Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rear ended yesterday turning left into my neighborhood. I was at a complete stop with blinker on waiting for a break in oncoming traffic. A little Kia soul ran straight into the back of me without even breaking going about 40-50MPH. (Their car is for sure totaled). The damage looks mostly cosmetic. It is still drivable, none of the wheel wells are obstructed, the airbags did not deploy (Though a service airbag light came on and there was smoke coming from under the glove box, I think it might be a fried sensor), and everything seems to be functioning.
I'm really surprised that the damage is not worse than this considering how fast they were going, but like I said their car is totaled. I guess I can't submit my car for cruze of the month anymore.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Chevrolet
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Trunk
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Car Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive window part

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
totaled. the wrinkles on the sails compromise the integrity
Agreed. The last two photos does it in. I can't see any insurance company spending the money to straighten it out.

Reactions: BenW

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I suspect it will be totalled based on the damage to the C pillars and the fact that your service airbag light came on.

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
It did it’s job. It died for you. But someone will take it out of salvage, fix and flip it to some unsuspecting soul.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
It might be totaled, not really enough information, the older the car for sure totaled. If it is a 2016 it has more value than a 2012; how many miles, etc.

I would say this, I don’t think the Kia was going 50 mph, if they had been at that rate of speed your car would have a LOT more damage.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
It might be totaled, not really enough information, the older the car for sure totaled. If it is a 2016 it has more value than a 2012; how many miles, etc.

I would say this, I don’t think the Kia was going 50 mph, if they had been at that rate of speed your car would have a LOT more damage.
As so often happens in a rear ender, I think the Kia went under the Cruze. For all we know they lost everything above the bumper all the way back to the firewall. I suspect the real damage to the Cruze is to the frame and floor of the trunk. The C pillar and the way the trunk lid is raised near the back window suggests things are out of place.

Yeah, I'm sure someone can make it look presentable. Pity the guy or gal who doesn't do a title search.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
As so often happens in a rear ender, I think the Kia went under the Cruze. For all we know they lost everything above the bumper all the way back to the firewall. I suspect the real damage to the Cruze is to the frame and floor of the trunk. The C pillar and the way the trunk lid is raised near the back window suggests things are out of place.

Yeah, I'm sure someone can make it look presentable. Pity the guy or gal who doesn't do a title search.
The pics don’t really show all the potential damage as you stated. Really good repair guys can fix almost anything, it appears fixable but we can’t really see everything. Restoration shops fix old cars with rust and all sorts of damage, the difference is most of the time folks spend more than the car is worth and obviously insurance companies do not do that. A Chevrolet Cruze can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No way in **** was the Kia going 40-50MPH. 20 tops. With used parts and a wholesale body shop, that can be fixed for $2500.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rule of thumb is from my two experiences.
Insurance companies will not spend more than 75% of the value of the vehicle to repair it. The value they use is retail. To this day I don't know why they don't use the sane book value. Blue book, black book and gold book. The 75% is a cushion for hidden damage found after repairs are made. There are always hidden costs once a vehicle is in under repair. So you need to figure out the cost of repairs and the value of the vehicle and use the 75% method. That will give you a baseline idea. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts