and so equipped, it handled the autocross/track really well.

Based on past GM pricing, the GM air box will many times the K&N drop in air filter, however, produce more HP than just the filter. Or, buy the K&N and if you want more mid next year, you could then upgrade to the GM air box intake system.
In my opinion the RS package should include all these from the factory. I never understood why they never produced a performance packaged Cruze.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,195 Posts
In my opinion the RS package should include all these from the factory. I never understood why they never produced a performance packaged Cruze.
The RS package, since its introduction on the 1st gen Camaro, has always been an appearance package (excluding the one vehicle which did not follow the typical RS "formula", the Sonic RS).

An SS model, on the other hand, should have existed on the 1st gen Cruze - it's really a shame it didn't. With the 2nd Gen Cruze being a lot lighter, I feel like now is the time, as you'd have an SS Cruze that is much closer to the weight of the Cobalt SS than the 1st gen Cruze ever was.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The air box is for the gen 2, 1.4L turbo found in the Cruze. The upcoming factory air box mod, PN # 89083963 will generate more than a few more HP -- per the GM Milford Prooving Ground Development Engineer in charge of the project. He shared with me the range of the extra HP on the condition that since it has not been finalized, that amount is not to be publicly shared. I was amazed at what he told me, especially as that air box does not require a tune to produce its extra power (not that it would not produce even more if the engine were also tuned). That fact that it produces extra power without a tune, and that it is a GM part, means not a single warranty issue if a later issue.

All we need is patience, for that part is scheduled to not become available until mid-2017.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,203 Posts
The RS package, since its introduction on the 1st gen Camaro, has always been an appearance package (excluding the one vehicle which did not follow the typical RS "formula", the Sonic RS).

An SS model, on the other hand, should have existed on the 1st gen Cruze - it's really a shame it didn't. With the 2nd Gen Cruze being a lot lighter, I feel like now is the time, as you'd have an SS Cruze that is much closer to the weight of the Cobalt SS than the 1st gen Cruze ever was.
It gets you snazzy wheels/tires on the Gen 2! Woo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So.. I opened the airbox on the 2016 and its a cone filter. There is nothing under it at all. I simply took off the bottom part of the air box, turned it over exposing the round filter. As soon as i did that you could hear the turbo just like a cold air intake

·
Registered
48 Posts
According to the Chevy website the cruze RS package on the LT adds a rear sway bar, since the LT does not come with one. LTZ already has one, so RS LTZ doesn't add any "performance" parts but the RS on the LT does.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,203 Posts
so RS LTZ doesn't add any "performance" parts but the RS on the LT does.
Well, sorta. The tires/wheels that you get with the RS Premier are MUCH more grippy (Michelin MXM4) than the regular 17's. Little more road noise/less ride comfort, though.

Other than that, no. You do get Z-Link with the standard Premier model that you don't get on the LT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just went and did what you said you did with the air box ( Cruze Hatchback ) and I totally saw the cone type filter. I was thinking on buying those nets for K&N filters ( sorry I don't know the real name of them ) and wrap the stock filter with it and then run her for like 5 miles and see if I noticed any issues. I also saw kinda like a return air hose that goes in the bottom part of the air box. Don't know what that's for.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I just went and did what you said you did with the air box ( Cruze Hatchback ) and I totally saw the cone type filter. I was thinking on buying those nets for K&N filters ( sorry I don't know the real name of them ) and wrap the stock filter with it and then run her for like 5 miles and see if I noticed any issues. I also saw kinda like a return air hose that goes in the bottom part of the air box. Don't know what that's for.
Hydroshield.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Unless GM drops a tune with it, 0HP/OTQ would be the accurate since gen 1 kills mods after it figures out you modded w/o a tune.
Wrong. The PCM adjusts fuel trims according to the o2 sensor readings. The stock airbox does not allow for a clean and accurate reading across the MAF so they use a restrictive air filter to basically slow the air down enough to make it less turbulent across the MAF. The smoother the airflow across the MAF makes for a more accurate reading and less fuel trimming required by the o2 sensors.

·
10,712 Posts
Wrong. The PCM adjusts fuel trims according to the o2 sensor readings. The stock airbox does not allow for a clean and accurate reading across the MAF so they use a restrictive air filter to basically slow the air down enough to make it less turbulent across the MAF. The smoother the airflow across the MAF makes for a more accurate reading and less fuel trimming required by the o2 sensors.
Your proof or restrictive air box in old and new gen is? Have you actually opened the air box of a GM vehicle and see the air straightener? Honeycomb in the 90 and H bars in the Cruze? Unless you have proof, you need to stop telling people an intake w/o a tune (2 gen is too new to test that just yet) on the Cruze is productive when we have years of people running slower 1/4 times because they did this w/o a tune.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Your proof or restrictive air box in old and new gen is? Have you actually opened the air box of a GM vehicle and see the air straightener? Honeycomb in the 90 and H bars in the Cruze? Unless you have proof, you need to stop telling people an intake w/o a tune (2 gen is too new to test that just yet) on the Cruze is productive when we have years of people running slower 1/4 times because they did this w/o a tune.
That's the case on most cars. A cold air intake generally will piss the computer off, causing a CEL. A couple people have had luck with CAIs on the Cruze Diesel, but others have run them for a short period of time, ended up with CELs and a car that ran like ****, and went back to stop. If it was a true benefit (without a tune), I, an engineer, would have installed one. If I get a tune, sure, I'd be okay taking advantage of slightly improved airflow, but I have no intention of installing it on the stock calibration.

These days, the stock equipment is nearly as good as a cold air intake will be. There's no real reason for them to design a sub-par intake tract, when horsepower and fuel economy are such big selling points.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have my own 2017 Cruze. And I've tried to post pics of my air filter swap but for whatever reason it won't let me. I replaced the stock filter with an AEM dryflow filter and there's no air straightener before the maf. I don't need to show proof just because you don't know how these things work. It's a possibility that a SRI wouldn't improve peak hp but low-mid range improvements would most likely be there due to the quicker turbo spool time and less low speed air restriction in front of the compressor. All of this equates to torque moreso than horsepower under the curve.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts