Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Does that airbox mod work on the new 1.4L Turbo? (LE2)

20K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  CrimsonRain 
#1 ·
Hey I remember reading on the last gen cruze that the best mod for the 1.4l was removing something under the airbox? Some piping or something? Does that still apply to my 2016 Cruze? If so anyone know if it's the same process?

#4 ·
For your second gen Cruze, another option would be to wait for GM's engined Cruze air intake system due mid 2017, part number #84083963. Final testing on it is now underway, and in fact talked to several GM affiliated test drivers/engineers who said that the combo of that intake, the performance exhaust (PN #84152660 -- also scheduled for mid 2017 availability), and the suspension lowering kit (PN #84105410, available soon) made the car a hoot to drive, and so equipped, it handled the autocross/track really well.

Based on past GM pricing, the GM air box will many times the K&N drop in air filter, however, produce more HP than just the filter. Or, buy the K&N and if you want more mid next year, you could then upgrade to the GM air box intake system.

#5 ·
call me crazy, but when i did that airbox mod on my 2014 LTZ i didnt notice anything. Maybe it's because mine is an automatic and not manual, but until i installed my SRI, i didnt hear/feel a thing.

#17 ·
Wrong. The PCM adjusts fuel trims according to the o2 sensor readings. The stock airbox does not allow for a clean and accurate reading across the MAF so they use a restrictive air filter to basically slow the air down enough to make it less turbulent across the MAF. The smoother the airflow across the MAF makes for a more accurate reading and less fuel trimming required by the o2 sensors.

#9 ·
The air box is for the gen 2, 1.4L turbo found in the Cruze. The upcoming factory air box mod, PN # 89083963 will generate more than a few more HP -- per the GM Milford Prooving Ground Development Engineer in charge of the project. He shared with me the range of the extra HP on the condition that since it has not been finalized, that amount is not to be publicly shared. I was amazed at what he told me, especially as that air box does not require a tune to produce its extra power (not that it would not produce even more if the engine were also tuned). That fact that it produces extra power without a tune, and that it is a GM part, means not a single warranty issue if a later issue.

All we need is patience, for that part is scheduled to not become available until mid-2017.

#30 ·
You know, I grew up around the proving grounds, I work at the nearest Chevrolet dealership to the proving grounds, I bought the first manual hatch in Michigan, and I'm still not waiting for the GM airbox. I'm sure it will be a quality piece, like they always are, but I doubt it's anything special. The lowering springs are a 10mm drop, slightly stiffer; the intake will be a quality item, and the exhaust is a borla catback.

I can get all those things myself. :p

#13 ·
so RS LTZ doesn't add any "performance" parts but the RS on the LT does.
Well, sorta. The tires/wheels that you get with the RS Premier are MUCH more grippy (Michelin MXM4) than the regular 17's. Little more road noise/less ride comfort, though.

Other than that, no. You do get Z-Link with the standard Premier model that you don't get on the LT.

#14 ·
I just went and did what you said you did with the air box ( Cruze Hatchback ) and I totally saw the cone type filter. I was thinking on buying those nets for K&N filters ( sorry I don't know the real name of them ) and wrap the stock filter with it and then run her for like 5 miles and see if I noticed any issues. I also saw kinda like a return air hose that goes in the bottom part of the air box. Don't know what that's for.

#15 ·
Hydroshield.

#26 ·
By 2000 RPM it's giving you all 177 ft lb, and it feels like it gives you a healthy bit even down at 1500 anyway. But yeah, it won't go over set tq targets - the ECU reins everything back in. People would do exhaust and intake mods on the 1st gen platform without a tune, which would feel good for the first day or two, and then the ECU would adjust everything back to stock.

You MAY see slightly better throttle tip-in response as a result of your filter swap, just as we did by removing the intake snorkel ductwork on the older cars.

#27 ·
By 2000 RPM it's giving you all 177 ft lb, and it feels like it gives you a healthy bit even down at 1500 anyway. But yeah, it won't go over set tq targets - the ECU reins everything back in. People would do exhaust and intake mods on the 1st gen platform without a tune, which would feel good for the first day or two, and then the ECU would adjust everything back to stock.

You MAY see slightly better throttle tip-in response as a result of your filter swap, just as we did by removing the intake snorkel duct work on the older cars.
That mod was just enough to not make the car mad at you plus add a small amount of turbo in cabin w/o pissing of the S/O if you went full CAI. Being the intake didn't do much and having a FMIC, I just made a hole in the box pre filter side on the gen 1 and added a hard pipe to give that engine induction through hard pipes SRI sound and still look stockish.

#32 ·
Hi there,

I wish to hear the turbo, just for pleasure, not horsepower gain. This mod removing the bottom box someone tryed?

Mine is a 16-17 cruze 1.4 (new model)

Thanks!
I felt the same as you. I love my cruze and love to hear the turbo doing its thing when I shift. But two sensors MAF and MAP throwing codes and even got an Engine Power Reduced alert.. when you see that the car becomes barely drive-able. I pray you avoid my woes. There are many opinions on the matter. I feel it all leads back to my MAF sensor not getting the air its used to because of my CAI upgrade. Seems logical. May try air straightener before I give up all hope and revert back to old CAI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.