Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just towed my 2014 LTZ behind my motor home on a dolly. Front wheels up, steering wheel strapped in place as per the owners manual. Unloaded and had ABS and Stabilitrack lights on accompanied with a burning rubber smell as it idled. CONCERNED!! I drove it around the campground and the lights went out as did the smell.

Any ideas what may have caused this? Did I miss a step prior to towing? Need advice.....definitely don't want to do any permanent damage.

Thanks to all!
Lyle

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Not that I know what the smell or lights mean but I’m curious...did you tow with the ignition key in the on position (steering wheel unlocked)?

Some tow dollies have a steerable axle so the towed vehicle must have the front wheels unlocked while on the dolly.

If it was towed a distance with the ignition on, perhaps that somehow affected the ABS? Not sure why...Just a thought.

EDIT: DISREGARD, tow dolly requires steering wheel LOCKED (ignition OFF)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Some tow dollies have a steerable axle so the towed vehicle must have the front wheels unlocked while on the dolly.
Any dolly I've seen with some form of steering capability should have the wheels solidly strapped to the dolly, and letting the car's steering flop around doesn't help that. Lock the steering so the car doesn't wiggle around on long trips and meet up with a dolly fender.

Caster steering dollies (Demco/Landgrebe), the car stays put on the dolly, the dolly wheels steer like front wheels on a car.

Swivel pan steering dollies (most brands, especially the cheap ones), the car stays put on a platform which is held to the dolly frame with one pivot bolt, the dolly chassis swings on the pivot, steers like a wagon.

Non-steering dollies (the only moving parts are the wheel bearings) might benefit from the car moving around a bit, but I have no experience with those.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Thanks @Taxman I stand corrected.

I confused towing my Jetta on a Demco Kar Kaddy SS with flat-towing my Tacoma. The Tacoma had to have the steering unlocked (ignition ON) because it was flat-towed. The Jetta towed on the dolly with the steering locked (ignition OFF).

So, that leaves the OP’s original question, why the burning smell and ABS/Stabilitrak lights?

Hopefully some ideas out there...

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
If the ignition was on, I can imagine all sorts of warnings from the car thinking the front wheel sensors weren't working, but can't explain the smell, unless stabilitrak has the ability to put the back brakes on to stabilize the car. (that last is the reason why I have to pull a fuse to dolly tow a BAS equipped Mercedes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts